Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They don't plan on making the batteries themselves AFAIK:

Two Gigafactories building batteries planned in Europe. I have this info from a radio broadcast I randomly caught in my car. These are not Tesla factories. They call themselves Gigafactories.

Comparable in size to Tesla in Nevada newcomers Freyr in Norway and Northvolt in Sweden are the only two battery cell factories planned in Europe. There are other battery factories planned - but they assemble batteries from cells they buy from existing producers. These new factories will make the actual cells needed.

Northvolt has completed it's first equity capital raise for their factory in Skellefteå. Volkswagen and BMW are among their investors.

The Norwegian startup Freyr is planning to set up battery cell factories in the gigawatt range. The first plant should be located in Rana, Norway and greater plans for a “Nordic Battery Belt” with at least ten plants are in the pipeline.
Battery making startup Freyr plans belt of Gigafactories - electrive.com

Freyr have announced plans for a first factory in Mo i Rana. SINTEF partner announces plans to build a battery cell giga-factory in Norway - SINTEF

The local government in Mo i Rana has prioritized this project: Full sal da Freyr presenterte sine planer for batterifabrikk og vindmøllepark på Helgeland

Freyr secures €7.25 million investment from EIT InnoEnergy to build a 32 GWh battery cell production facility in Norway
FREYR secures €7.25 million investment from EIT InnoEnergy to build a 32 GWh battery cell production facility in Norway

In the Radio interview Freyr gründer Torstein Dale Sjøtveit - Wikipedia said that Northvolt and Freyr wasn't competitors in the traditional sense. The potential market for battery cells is so huge they will complement each other and develop a world class battery production environment in Scandinavia.

Torstein Dale Sjøtveit estimated the market to be 400 GWh or enough to supply 6 mill cars per year. And both factories plan to start with 16GWh capacity with room to expand.
There are a lot more big European battery factories coming. Apart from the Northvolt factory in Sweden you mention VW is also planning to build a factory of similar size in Poland together with Northvolt. LG is doing one in Poland too with the aim of 70gwh within a couple of years. Catl are doing one in Germany. SK and Samsung in Hungary. Europe might soon be littered with giga factories. Really only Tesla left to reveal the location of their factory.

Toyota is playing catch up in the EV arena. The Japan 3 see whats happening in China and the rest of the world in regards to emission standards and are planning accordingly. As I stated in another thread, Tesla is the only EV company of any note. Today if someone wants an EV they are going to Tesla.com.

No one here is thinking about the day in a couple of years when see Honda,Toyota ,VW EVs advertised on TV or splashed across Yahoo.com. In that environment when the market is flooded with just as capable and maybe cheaper EVs than Tesla. That is the threat to Tesla.

Uh, huh. Heard that story before starring the Chevy Bolt when it beat the Model 3 to market. Heard it again when BMW was coming out with their carbon-fibre EV masterpiece they spent over 2B-b-billion on developing. Heard it again about the i-Pace and the Taycan.

Your suggestion that anything coming down the EV pipeline ‘in a couple years’ from a current OEM is a threat to Tesla is hysterical. Dude, it’s already been over 7 years since the Model S debut and nobody can even replicate the 2012 model, let alone today’s and certainly not tomorrow’s. And there already are cheaper EVs on the market. Problem is, they aren’t Teslas and never will be.

The importance of this Bloomberg data really can't be overstated. It's the first statistical survey covering everything, in detail, that we've gotten about the Model 3, from a reputable organization, and with a very large sample, over a long period of time. It's the perfect anecdote-debunking tool: statistics.

It's also good for Tesla, showing where they need to improve most. I'm sure they collect their own data, but having another external source with an independent methodology should be a nice supplement.

OT Let's not forget the religious right that takes it literally that God gave man dominion over the earth and all of its inhabitants and we can exploit anyway we want! You can't win against that argument. After all, the end is coming soon anyway.
Lets not forget that CO2+methane is only half of the damage emissions do.

The other half is going straight into your lungs in the form of ground ozone and FPM and does plenty of damage there. We should not hesitate to bring this up to people insisting climate change is a hoax.
Lets also remind them that for EVs running on "100% coal", those emissions are not on your street and don't go directly into your lungs.

I have below articles bookmarked for ozone+FPM, will appreciate better candidates. I reference these from time to time to non-believers.

Air Pollution May Be As Harmful To Your Lungs As Smoking Cigarettes, Study Finds

Air Pollution Reduces Life Expectancy by Nearly 2 Years, Study Finds

Btw, quite often I get the reaction "hahaha, I'm planning to live 90 years, 2 years is nothing to me", which is amusing, at which point I ask them if they want this to happen to their loved ones as well and would they like to check their opinion on that, since your decision affects them as well.

