Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m not so sure about that - outside the USA, the $39.9k CT is now the cheapest Tesla available to order (you can’t get the $35.4k SR anywhere other than the US), and it seats 6! Every country has plenty of tradies, small delivery vehicles and truck enthusiasts that are salivating over the CT specs and efficiency compared to their existing vehicles.
Although I expect that its appeal outside of North America will be muted by the size (true, not an issue everywhere, and newer development can probably accommodate it fine) and the weight rating.

In large parts of the world (Europe comes to mind), exceeding a 3500 kg weight rating puts the vehicle into a class requiring special driver licensing... and I would be extremely surprised if the Cybertruck fits within that rating (unless Tesla sells a derated model, which is sometimes done by other automakers).

Isn’t it skinnier than the model X and shorter than a lot of other pickup trucks?
Per the specs at the debut, it's 79.8" wide, or 1.1" wider than the without-mirrors width of the Model X (78.7", 1999 mm).

As far as overall length, it's pretty similar in length to crew cab short (5.5') bed pickups. (Note that the bed lengths are nominal, and in practice are a couple inches longer here and there.) The trick is that the bed's 6.5' long, so it's a foot shorter than its direct competition (crew cab standard beds). The remaining extended cab long (8') bed half-ton pickups (this is just the F-150 now, apparently) are longer, and the heavy duty pickups are available in extended cab and crew cab long bed (crew cab long bed being extremely long).

Cars being able to power the house is overdue. Every Tesla owner wants that function

I don't know about every Tesla owner, but I would love that feature, especially given that the Cybertruck has solar as an option. Depending on the assumptions a Cybertruck that is capable of charging itself at up to 30-40 miles per day could probably provide a small house/cabin all the power it would need.

• Helpful
Reactions: VValleyEV
This is the sort of FUD we will be getting tomorrow (notice how they had to add the “deposit is low so blah blah blah” after the news was deemed too positive)View attachment 480963

please let’s put this in perspective. Yes, unbelievable that there are almost 190k orders, BUT, THE ORDER IS FOR $100 totally refundable. I am excited but we have to understand that many people think that $100 is pocket change, especially people on this forum who are early adopters. I really do not think this is a fair gauge of actual interest but a “hell, sure I will put $100 down and make my decision in 2 years” when the Cybertruck might be ready. I have read that a lot these last few days. We need to keep our enthusiasm under control.

I don't know about every Tesla owner, but I would love that feature, especially given that the Cybertruck has solar as an option. Depending on the assumptions a Cybertruck that is capable of charging itself at up to 30-40 miles per day could probably provide a small house/cabin all the power it would need.

Not a current solar cell efficiency. Plus when you drive away in the Cybertruck the refrigerator and TV in the cabin turn off.

Tesla will most likely announce that their vehicles can now supplement powerwalls.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Per the powers that be, now that I skipped far too many posts and saw the admonition, this is a positive for TSLA. Perhaps not this week, but Real Soon Now.

I believe the pundits and clueless MSM underestimates the CT potential. While I have far more TSLA shares in my retirement account that would have my (fired) financial advisor screaming at me, I have a difficult time believing the SP is not going to take off to new highs. Think Cathie Wood highs.

——————————-

I’m looking at age 72 -74 by the time I’d get a truck I don’t need. I have a perfectly good S90D, with plans to travel the US.

We went out last night, had a good time with friends, food and drinks. Was asked if I was going to get the Cybertruck, then they laughed at the “failed” window demo. Nope, still don’t need a truck. Then I woke up after a good nights sleep.

Sorry, I’m not a betting person, unless it’s a sure thing. :)

Never saw the movie, but felt oddly compelled after watching the clip, so while I still don’t need a truck, I WANT the Cybertruck. I’ll consider it a Not A Truck.

View attachment 480912

I bought the S90D sight unseen and never had a test drive. I guess I have to uphold the tradition with the CT.

Maybe it was the thought of the recent crushed can a truck sucked up off the side of the road at 80 MPH and sent careening off the front of my unwrapped frunk, leaving deep enough scratches that I doubt will buff out. Or maybe it was the thought of all the stone chips all of my cars have had over the years, and are now adorning the beautiful front bumper of the MS. Or maybe it’s the thought of having an easier time with ingress and egress. Or maybe I just want to see some dumb ass try to kick the tailgate thinking it will dent and cost big bucks to repair, only to realize a split second later that it’s going to cost them a lot more to have their broken foot fixed. Or, maybe all of the above. :D I’ve decided I need THIS truck.

Off to check out 14000 pound or less travel trailers. And to try and catch up with this thread.

Great post.

I am in somewhat similar boat.

Had deposit on Rivian R1T to replace our Jeep which my wife liked more than me, after replacing our Outback with 2018 Model S, snagged with unlimited SC with referral. Didn’t like the looks of any of the Tesla pickup renderings, didn’t want would looked like a H2 or Semi.

Wife woke up one morning and said I want my own car now, and it has to be a Tesla Model 3 - so we traded in the Jeep for a beautiful AWD Model 3, and she loves it. OK we are done buying vehicles for a long while, I am 73 years old.

Meanwhile I have acquired more TSLA shares than my (still current) financial advisor wanted, but he was impressed by the recent price action.

