Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I fully expect that it was in autopilot. And while reaching back to mess with his dog, he bumped the wheel and knocked it out of Autopilot.

I'd love for Tesla to put up a "Was It In Autopilot?" site for the press, where they can punch in an accident date and location, and Tesla will instantly tell them if there was an accident registered there, whether the vehicle was in Autopilot at any point shortly before the crash, whether it had been disengaged before the crash, whether their data suggests that the Tesla was at fault in the accident, and whether there's been an official police report filed (and if so, what its conclusions were).

They might need to update their privacy agreement, but they wouldn't need to include any personal information in their reports.
The thing is, none of the "journalists" would use such a service. Although it would surely get reported as privacy invasion :rolleyes:

OT:

Grumble grumble 943mb extratropical cyclone tomorrow grumble grumble... :Þ

upload_2019-12-9_17-15-22.png

She should have explained more about vertical integration, high margins, no dealers, etc etc to show them why Tesla can have a market cap higher than Toyota EVEN though Tesla will move less cars than Toyota.

I think she did fine. My memory is that she simply quipped that Tesla is not a car company.

This is the reason that the typical multiples for "car companies" do not apply to Tesla. Your points go a long way to show how they are different from typical car companies and the astute listener would be wise to do their own research and make up their own mind as to whether a company heavily invested in AI and energy capture and delivery is much at all like a car company.

Even bulls don't realize the permanent advantages Tesla has.

Yes, competitors will be able to produce models approaching the performance of Tesla's offerings. That's inevitable in the Information Age. What they won't in any way be able to do is produce them at scale. The dreadful irony they're going to have to realize is that pushing TSLA to get leaner has forced Tesla as a manufacturer to approach absolute efficiency. Very very few legacy carmakers can achieve anything close to moderate efficiency.

GM announcing a partnership with LG is a good step, but they have dealerships, unions, legacy costs.....way too many headwinds to competitiveness on quality and price. Physically impossible for them to compete. Perhaps a small handful will successfully transition. I actually see the "5 year head start" we keep citing is more like 6 or 7 now, and the real competition will come from startups that don't yet exist.
Given the specs of the Cybertruck it does seem like Telsa is actually increasing their lead.

$10/mo for unlimited(?) cell data?!

I don't think you can buy this from anybody else at this rate, can you? Especially, I believe in Canada, EU this costs even more...

I think Tesla will still be losing money on this at $10/mo.
They will be losing less now though. ;)

Tesla driver cited with 'reckless driving' after crashing into police car while on Autopilot - Electrek
OK, this is exactly the kind of headline needed to counter FUD. Electrek and I are back together again. Feels good

My problem with most AP coverage (incl. the above) is their failure to point out the obvious, that the traffic law requires that the driver pays attention and holds the driver responsible when they fail to do so. What Tesla (rightly) says regarding AP cannot supersede the law and is thus secondary.

Well after having unsatisfactory experiences with accounts at etrade, scottrade, (td)ameritrade, and vanguard (never tried Schwab), I have to say I’ve been very pleased with Fidelity’s policies, web site, and overall experience for the last 4 years or so.
Except that with Fidelity, if you have a 401K, you only have a few relatively poor choices.

For a range of other EU countries Q4 data points are available for days 31 and 61 (also for '18) - I don't have them handy, but someone might.

PS. Well, here is a couple:
Sweden 2019:
November S/3/X: 75/104/51
October S/3/X: 15/47/21 (yes, more X than S),
Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the 2019 Investors' Roundtable

Denmark 2019:
November S/3/X: 33/82/13
October S/3/X: 6/23/4,
Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the 2019 Investors' Roundtable

Smells like a good opportunity for self promotion ;)...

Screenshot 2019-12-09 at 18.41.00.png

Tesla Europe Registration Stats

Got to say this is one of the weaker Kathy interviews. You can't try to explain your bear case that Tesla will only sell cars but then end with Tesla has other moats like energy and AI. She should have explained more about vertical integration, high margins, no dealers, etc etc to show them why Tesla can have a market cap higher than Toyota EVEN though Tesla will move less cars than Toyota. Hell the fact that Tesla will own all the "gas stations" that Toyota doesn't is another revenue generator(even though Tesla said it's not going to be but whatever, they can change their minds).
She knew they would interrupt any long paragraph. Given the hostile atmosphere, I think she did pretty good.

Smells like a good opportunity for self promotion ;)...

View attachment 486463
Tesla Europe Registration Stats

That thread's work is awesome. :) BTW, Iceland publishes weekly registration updates here (and a couple other similar pages, grouped by other parameters). Not useful now, but once they start delivering...

You don't need to read Icelandic to see how many are delivered by brand, but in case you're curious as to the ratios:

Okutaeki_eftir_orkugjafa_e621e043-2e61-4bf2-b876-4871252985b1.png

That's 33,13% diesel, 0,63% methane, 30,63% gasoline, 8,13% gas-electric hybrid, 1,25% diesel-electric hybrid, 16,25% PHEV, and 10% BEV.

Has this been mentioned yet:
View attachment 484212
Just saw this on Model 3 order page:
Order before Dec 8th if you want to take delivery before EOY, not guaranteed.
This is for continental US, and overseas already sold out for the year, huge demand problem...
Now this “order by Dec 8th” notice is gone, the notice of “take delivery before Dec 31th to get credit” is still there.

My interpretation is they sold out for the year, since there is no new order-by date. But they still want people to place orders in case there are cars that can not make it to the destination in last minute.

Last edited:
Is it just me or does every Tesla vehicle look bizarre on a stage and then super-amazing in the wild? They need to start doing reveals with much more background to add perspective. That truck in traffic almost looks like something very useful that I would buy, not the doorstop I saw on the livefeed reveal. Same with M3 in the wild.
I have to say though, a little CT would make a way cool doorstop, especially with teeny tiny air suspension!

Yoshino notes that lithium-ion production capacity aimed at EVs (xEV) matched the capacity for mobile and IT purposes in 2017. He projects that 15% of the passenger vehicle market will be xEV by 2025.

RvNE8TH.png

He believes that increased battery capacity, in combination with AI for FSD (AIEVs), will disrupt transportation ca. 2030. He touches on V2G and batteries designed for 600,000-km lifespan.

So... nothing new, right? But it's an inspiring message from someone who's not only a Nobel prizewinner in chemistry, but also Japanese. Maybe this will help convince Toyota to embrace EVs. That could be a big step forward.

EVs having a 15% marketshare in 2025?

Interesting. By my math Tesla’s marketshare in 2025, taking the midpoint of their 50%-100% growth target:

= 400,000 cars / year * 1.75^6 = 11.5M cars / year.
11.5M / 80M = 14.4%, so he’s predicting a 0.6% marketshare for all other manufacturer’s EVs combined:)

Of course that’s assuming Tesla’s Robo-Taxi efforts have completely failed and not started to displace gasoline car sales on a 5 to 1 basis!

Last edited: