Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that this case is complete, anything else expected from Tesla/Elon in the next 6 weeks? (Edit: that would impact Tesla share price)

Could announce a date for model Y production.

Could announce Q1 China guidance.

Will announce production and delivery numbers.

Can anybody think of anything else?

Now that this case is complete, anything else expected from Tesla/Elon in the next 6 weeks? (Edit: that would impact Tesla share price)

FSD feature complete going out to beta testers.

Since it's the weekend I thought I'd relate an experience I had with Tesla this week:

I unfortunately caught an rock to the windshield several weeks ago. Informed my insurer I wanted to work with Tesla since the autopilot cameras are there and didn't want a relatively small issue to become a bigger one if someone unfamiliar with the system screwed something up. Made the appointment on the app. Got reminders from service. Showed up slightly early and they took the car right in. Informed them I live over an hour away so I'd really appreciate getting it done that day. They busted tail and made is happen, surprised me when they said it was done by 2:30 (including autopilot camera calibration) when I only got there at 10. Informed me it might be similar to the first drive home in regard to autopilot, which was correct but I would have thought something was wrong and turned around otherwise.
Very good experience.

However, what really impressed me was while I was sitting in the waiting area I overheard a conversation between an older gentleman and his service adviser. He requested they perform the annual service/inspection on his vehicle as it was overdue (not sure what all that entails on a 4 year old S, but I know it's not nothing) and the adviser replied, "Oh, we took care of all that the last time the car was in."

Now I worked at an auto dealership for a brief time, and I know that this is not how they usually operate. Since service is such a big part of their profit margin if a customer asks you to do something, you do it, as well as the 4 other things you advise, "are a good idea."
Made me feel good to not just be a customer but an investor/supporter of the company. No, service is not perfect and there is plenty of room for improvement, but we're getting there.

Had a conversation with the gentleman later about our cars, I find it heartening to hear someone old enough to be my father extol the benefits of regen braking and autopilot! :)

I think having a premium Tesla subscription service is great. Imagine in a few years if there are 1 million subscribers to this service and Tesla is pulling in an extra $10M/mo. It will be inevitable that they introduce even more services that current owners who have premium service for free will want to pay for.

It has been great getting all the services for free, but I didn't expect that to last.
Love it too! Hundreds of thousands will be more than happy to give $10 a month for this. And as you said the number will only grow. This is huge imo

production/delivery for Q4 right after the 1st of the year.

The rest you likely won't see until the shareholder letter/conference call later in January.

The stock could trade on rumors like the GF3 deliveries and there is a likelihood that they will start ramping now.. If there are massively large parking lots with thousands of model 3s in china, it could have an impact. Really busy delivery centers in China might be helpful. Most of this won't have any real impact until Q1 (since Q4 is almost over).

Now that Unsworth is out of the way, Elon is picking a fight with Bill Gates on solar:
Elon Musk on Twitter
The hammer is for the Solarglass, not Bill, and Franz is nowhere to be seen....
I've been following Bill Gates on twitter for years, he is one of the first people I added when I first decided to use it, along with James Cameron and some others LOL.

Bill has sounded very noble with his humanitarian efforts and interest in renewable energy and stuff. But when it comes to Tesla, he has been very quiet. In fact I can't remember him ever tweeting about Tesla or even re-tweeting someone else's comments about Tesla. It's as if he wants to ignore they exist. Then when he starts tweeting about these other forms of renewable energy, without even mentioning the 800lb Gorilla in the room - solar+battery (and by implication, the leading player in that space, TESLA) - something has made me wonder what his motives are. I hasten to jump to a simple-minded conclusion that it's simple vanity - preventing another successful billionaire trying to save the planet from getting the spotlight. I tend to think it's something else, perhaps rooted in Bill's investments.

I've been following Bill Gates on twitter for years, he is one of the first people I added when I first decided to use it, along with James Cameron and some others LOL.

