Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t know how successful the Model Y = Model 3 false narrative will be. I do think it’s in our interest to be aware that this messaging is likely to be run across media like a large ad campaign.

Think about what you're saying and ask yourself why the narrative that the Model Y is just a re-tooled Model 3 even needs to be countered.

Model 3 is, in the most important metrics, the best car in the world. Making it significantly bigger inside with capacity for two more occupants only makes it better with very minimal downside (other than the additional $4,000 price).

Yes, Virginia, it's true. The Model Y is just a bigger Model 3. Now, a bigger Ford Pinto would be a bad thing. A bigger Tesla Model 3? Most peoples nirvana.

It's a ~$25K car meant to compete in the small hatchback segment, potentially available by 2024. Subsequently, Elon has tweeted that Tesla is forming an engineering development team in China to work on a new car design. It makes sense that that would be the Model 2 team, since China and SE Asia would be its biggest market.

I'd think Europe would be a big market for a smaller car too. Or really most places that aren't North America. Though the price might make it popular here too even though the form factor isn't the current trend... though even then NA would probably be a smaller market than EU and SE Asia.. in NA I'd think a 25k Tesla would outsell the S+X, but not the 3+Y, whereas elsewhere I would be unsurprised to see it do numbers similar to 3 and/or Y.

Question. I rightfully sense the Bears are about to pounce with something stupid as usual.

Yeah, they'll be working overtime in their secret lair on skull island this weekend to conjure a new line of attack. "Flat revenue / growth story is over" won't hunt now that GF3 is winding up, so their go-to plan for Q4 FUD is already shot. o_O

Next week they'll need to fend off that Solar Roof v.3 goodness and light, then Tesla Cybertruck drops in about a month. Then the EU/GF4 announcement is imminent. How long exactly until Battery and Powertrain Day? :D

Dem shortz will be hit with so many lefts they'll be begging for rights... :p

Best to cover now, bois.

Cheers!

That attempt to re-portray the model Y as nothing more than a bloated model three, is already well underway in the comment sections of Electrek, Reddit and InsideEvs.
That's an epically stupid argument and won't work. Consumers don't care what something was, they care what it IS.

"Oh, this car looks nice and I can fit my stroller in the back with my 3 kids."
"That's just a modwel thwee with hatch dun buy bankwuptcy!"
"uhh, ok. Yes, Tesla? I'd like to buy this car please. I don't know what a modwel thwee is but I like this thing."

Not all news mentions of Tesla are negative. I was really surprised to read the following on CNN:

Telsa helped pave the way toward clean energy because understood the physics behind energy and what might be possible in the future.

Tesla would be willing to lose money if it would help people.

oh, wait, different Tesla