Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla supercharger ruled out as cause of N.J. fire

"A fire at a Wawa convenience store in New Jersey on Sunday afternoon was not caused by a Tesla supercharger; it arose from a nearby transformer, a local fire official said Tuesday.

Matthew Palmeiri, clerk for Parsippany-Troy Hills Fire Department District 5, told Automotive News that Jersey Central Power & Light representatives were on-site across the street when emergency responders arrived to the store on Sunday afternoon.

"No vehicles were involved; it wasn't the charging stations at all," Palmeiri said. "It was a separate on-site transformer that sends power from JCP&L to the charging stations ... Nothing to do really with the charging stations."

A report by CNBC on Monday linked the fire to the Tesla supercharger."
Betcha don't see the above on CNET...

Model 3 car of the year 2020 in Norway
Folket velger Tesla

Doesn't count... it's only by a 4:1 ratio over second place.

upload_2019-11-19_12-40-55.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-11-19_12-40-3.png
    upload_2019-11-19_12-40-3.png
    58 KB · Views: 47
They can't yet as they haven't finalized the vehicle. Journalists reported that they weren't allowed to drive the cars because they were still a work in progress. They only got to ride in them.

It's said to still be in the last year of the 3 year development cycle. Did you notice those specs are only "targeted"?

"A fire at a Wawa convenience store in New Jersey on Sunday afternoon was not caused by a Tesla supercharger; it arose from a nearby transformer, a local fire official said Tuesday.

Matthew Palmeiri, clerk for Parsippany-Troy Hills Fire Department District 5, told Automotive News that Jersey Central Power & Light representatives were on-site across the street when emergency responders arrived to the store on Sunday afternoon.

"No vehicles were involved; it wasn't the charging stations at all," Palmeiri said. "It was a separate on-site transformer that sends power from JCP&L to the charging stations ... Nothing to do really with the charging stations."

Somebody PLEASE Tweet this to Lora effin' Kolodny as a lesson on how a reporter should do her damn homework before writing a story.

While that is good news, I have to wonder if the fire official realizes that a Tesla Supercharger site consists of the actual charger stalls and nearby cabinets with power electronics - I admittedly don't know if these cabinets would fit the definition of an actual, classical transformer.

So for now, I would still not rule out that the fire was in a Tesla power cabinet.

Can anyone clarify?

• Disagree
Reactions: transpondster
5,200 pages and we're back where we started. :confused:

Except that after a year, the undervaluation is in my opinion much clearer - GF3 has gone from not even having its site announced to being in trial production. European + RHD Model 3 deliveries are under way - and a whole bunch of other stuff.

On a personal level, I have doubled my TSLA shares - and at the same time lowered my average buying price - all the while having taken delivery of (and driven 12k km in) my Model 3.

i don’t guess that update wuz penned Kolodny, eh?:D

Fire Away!

While that is good news, I have to wonder if the fire official realizes that a Tesla Supercharger site consists of the actual charger stalls and nearby cabinets with power electronics - I admittedly don't know if these cabinets would fit the definition of an actual, classical transformer.

So for now, I would still not rule out that the fire was in a Tesla power cabinet.

Can anyone clarify?

Grid -> Transformer -> Cabinet -> Pedestal -> Vehicle

Transformers are big "boxy" things, generally shorter but wider than the cabinets, usually painted dark green. I'm pretty sure that they're the grid operator's responsibility.

Somebody PLEASE Tweet this to Lora effin' Kolodny as a lesson on how a reporter should do her damn homework before writing a story.

I'd be pleasantly surprised if she corrected her story. She banned me from her twitter account over a year ago, so others here will have to straighten her out. Good Luck. :cool:

Can anyone clarify?

You are totally confused. This caught on fire

811jtmV1BQL._SX425_.jpg

To: Boss Short

Headline Wednesday Shortsville Times

Tesla Supercharger pulls too much current. Transformer bursts into flames.

Sincerely
Chief Editor
Shortsville Times

Its not clear what yo mean by "it's never been submitted for EPA testing".

The way it works is when the manufacturer has production vehicle, they run the tests and submit the results to EPA. Once EPA accepts the numbers, they have a certified EPA number. EPA doesn't test most of the models.
"Expected" was their comment. To me, that's future tense, as in a hoped for target.

Are you suggesting they have a "production vehicle" that was used to submit data to the EPA, or is this just your guess?

Reactions: wipster

Can anyone clarify?

The Fire Department that responded to the incident already clarified. They said it was the utility's (Jersey Central Power & Light) transformer that sends power to the charging stations. It's right there in black and white. Of course, the Fire Department could be wrong but I don't see why you would question their unambiguous statement.