Bill has sounded very noble with his humanitarian efforts and interest in renewable energy and stuff. But when it comes to Tesla, he has been very quiet. In fact I can't remember him ever tweeting about Tesla or even re-tweeting someone else's comments about Tesla. It's as if he wants to ignore they exist. Then when he starts tweeting about these other forms of renewable energy, without even mentioning the 800lb Gorilla in the room - solar+battery (and by implication, the leading player in that space, TESLA) - something has made me wonder what his motives are. I hasten to jump to a simple-minded conclusion that it's simple vanity - preventing another successful billionaire trying to save the planet from getting the spotlight. I tend to think it's something else, perhaps rooted in Bill's investments.
Bill Gates still drives an old Ford Focus(?) when he retires, he doesn't care about cars all that much

• Disagree
Reactions: Snapdragon III
Interestingly the federal lawsuit against Musk that concluded yesterday was the result of incidents that occurred only 17 months ago. Meanwhile, 39 months ago Tesla filed a federal lawsuit against Michigan officials for blocking Tesla stores and service centers in the state 62 months ago. We are still awaiting a trial which is supposed to occur in a federal court in a Michigan district..

Of course the Michigan matter has hugely more significance regarding Tesla, Inc. than the trial involving Musk that ended yesterday. If Tesla wins in federal court, it could set a favorable precedent regarding similar circumstances in other states.

Does anyone here know when this Michigan case is going to be tried? It's supposed to be a jury trial. One might wonder if the favorable verdict yesterday for Musk provides a clue as to how a jury might react toward Tesla in Michigan.
It was renamed Tesla v Benson with the last elections (secretary of state was Johnson). Exhibits are pay walled.

Docket for Tesla, Inc. v. Benson, 1:16-cv-01158 - CourtListener.com
FOURTH AMENDED CASE MANAGEMENT ORDER: final pretrial conference set for 1/13/2020 at 11:00 AM at 401 Federal Building, Grand Rapids, MI before Judge Janet T. Neff; bench trial set for 2/4/2020 at 09:00 AM at 401 Federal Building, Grand Rapids, MI before Judge Janet T. Neff; counsel shall be present for an in-chambers conference one-half hour prior to the start of trial; signed by Judge Janet T. Neff (Judge Janet T. Neff, rmw) (Entered: 05/17/2019)

Just down the road from me. Humm...

10 bucks a month is indeed a good price but we are glad we have a grandfathered Model 3.
"Audi Connect" is now $25 a month and they no longer offer an annual subscription plan (I will dump it and the Audi Q5 when we get our Model Y but until then we use an Alexa Echo Input to access Sirius XM)..

• Funny
Reactions: wipster and Thumper
Horrible, but unfortunately not too surprising.

"Uber discloses 3,000 reports of sexual assault on U.S. rides last year in its long-awaited safety study.
The company had said it would examine 21 different categories of misconduct, in a pledge to be more transparent about the prevalence of the issue on the app."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/tech...des-last-year-its-long-awaited-safety-report/

Should be factored into Robotaxi discussion/debate as rollout gets closer.

A friend of mine from Gina showed me some interesting precaution they took over there with their ride sharing app. Not sure if implemented in uber or lyft since I don't use these.

Upon beginning of the trip, the app will send the trip information to a select few confidant of yours along with the license and information of the driver. Upon completion of the trip a similar warning will be sent.

Now a few assault case still happened since relatives cannot react in real time. But they were mostly caught right afterwards.

I was on AP today in a neighborhood that had a planter box in between the lanes such that it adds a sharp slight curve to each lane, with well marked lane lines. I was hoping AP could handle it, but it did not (at least before I chickened out). Just following lane lines like this seems trivial, at least compared to much more difficult scenarios.

This kind of lack makes it hard for me to understand how Tesla is going to achieve a 1 intervention/ million mile result in the next year or two, which it would need to in order to handle the 10’s of thousands rarer edge cases, I’m guessing will be needed.

I believe this current behavior is why Wall St. does not believe Tesla is anywhere close.

My guess is that Tesla is working hard to optimize the current neural net running on HW2, before they make the split to the HW3 neural net, and we will see a quantum leap in behavior with the FSD Early Access release.

Tesla is undervalued, even if they’re not one of the early Autonomy winners, but if they are in that group, it makes sense for the share price to take off like SuperHeavy/Starship.

Is this a reasonable theory?

What is your perspective on GF-3 deliveries impact on Q-1?
Do you expect TE to be consequential in GAAP terms for Q-1?
Do you expect growth in the Canadian Prairies and north central US due to the completion of coast-to-coast Supercharger access and improved Service access?
If Model Y production begins in Q-1 will that have a direct effect in market terms?