Fast forward to Cybertruck event. We both almost immediately loved the vehicle, blown away by the specs and price, and yes, even the looks. $20k less than Rivian and way better vehicle. So I put in a reservation, why not $100 refundable is not difficult, will figure out whether it makes sense later.

Now we both really want the Cybertruck. We will probably trade in the Model S, even though it has FSD and is about to get the HW3/AP3 autopilot hardware upgrade. It does have MCU1, being just weeks before the upgrade to MCU2, and I really miss the snappy maps performance and cool other apps on my wife’s 3.

Now the Big Question is to wait for the Tri-motor on 2022 (this is the reservation I placed), or to change to the perhaps more sensible Dual motor version for $20k less and a year shorter wait. Also with $20k less we can afford more options, like maybe that cool ATV. I am a little sad about having to pay $7k for FSD when trading in a car with FSD that I paid $3k for, and giving up the unlimited SC. But if we buy the truck we would probably use the 3 for any highway trips.

These are all good problems to have, and we are totally surprised to be in this position. Hats off to Tesla for making this happen.

Anybody hear from the TSLAQ crowd lately?
Not on here.

...I've seen their FUD make it into places where they don't usually inhabit, though - apparently they're going on about the ATV being fraud because they noticed parts looked like parts off of some Yamaha ATV (all that tells me is that it's a very early prototype), and also some stuff that a certain sketchy legal non-profit claims to have gotten un-redacted about the Tripp case.

please let’s put this in perspective. Yes, unbelievable that there are almost 190k orders, BUT, THE ORDER IS FOR $100 totally refundable. I am excited but we have to understand that many people think that $100 is pocket change, especially people on this forum who are early adopters. I really do not think this is a fair gauge of actual interest but a “hell, sure I will put $100 down and make my decision in 2 years” when the Cybertruck might be ready. I have read that a lot these last few days. We need to keep our enthusiasm under control.

Sure, but 190K is better than say 10K over the weekend. All these people are seriously thinking about it so that is a big plus!
Even if say 10% make it a firm order as soon as they can, it is still 19K orders as soon as configuration opens with an initial production of say 1000 per week that still is 5 months production!
I cann't imagine Elon and his team predicted such an excitement over such a controversial design. Well done Tesla Team!!

Can someone for the naive and dummies here, please explain the difference between exoskeleton .vs. body-on-frame?I have an idea of what body on frame means, but what is exoskeleton in this context?

Thank you

Body-on-frame refers to traditional truck construction, which has a "ladder" frame consisting of two fore-aft-running beams connected by cross tubes. It's essential a planar structure, so it has to be heavy to get bending and torsional stiffness. The drivetrain mounts to the ladder frame. The body/passenger compartment is a separate structure that mounts to the ladder frame through rubber isolators, as does the bed, another separate structure. This gives a lot of manufacturing flexibility, because you can always delete the bed and put on something else: a box, a flatbed, whatever. However, the body and the bed don't very effectively reinforce the ladder frame, so everything is relatively heavy.

What Tesla showed is more passenger car "monocoque" structure, where the sheet metal panels form a shell structure, and suspension and drivetrain mount directly to that. It's a lot more structurally efficient. Tesla has taken it a step further than normal. where all panels appear to be structural. For many cars, some of the outer panels (front fenders, etc.) are bolt-ons, and have lesser structural effect.

Gone for the weekend, had to read 35 pages...
Anyway: I'm in Italy andthe freaking news on TV spoke about the cybertruck. It's on the paper, everywhere. It's mainly FUD (i.e. media link the Starship RUD with the shattered glass, Elon is failing, etc.) but everyone has seen that. People send me memes via whattsapp.
Hopefully with time people will understand and appreciate it better, I already do after two days.
But it's quite incredible the amount of publicity this had.

Can someone for the naive and dummies here, please explain the difference between exoskeleton .vs. body-on-frame?I have an idea of what body on frame means, but what is exoskeleton in this context?

Thank you
My understanding is that the exoskeleton puts the structural material on the skin rather than below the skin. Body on frame is the way all cars were first made (trucks are still made this way) until unibody became the norm for cars. A frame (looks somewhat like a ladder) is the structure and the body is fastened to the frame. You didn't ask, but a unibody has the frame surrounding the body (no frame rails) and the skin covering it.

Thank you
Exoskeleton is simply where the outside structure is itself the supporting structure -similar to a lobster or a crab instead of having their Skeleton on the inside with soft outside. It has inherent advantages.

You mean 187k.

At the rate of ~ 1800 / hour, we may even see a tweet by Musk around 9 PM PST today about 200k.

According to this tracking google sheet, which had tracked close to the data points Musk tweeted, it's now showing over 222k

Worldwide Cybertruck reservation tracker

I think we'll see a good bump in headlines about these staggering reservation numbers tomorrow, which will help get the word out that it's only $100 for a reservation and you better reserve soon to get a slot in line ;)

Did a check on the stock price effect of Model 3 reservations - stock jumped 10% over 3 weeks
This assumes that the announcements of reservation numbers occurred between the launch on March 30th 2016 & April 21st
IIRC there was an initial announcement of reservations during the launch, because reservations opened up the morning of the launch, and a huge number reserved before even seeing the car.