Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep. I lost my bet on a slight recovery Friday afternoon that never happened.

SANCHO: PLEASE STOP MAKING SHORT TERM BETS. I do so much better with longer term bets, and with half the indigestion.

Short-term bets are just that: bets ;) It's all too easy in the short term to be completely right about a hypothesis about the company and yet wrong about what the market will do (trust the outcome of my bet that "the shorts are wrong and the Q4 '18 ER will show solid profit and FCF" on this topic ;) ). Too many external factors can overwhelm the signal in the short term.

You can of course make a ton of money if you're right. But... ;)

I'm currently working on rolling my last couple June calls to September. Plenty of time for dealing with adverse events. I'd go even further into the future, but then there would be the risk that the strikes would be so high that in the (low probability) event of a go-private event, all of my calls could become worthless. I prefer not to let my strikes get too far above the SP - rather, I sell (covered) calls (as spreads), so that in the event of an (unlikely) go-private move, the upper ends of the spreads become worthless while the lower ends cash in.

With long-term options you can still play the up-and-down by your timing in buying and selling as you roll them. But you reduce the random market noise. Returns are less, of course.

Last edited:
1) why would anyone reserve a product they have 0% interest in buying?

2) why would someone who has anything over 0% interest in buying make more than 1 reservation?

unless you’re sure about 1, and iffy on the next, and so on, seems idiotic

Seems we're talking about that effing truck again :mad::mad::mad:

:):):) But AFAIK the issue with multiple orders was an Apple Pay problem

• Helpful
Reactions: Tim S and Boomer19

Jim is actually a very nice guy. Met him a few times back when I was doing high powered sales and at conferences he'd stay for 1-2 hours being very gracious to shake hands and talk. He could have said his piece and taken off but he never did. Of all the speakers I've heard at high powered events he was the most welcoming and approachable. He'd answer any stock/business question you'd have. So, I am glad to see he's finally gotten on board.

Thanks for that feedback, it's nice to hear from someone that has actually met him - value your opinion higher than any amount of armchair critics.

I guess in TV he's paid to be a bit outrageous. He has to come up with stuff fast and $TSLA is a low-hanging fruit on any given day.

Senior Ford guy [was overruled] So, this will be just Tesla - may be with some independent observers.

The hyper macho crowd that buys F150 isn’t going to like Ford acting coy.

This shouldn't be seen as surprising. Remember who has more to lose here. Even assuming Ford has an honest shot of tying/winning, it's not worth the risk. Ford sells nearly 1M F-150s/year. That's before we add the rest of the line in.

If they endorse a head-to-head challenge and lose? Disaster for them as F-150 owners line up for the Tesla. They don't do the challenge? Business as usual for a few more years.

Jim is actually a very nice guy. Met him a few times back when I was doing high powered sales and at conferences he'd stay for 1-2 hours being very gracious to shake hands and talk. He could have said his piece and taken off but he never did. Of all the speakers I've heard at high powered events he was the most welcoming and approachable. He'd answer any stock/business question you'd have. So, I am glad to see he's finally gotten on board.

Be prepared for any and all issues of his wife’s Model X to be blasted on CNBC through his blow horn.

Car of the Year 2020: Tesla Model 3

Recently TM3 was awarded the Peoples Favourite by Norwegian newssites Dagbladet and DinSide.

Today the TM3 won the hearts of the jury - 6 of 8 judges voted the Tesla Model 3 Car of the Year!

Googly translated source at DinSide.no:
Google Translate

Superb winner!

- Model 3 has taken Norway by storm, and with this model Tesla has shown that they can reach the large masses. The car is practical, reasonably priced and not only performs very well in range, but also on driving characteristics. Model 3 is the new peoples car - and a worthy winner of Car of the Year , says juror Espen Stensrud to Dinside.

I’ve been thinking about the implications of Tesla’s drive to create a million mile battery and the use of super durable stainless steel in the cybrtrck. I initially thought it could hurt sales because wouldn’t you want to have some sort of planned obsolescence in the products? People driving around for decades with million mile batteries and nearly infinitely lived exoskeletons in trucks are not good for being repeat customers. This sounds like a great thing for consumers but awful for Tesla as a business.

But I think that it’s more evidence that Tesla’s grand strategy is going to give it competitive advantages that will be difficult to overcome.

Tesla can afford to be thinking about offering consumers vehicles with ridiculously long lives because it’s not simply a car business dependent on continued sales (and therefore needing a little planned obsolescence to push consumers along).

Tesla can make money in its energy business. Also Tesla supercharging means that Tesla can in the future have a revenue stream that allows it to benefit from a tiny per mile “tax” on every vehicle on the fleet— sort of like if GM and Exxon were a single company. GM sells the hardware but Exxon collects a toll on every mile driven. Of course the biggest reason why Tesla can afford to think about super durable, long lived cars is autonomy and what that means in terms of Tesla being able to create a per mile toll on the fleet. I think that these strategic implications are very hard to replicate by OEMs.

are we really going to test 315?

Everyone should expect Tesla lower by the end of Friday. Holiday week = low volume in combination with an apparent renewed bear push.

The Cybertruck reveal was great timing for publicity and social conversation during family get togethers this week......but was terrible timing for the stock. Limited buying power. Doesnt matter how many orders Elon tweets about.

So sick of the shenanigans by now