Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Absolutely. That’s why I said in my original post that that’s what FSD is for. There’s actually a big debate on in Europe at the moment regarding pedestrian safety with regards ever higher bonnets/hoods. Looking again at the Cybertruck, though, looks like the front is lower (?) than on a traditional truck. Possibly means it’s safer for pedestrians - but I’m no expert in this.

Sedans are the safest for adult pedestrians to be run over by: they'll typically be hit in the legs and 'roll over' the hood into the windshield and be thrown up or sideways. This is a survivable accident at surprisingly high speeds too (if you don't break your neck) - but not for small children (they are too low) or the elderly (they have too fragile bones).

The Cybertruck's front is too high for this kind of passive adult-pedestrian safety I believe - but unlike the Bollinger it will have radar and cameras watching to make sure this doesn't happen.

That's the real solution to pedestrian safety: this ~100 years history of it being dangerous to walk outside in the most civilized areas of our planet was an anomaly and the new norm will be that vehicles have to be safe around pedestrians, not the other way around. Every other vehicle will be banned from residential zones.

Last edited:
Christopher Dungeon on Twitter

"
If my
@Tesla
#Cybertruck order numbers are correct, the internet just pre-ordered... 200,000 trucks tonight
1f92f.svg

1f92f.svg

1f92f.svg
"

Anyone have an idea of latest order # posted?

You must be lost if you were expecting a ‘slick’ presentation. Wrong OEM. They put a FART mode in their cars for pete’s sake!!

You’re also confused about what was going to be presented. Elon made it perfectly clear this vehicle was not going to be for everyone and that in fact very few might like it. He repeated that dozens of times over several months. He named it CYBRTRK. What part of that did you think would convert conservative pickup owners?

GF5 may or may not be a US pickup truck building factory. If it is, phase one of the build could be for CYBRTRK, while later on phase two of the build could be for ‘boremetodeath’ pickup truck.

You’ve a tendency to look for the negative in everything. When you do that you miss the positive. And so much positive was revealed tonight by Tesla it far outweighs a couple of busted windows.

You should be delighted that others who think like you have totally missed the bombshell Tesla just dropped. We all here just got ourselves another opportunity to increase our holdings for dirt cheap.
Agreed, many people don't know what they will like until they are shown it and experience it.

All we really know at the moment is that the truck is very different. Who is to say how people will feel about it when they see it driving down the road and have had time to digest the new style. It could well grow on far more people than the initial reactions would suggest.

Also, Elon said that if no-one likes this truck he can just go and knock out a boring old pickup. I doubt they'd even lose much time if they went with plan B and decided to create a Teslafied F150.

Last edited:
Christopher Dungeon on Twitter

"If my @Tesla #Cybertruck order numbers are correct, the internet just pre-ordered... 200,000 trucks tonight"

Anyone have an idea of latest order # posted?

So Tesla exposed the pre-order count via the order numbers?

Interesting and possibly intentional leak.

If true they'll have to increase the 50,000/year production capacity target ...

All we really know at the moment is that the truck is very different.

I'm not sure its a truck. It has a bed, but it doesn't look particularly functional. It may be more like the Rivian pickup. Not really intended to be used like a truck.

I don't see form following function with the cybertruck. It would have been more helpful to Tesla's mission to address the real truck market. The truck market was not asking for 500 mile range and porsche like handling.

New article at Motor Trend about how Tesla is going to able to achieve a $39,990 entry price with the Cybertruck - via a manufacturing revolution:

How Tesla's Cybertruck Turns Car Engineering Norms Upside-Down - Motor Trend

Tesla-Cybertruck-Electric-Pickup-Truck-Front-3-4-View-with-Headlamps-Illuminated.jpg

"The plusses for a folded stainless steel, origami truck are compelling: no paint shop and no expensive tooling. No Godzilla-scale stamping machines stomping it with multiple strikes. Without all that, the capital and environmental costs of using stainless steel body panels are small. And big attractions for a company that's sensitive to both types of green—cash and environmentalism. Just groove the steel where it's supposed to fold (avoiding cracks) and bend it on simple, cheap machines (like I was actually doing last week with my garage vise!)"

"Brilliant … but prickly with trade-offs. Unlike the strength-to-weight efficiency of compound curves (feathery eggshells are the epitome), the flat-ish planes between the Cybertruck's simple bends require greater thickness to resist buckling compression loads or wrinkling oil-canning. Adding weight."

"To counter this? Ditch the heavy, traditional, body-on-frame, and rethink the structure as weight-efficient trussed bridge in its simplest load-spreading configuration: a triangle set on its hypotenuse. One side is the Cybertruck's wedgy cab, the other, its tapered, sail-sided bed, their meeting point at the truck's tall peak resulting in a huge cross-sectional area for maximum stiffness."

BTW., the fact that it only took 3 weeks for them to manufacture the two prototypes from clay to finish is proof of the advantages of the stainless steel design: no soft tooling, no 3D printing - just quick prototyping.

Another consequence of this is that new exterior variants can be added both very fast and with low capex.

I'm not sure its a truck. It has a bed, but it doesn't look particularly functional. It may be more like the Rivian pickup. Not really intended to be used like a truck.

I don't see form following function with the cybertruck. It would have been more helpful to Tesla's mission to address the real truck market. The truck market was not asking for 500 mile range and porsche like handling.

What's wrong with the bed?

Towing cuts range in halfish. 500 unloaded gets you maybe 300 with a trailer. Then there is driving in winter, or to a remote worksite with your crew and power tools. Plug V2G so you don't need a generator (as much).

Did they fix the glass for the test rides ?

Yes they did. Not sure how long it took but less than 30 mins.

500 mile range goes down to by 50% easily with towing and steep climbs. You have to overbuild KW capacity for longer and more rigorous use cases.

For those who don't need that, there is the half price 250 mile range version.

Porsche handling isn't the focus of the truck but why object if its a part of the vehicle?

Also, why is the bed not functional? The gate drop downs and its not like it has a spoiler on the gate.