From your discussions and those of others, it might seem logical that the loss of incentives in the US and Netherlands might be enough to reduce Q-1 despite continued growth from UK (normally quite strong for auto sales in Q-1 for automakers), Korea and newer eastern European markets.

Lastly, you have made limited discussion of the distribution system improvements.

None of these issues fits neatly in technical analysis, but they all might be materially influential in reducing the market influence of short sellers. Further, if TE were to become materially additive it could quite easily turn GAAP sufficiently to advance index inclusion.

While I have opinions, I have more confidence in yours than I do in mine, at least in terms of market reactions. In accounting terms I am much more comfortable and there I expect the net effect of all those factors is highly likely to produce GAAP positive Q-1, probably very small, but positive.

I moved my reply here from the Daily Charts thread because I hope some of you with more expertise is specific areas than me will join the discussion.

* GF-3 deliveries impact on Q-1
We need some of our spreadsheet wizards who know the accounting rules to step in and give some perspective on this issue. As a rough idea, though, I'd say that with labor costs very low in China and list price of Model 3s still high in the country, Tesla could produce positive margins, even in Q1. The combination of higher delivery numbers in China next quarter and at least a small contribution towards profits would be viewed very favorably by the market.

* Growth in Canadian Prairies and north central US due to completion of coast-to-coast Supercharger access and improved Service access
Lots of possibilities here... The Rocky Mountain and east of the Rockies states showed lots of interest in CyberTruck, and since that vehicle is still a couple years from production some of that interest could spill over to Model Y (and Model 3 too). More service centers definitely results in more sales in areas where a long drive to service is cut way down. My guess is that Supercharging the Trans-Canada Highway will have a lesser impact on sales because the distances between population centers are so great in central and western Canada and the highway is only 2 lanes in some areas. It's so much easier to fly from Toronto to Vancouver than to drive.

* Model Y introduction in Q1
I continue to believe that we won't hear about earlier beginning of Model Y production until either the cars are rolling off the assembly line or Elon answers the question in the 4Q19 ER conference call. Model Y can cannibalize some Model 3 sales and Tesla doesn't want buyers thinking about Model Y until they're ready to deliver. That said, the market will respond favorably to the likely highest-selling Tesla becoming available earlier than expected. Naturally, TSLAQ will frame the situation as Tesla speeding up Model Y production beginning because there was a demand problem beginning for Model 3.

* Small GAAP profit in Q-1
I think you nailed the pivot point. TSLAQ is counting on a Q-1 dip. If Q-1 produces a small profit, Tesla is in the catbird seat for S&P500 inclusion. Once the market figures out that S&P500 inclusion is likely, there will be no holding the stock price back. This is the primary reason why I have gone all in with the money I am willing to invest in TSLA, rather than holding any back for a possible dip. I think the only reason TSLA didn't climb higher this past week was because of poor macros on Monday and Tuesday and significant manipulations the rest of the week to create the illusion that the market was worried about the Unsworth trial. Concerns about Tesla getting cleared for actual deliveries of MIC M3s and producing seriously were put to bed this past week. The slow but steady increase in weekly output at GF-3 has finally begun. In comparing TSLA downside potential to upside right now, the upside looks so much greater.

Bill Gates top stock holding in his Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Trust is BRK.B Berkshire, which was recently increased.

BRK.B in turn holds stocks in Major US airlines, and 2 oil and gas companies; Occidental Petroleum Corporation and Phillips 66

BILL & MELINDA GATES FOUNDATION TRUST Top Holdings

Berkshire Hathaway Portfolio Tracker

wow

Unless the sarcasm runs strong with that one. Wow. Just wow.

That account belongs to a hardcore Tesla hater, whom I assume thought that if I could post something so utterly ridiculous, so could they.

But the actual point is, if anyone wants to be convinced they are betting against dumb money, then just head over to RealTesla. Posts there will claim the same about TMC, the objective difference being that there is actual, actionable information posted here.

Bullish AF. 36 new V3 chargers are being built between LA and Phoenix.
7BA0C44F-16FA-484C-A202-5C5F2E6628AE.jpeg

Attachments

• AA829C25-94D5-4406-8475-0A70E585E3B9.jpeg
    AA829C25-94D5-4406-8475-0A70E585E3B9.jpeg
    792.6 KB · Views: 45

Hmmm...nope, I'm drawing a blank. There just aren't many positive catalysts for TSLA waiting in the wings. /s