Also, don't forget about this convincing right-winger:
(They may enjoy watching one of their own)

Last edited:
Um, fuel cells are not even close to better than battery tech in terms of refueling time. If I want to refuel my Mirai, I first need to tow it 1,100 miles from Denver to CA, fill it up, then tow it back.

Even without that, instead of plugging in over night which takes me maybe 20 seconds a day on my model3, you have to drive the mirai to a refill station in oakland since the san ramon one is apparantly down according to Stations Map | California Fuel Cell Partnership, and then babysit the refuel process instead of just plugging in and walking away to do something I want to do.

I have wondered about hybrids though before, a hydrogen range extender similar to what the BMW i3 has with the gas range extender. This would help to only stop once supercharging while having just one of breakfast or lunch or dinner... but then again that may be not needed with the newer cars, our Model X is from 2016.

• Informative
Reactions: madodel
Anyone who owns a house should be able to finance a solar/power wall if they handle their personal finances correctly. Buying a whole house generator that sits there 99% of the year vs a solar system that let's nets you free power and lets you arbitrage peak vs on-peak pricing should be a no-brainer. Even just powerwalls seems to be a better option in most cases. Generators are loud, stinky, and require maintenance. It really does go back to proper planning etc.

Toyota still seems stuck on Hydrogen. With their hybrid dominance they should have been at the forefront of EVs.

I was surprised when I saw this video

Even in July they managed only about 750kWh for solar for the whole month. For us - including charging and air conditioning - we go through that in about ten days. As we live much farther north, solar would even be less beneficial for us. For a lot of us I don't think solar is the answer.

Reactions: snellenr
Seriously doubt there will be test drives, just being on display at the show will make it a show winner.

They gave test rides in the Semi and Roadster 2.0 when they were first unveiled. I would put money on them doing test drives when it's first shown off, whether that's at Tesla's own event or the LA one.

Last edited:
Can you guys help me out with this question that keeps plaguing me. So, there are 2 predominant thoughts on climate change. First, there is the belief that the science on man-made climate change is obvious and we need to take immediate action to fix the damage we've done. The 2nd train of thought is that the whole thing is a hoax and there have always been cycles of cooling and heating. And strangely, these 2 train of thoughts are split almost 50-50 among Americans. But, my question is not about climate change, or why people believe what they believe. We all know the facts and the arguments.

What I do want to know is this. Those who don't believe in climate change ride around in big SUVs and trucks (or whatever particular vehicle they chose to drive). They live by their creed. They only consider the vehicle when making a choice - the environment has no impact on their decision. However, on the other side, people are VERY passionate about the climate and protecting it. So much so that I see on here where poster's kids are buying trees with their lawn cutting proceeds.

So that leads me to the question. In America, we have over 200 million adults. Since the poverty rate is around 14%, that leaves about 172 million adult Americans who could possibly afford an EV. If we split that number into 2, that leaves us with 86 million adults not living in poverty that believe in climate change. Yet, EVs make up about ~2% of car sales in America. Tesla has literally sold around 500,000 cars in the U.S. in its entire existence.

So, please tell me, if people are SURE that climate change is real, and they believe that emissions are causing so many issues, WHY in the heck do they still chose to drive around in an ICEV? I mean, we're talking 87 MILLION PEOPLE!! Do you realize how much impact 87 million people could have? If they can't afford a $35k Tesla, surely they can afford a $15k used Leaf.

People simply can't make ANY sacrifice for what they believe in. I can almost guarantee you those people riding around in Camrys and Accords live in houses way bigger than they need and spend a ton of money going out to eat every month. Moving to a Model 3 would be so easy.

Or is it possible that not as many people truly believe in climate change as we think? One or the other is true, because otherwise EVs would be almost 50% of sales in the U.S.

Tesla is making as many EV's as they can and expanding as quickly as prudent and feasible. The rest are largely unprofitable and are made in small numbers. All of them get sold. There are no left-overs. How can you expect the consumer to buy more than 100% of production?

It's not like those <20k cars are fun to drive either, or attractive.

yes a Corrolla and Civic are rather bland, but the broader point is affordability. Folks should not be spending their annual income on a car; really bad financial planning. So even if they truly believed, that the oceans will flood the east coast in 10 years, they still cannot afford a BEV.

If battery prices continue to drop, and Elon could produce a basic car with 200+ miles for say, $25k, it'd sell like hot cakes.

