Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm hoping we get both tonight... Cybertruck reveal plus first Made in China deliveries :)

Hmmm... 11PM EST is Noon Friday in China, right?

Wouldn't it be great if there was an innovative new low-latency data network available, so Elon could share a live feed of the first MIC delivery with us tonight?

@KarenRei I saw your tweet, the literal reading of the characters chosen to represent Tesla or 特斯拉 is phonetics for Te Si La = Tesla.
So those kanji were undoubtedly chosen for their meaning as well as sound. Many other kanji combinations are possible, most with nonsensical or even negative meanings. I think The closest literal translation for Chinese would be “the special pull”. Like, pulled by something special. I think that’s pretty good.

Now I happen to know a bit of Japanese, and Japanese uses many of the same kanji but with different sounds and often different meanings. So... unfortunately, in Japanese, the closest meaning of 特斯拉 is “special kidnapping“ But I’m quite sure that badge would never be put on a Japanese Tesla

• Funny
  • Informative
Reactions: Yonki and mblakele
Watch Rick's interview on CNBC today.

Tesla has been ahead of the shift in technology, BlackRock's Rieder says

Rick Rieder, BlackRock's Chief Investment Officer of Global Fixed Income, Head of the Global Allocation Investment Team in the Multi-Asset Strategies Group, a member of BlackRock's Global Operating Committee and Chairman of the firm-wide BlackRock Investment Council.

Also this older video
James Anderson and Tom Slater, joint managers of Scottish Mortgage, discuss what is currently exciting them and take a look into the future to offer their views on which companies have the potential to be the world’s largest businesses a decade or more from now.

Tesla longs understand what's happening. They are accumulating TSLA shares as long term investment. Shorts don't know what they are doing, they are comparing Tesla with Ford, using last quarter's data.

Last edited:
At the moment ggr is somewhere over the Pacific, so we cannot consult him. But the rest of the mods have decided to allow all Cybertruck discussion on this big day for Tesla and us all, and a few days after the reveil. The exception being pictures of all kinds of APCs and weirdmobiles. Enjoy!

Hopefully after tonight, the many weird Pickup renders and pictures will never be seen again.

Make of this what you will (CNBC): Tesla's 'Cybertruck' could send the stock back toward all-time highs, options traders say

If the options market is right, the stock will break out above those highs when Tesla unveils its electric pickup truck.

“The options market is implying a move of about 3.7% in Tesla shares between now and the close [on Friday],” Optimize Advisors President Michael Khouw said Wednesday on “Fast Money.” “That’s a wider range, actually, than the stock has seen over the last five trading days.”

Most of the options trading traffic in Tesla centered around contracts that would imply a move in the stock to its highest levels since Dec. 17, 2018.

“The most active options were the weekly 360-calls,” said Khouw. “Over 10,500 of those traded for an average price of about $5. Obviously, buyers of those calls are betting that the stock is going to rise above that $360 strike price by at least the $5 that they paid.”

That is a little out of date, now they have to worry about the DEF, Diesel Exhaust Fluid, freezing as well. So if you don't have all the proper heaters, and the power available to run them, you have to leave the truck running 24/7 or it will freeze up and you have to have it towed to a shop to be thawed out before it can be started again. :eek:
That happened to me in a 300TD (with a block heater) parked for a ski-in weekend at Royal Gorge. After I got towed to a heated garage in Blue Canyon to thaw the wax in the fuel tank, I always cut the fuel with generous amounts of Jet A. Never happened again.
Robin

Reactions: Nocturnal
Make of this what you will (CNBC): Tesla's 'Cybertruck' could send the stock back toward all-time highs, options traders say

If the options market is right, the stock will break out above those highs when Tesla unveils its electric pickup truck.

“The options market is implying a move of about 3.7% in Tesla shares between now and the close [on Friday],” Optimize Advisors President Michael Khouw said Wednesday on “Fast Money.” “That’s a wider range, actually, than the stock has seen over the last five trading days.”

Most of the options trading traffic in Tesla centered around contracts that would imply a move in the stock to its highest levels since Dec. 17, 2018.

“The most active options were the weekly 360-calls,” said Khouw. “Over 10,500 of those traded for an average price of about $5. Obviously, buyers of those calls are betting that the stock is going to rise above that $360 strike price by at least the $5 that they paid.”

I love how that guy instantly blew up their shade about the Model S and how the new Porsche was the next best thing. That 200k price tag quickly shut them up lol

Anyone listening in , taking one for the team & summarizing the Tesla portion here?

Nothing too specific yet, just two short-sellers having general chit-chat about fraud, Chanos' course on fraud at Yale, being skeptical of companies, going to the "source documents", etc.

Occasional shot at Tesla, e.g. from McCullough, "How many of you that own Tesla actually read the Ks and Qs - be honest with yourselves."

• Funny
Reactions: capster
Hmmm... 11PM EST is Noon Friday in China, right?

Wouldn't it be great if there was an innovative new low-latency data network available, so Elon could share a live feed of the first MIC delivery with us tonight?

Don't know if Chinese would be watching the unveiling. Pickups are not that popular in China but then again there may be a lot of Chinese buying the Cybertruck as the latest status symbol.

There is no chance this truck unveil "impresses". We may or may not like the design and will certainly be impressed with the capabilities, but I think from an investment perspective it's likely a sell event. Way too different and hard to hold up next to existing market offerings.

I think the average lemming mind will find this unpallatible and be willing to absorb the coming FUD wave.

Buy LEAPs on the Friday drop perhaps?

If we knew for a fact that nothing material would be released besides the truck, I would agree, share price movement from the reveal is very limited (regardless of whether it goes up or down).

But we don't know that other material info won't be released. I find it very short-sighted to call this a "sell event". Even if it goes down a bit (for whatever reason), it will likely be a lot higher going into Q4 deliveries and especially Q4 earnings. Why sell simply because you are afraid it might drop a few bucks based on a truck reveal? Makes no sense (even if you believe the price will drop a few bucks).