Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good news!

8oXhc44.jpg

He has missed a few self imposed deadlines, but a lot of the bitching and moaning about failed Elon Musk promises ultimately comes from people misremembering or misrepresenting what was actually “promised”

I’m guessing you misremembered what he said.

What Elon Musk actually said was “Tesla may grant certain customers early access to a “feature complete” version of the company’s “full self-driving” (FSD) capabilities by the end of 2019, Elon Musk said in a call with investors Wednesday. Musk said that this wasn’t “for sure” — but that he thinks Tesla is on track for the release”.
Tesla’s ‘Full Self-Driving’ feature may get early-access release by the end of 2019

Anyone who witnessed this call could tell he really wanted to do this but was really unsure. The pace of technological development can be very difficult to predict.

It’s better - and not that hard - to look up what he actually said. Was it a promise, expectation, goal, hope, or off the cuff remark?

People tend to just parrot what the headlines are, which are often tenuously related to the truth. And some people make specious accusations or repeat outright lies because they have an agenda.

Be mindful of where you get your information.

Well, whatever we wish to argue here, on tesla.com it states (and this in in Europe where we don't have smart summon yet and still have to confirm lane-changes under NoA). Even if the car was technically capable of it all, the regulations don't allow it:

Coming this year:

Recognition and reaction to traffic lights and stop signs.
Driving assistance in the city.
Improved Auto Exit - from your parking lot, your vehicle will come to meet you in the parking lot.

Reactions: lklundin
more proof those guys are dinosaurs

minutes long bash segment

tim, carter, all of them, slimy

the same repeat nonsense OPINIONs portrayed casually and confidently as fact, in order to force an uninformed listener to feel stupid not to believe them. they’re trained to prey on the psychology of the viewer, and are pathological liars.

trash

rated helpful (thanks for the deep track curt) so the drones out there can stop believing everything the ‘professionals’ say on TV
CNBC = See now, before collapse ? :cool:

I've always envisioned an individual hedge fund or other manipulator using algobots to sell in the necessary quantities to depress the stock in relatively low volume times of day and then cover (buy) when trading is more brisk in such a fashion that the combinations of the buying and the selling yields a net decrease in the share price. The idea would be to engineer a decrease in the stock price with a zero net change in the organization's short holdings. For example, today from 3 to 4pm we saw TSLA dip more than $2 into the close in relatively low volume. A manipulator would sell short sufficiently during that final hour to take a dip of less than $1 that would be associated with the macro dip and turn it into a dip of over $2. He could then cover in the final minute or after-hours and get a zero increase in the stock price associated with his buying because there's a willing seller at a moment when the transaction would not change the stock price. The question is, "who's that willing seller?" Another technique could be to look at the order book and see how much covering you could do without causing the SP to rise. The reverse would be to reference the order book and overload the book with selling per minute in such a way that you walk the stock price down. Look at many trading times with TSLA and the appearance is that someone is setting up a linear decrease in the stock price using very small stairsteps.

Edit: The gamesmanship of moving the stock price with the combination of selling and (later) covering can get complicated when you realize it's not all about volume. Sometimes it is about momentum by capping a climb through selling or starting downward momentum through selling. Sometimes it's about selling enough to hit a big whole number and trigger the stop loss orders for that number. Sometimes it's to take a piece of FUD and suggest that there's fear in the marketplace about the FUD by selling. Part of the gamesmanship is understanding what triggers other algobots to buy or sell and then using other people's algobots to enhance your strategy.

Trying to picture two entities selling shares back and forth with each other complicates the picture. Let me wrap my mind around the possible pros and cons for a manipulator working in such a fashion. Edit 2: My initial impression is that if you're trying to knock the price down, you want the fewest number of willing buyers, and so a team approach to selling and buying at the same time wouldn't be a viable concept.

One of my personal conspiracy theories is that we have the shorts driving the price down, then some other funds buying low in order to a) hedge the shorts to get out at a reasonable price if needed, b) dump shares on the open market at below market price to stop the up-swings.

With all the money in the fossil-fuel industry, wouldn't take much for them to setup a billion$ "fund" just for this type of trading, as long as they don't accumulate 5%, then nobody's the wiser.

Most funds would trade the stock for profits, they are trading it for manipulation - and yet could still be profitable from it.

A question for you investment experts that know all about this stuff... (and related to Tesla honest!)
Because I see tesla as pretty much unbeatable, I also made a few investments in a few tangential stocks which I think the growth in EVs and batteries would generate linked growth in. Two of them have done badly and I just *do not understand why*.

Here they are:
Kuka (robotics) stock ticker KU2:
KUKA AG (KU2.DE) Income Statement - Yahoo Finance
(I get that their profit has fallen but....how the hell? surely a robotics company is a license to print money right now?)

Sociedad Quimica Y Minera De Chile:Stock ticker: SQM
(Lithium producer... seriously surely another money license?)

The Global X Funds Lithium & battery tech ETF. (stock ticker: LIT)
This is getting silly...how can this be DOWN so much? surely everyone is investing in batteries and lithium?

Am I just super-unlucky and picking the worst stock in every category. Normally I'd sell Kuka as I am so down but part of me thinks Tesla, or somebody like Tesla will just buy them at some point. Market cap 1.5billion...