Even without that, instead of plugging in over night which takes me maybe 20 seconds a day on my model3, you have to drive the mirai to a refill station in oakland since the san ramon one is apparantly down according to Stations Map | California Fuel Cell Partnership, and then babysit the refuel process instead of just plugging in and walking away to do something I want to do.

I have wondered about hybrids though before, a hydrogen range extender similar to what the BMW i3 has with the gas range extender. This would help to only stop once supercharging while having just one of breakfast or lunch or dinner... but then again that may be not needed with the newer cars, our Model X is from 2016.
Who's going to pay for the $2M per hydrogen station? What happens when the car reaches the "don't drive after" date? Hydrogen is a big loser.

Makes sense to reveal Pickup before LA show, get people buzzing about it and Tesla, then go to the LA show and give a crap ton of test drives of Tesla’s other vehicles and sell lots more.

Seriously doubt there will be test drives, just being on display at the show will make it a show winner.

• Love
Reactions: Krugerrand

Even in July they managed only about 750kWh for solar for the whole month. For us - including charging and air conditioning - we go through that in about ten days. As we live much farther north, solar would even be less beneficial for us. For a lot of us I don't think solar is the answer.

That's a very non-optimal install. The roof slope is about as low as it gets and the panels only face East and West. East/West panels do best with a steep pitch. Obviously. Not sure what they were thinking because software exists that can very precisely predict the production for any location and orientation.

This illustrates the problem with anecdotes.

The importance of this Bloomberg data really can't be overstated. It's the first statistical survey covering everything, in detail, that we've gotten about the Model 3, from a reputable organization, and with a very large sample, over a long period of time. It's the perfect anecdote-debunking tool: statistics.

It's also good for Tesla, showing where they need to improve most. I'm sure they collect their own data, but having another external source with an independent methodology should be a nice supplement.
Twice you have mentioned anecdotes debunked by statistics. There are a few problems with that logic. First anecdote, data and statistics are completely different topics. Second, statistical validity is related to data gathering methodology and sampling process as well as data source. Third, all data gathered through consumer responses is anecdotal. Data gathered through self-selection is highly prone to error. The Bloomberg survey was gathered only from people who had previously responded to Bloomberg online request. These, to begin with, were highly involved and motivated people and thus unlikely to be representative of a larger group. The only way to know what actual reliability and quality have been is to have direct access to warranty service and customer complaint records.

I did consumer research and service assessment for a number of years. Separately I taught market research at a university. During those activities as well as my own academic studies I found many examples of sampling problems, self-selection bias etc. In the Bloomberg case they have used the information source they had, prior respondents to their Model 3 sales survey. I was among them. Certainly this data may be worth something, but they have vastly overreached in the significance. Of course they would; they are journalists whose lifeblood is positive clicks. In the absence of better data we are all tempted to think this is authoritative, but it is not. Interesting? of course; authoritative? No!

The best information we have is the per-vehicle warranty reserves created. Actual warranty cost, if we had it, would be better. The next best thing would be the direct solicitation of experience from a random sample of Tesla owners. We have nothing like that because collecting direct owner data from which to base such a survey is quite expensive. What Bloomberg has is replicating the same reporting bias present in all Brand enthusiast groups. Such groups tend to be nearly binary with a large group that complains regularly about many things and another, typically much large group that refuses to see problems at all.

Bloomberg reflects huge selection bias so we really learn almost nothing, especially their alleged delivery time experience data. It is fun though.

yes a Corrolla and Civic are rather bland, but the broader point is affordability. Folks should not be spending their annual income on a car; really bad financial planning. So even if they truly believed, that the oceans will flood the east coast in 10 years, they still cannot afford a BEV.

If battery prices continue to drop, and Elon could produce a basic car with 200+ miles for say, $25k, it'd sell like hot cakes.
We definitely need a model 1/0 OR equivalent from other makers.

I was thinking of folks in sunny California in that post.
Bloomberg reflects huge selection bias so we really learn almost nothing, especially their alleged delivery time experience data. It is fun though.
Self reported data would typically exaggerate issues rather than happy customers though. Right? Indifferent or happy people are usually less motivated than those who are upset.

Reactions: jbcarioca
Autonomy could be the lifeline for legacy automakers, but oh wait, they suck at that too.
If Robotaxis catch on legacy automakers will need huge bailouts to survive.

It's just math. 8 million cars/year is below their survival line. But even 4 million Robotaxis per year would create a surplus of used cars and destroy residuals on their leased cars.