To expand on what others have said re: lithium stocks... a lot of it is supply. The plans to open up Bolivian lithium supply would have depressed stocks in existing lithium miners in places like Chile, and LIT has a whole bunch of those and AFAIK no or minimal exposure to Bolivian supply.

Reactions: jbcarioca
Slightly off topic but not really.

I will be selling some of my TSLA over the next week. Not because I have concerns about the stock or the company, but to allow me to purchase 4 acres of heaven that my wife and I can build our dream house on and retire to. SO EXCITED!

This dream come true is all because of Tesla and TSLA and would not have been possible without both of them. (Yes, I will make sure the garage is big enough to fit our Cybertruck when it gets delivered!)

Dan

Attachments

• 20191205_133145.jpg
    20191205_133145.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 70
  • 20191205_133148.jpg
    20191205_133148.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 67
Slightly off topic but not really.

I will be selling some of my TSLA over the next week. Not because I have concerns about the stock or the company, but to allow me to purchase 4 acre of heaven that my wife and I can build our dream house on and retire to. SO EXCITED!

Thus dream come true is all because of Tesla and TSLA and would not have been possible without. (Yes, I will make sure the garage is big enough to fit our Cybertruck when it gets delivered!)

Dan

Pity you can't wait until closer to EOQ; the stock seems like it'll be greatly increasing around then, either during run up or after results.

But congrats!

Do you have a source for that? I don't recall Musk ever hinting at getting into the mining of lithium! Not even once. Lithium is not much of a potential price or supply bottleneck.
Don't really need to. The Thacker Pass Lithium project, ongoing via American Lithium Corp, is a major new source near GF1 (from a company with $53M market cap) :eek:

Projects - American Lithium Corp.

"located approximately 4 hours from the Tesla Gigafactory, the TLC Project aims to offer an economic alternative to regional players such as the productive Ioneer Ltd. (formerly Global Geoscience) lithium claystone project, and even the oldest & largest lithium mine in the U.S. at Clayton Valley."​

TL;dr Lithium is not the issue. It's NICKEL that Tesla will likely go after. Look for a play in Canada (Ontario/Quebec shield resources).

Do you have a source for that? I don't recall Musk ever hinting at getting into the mining of lithium! Not even once. Lithium is not much of a potential price or supply bottleneck.

Also, a surplus of lithium raw product is a good thing. Mining company managements are not stupid, they know why there is currently a surplus of supply and want to make money as much as anyone when demand starts growing again.

In my opinion Lithium Carbonate/Hydroxide and Nickel Sulphate supply are by far the largest potential bottleneck to the EV transition. The price isn't really an issue (likely $500 lithium hydroxide and $900 Nickel sulphate per SR+ pack currently), but in the future actual availability could be. Not this year, but during the period 4-10 years from now when EV penetration really does takeover. Lithium and Nickel sulphate are the slowest moving part of the EV production capex chain (Tesla can build a car factory in 1 year, likely it can build & ramp its own cell and pack factory in 1-3 years, but new Lithium plants take 5+ years to ramp). Elon has said Tesla should get into Nickel and Lithium processing. He is right and I really hope they will.

None of the leading Lithium and Nickel companies believe in an EV transition anywhere near as aggressive as Tesla, so they are not investing in the 2025-2030 capacity required to meet Tesla's goals. For example ALB is expecting demand from EVs of 700kt LCE (lithium carbonate equivalent) in 2025 (which is equivalent to a 4x increase in Lithium market size from 2018 levels). This is enough for 13 million EVs at a 56kwh average pack size (size of the SR+ pack) and market average 0.93kg LCE /kwh (I think Tesla's is closer to 0.7kg/kwh as it has more advanced chemistry). This is what the industry is building towards, but it is not enough. Tesla alone will need around 10x the current Lithium market to supply its 2TWh cell production target, or c.2x more than the entire global lithium capacity targeted by the industry by 2025.

There is no lack of actual resources in the ground, but there will be a lack of mines and processed high purity metals unless capex is quickly ramped.

I think average Lithium capex of around $700-1,400m per 1 million EV capacity will be required. Likely less than 20% of capex is used for buying the resources in the ground plus buying the equipment to dig it up (or pump it up for Lithium brines). Nearly all the capex is for highly complex processing - crushing equipment, processing, refining or electrochemical plants etc. For example, look at Nemaska Lithium's project (https://www.nemaskalithium.com/assets/documents/NMX_NI4301_20190809.pdf) Page 394 shows pure mine capex at just CAD$28.5m (total mine site CAD447m) vs total capex of CAD1.27bn including the electrochemical plant.

These are highly complicated value add processes and it takes 5-6 years to ramp up a new lithium plant. The purity and consistency of the metal (particularly lithium carbonate/hydroxide) is also critical to battery energy density, cycle life, power density and safety. So it is not easy to substitute new lithium producers into your cell supply.

There has been one main reason for Lithium Prices crashing the past 18 months.
China EV sales are far far below plans this year following the economic downturn and huge subsidy cuts. Battery metal capacity had been built for a supply ramp which didn't happen and this supply is now flooding the market. The price impact of this has been exacerbated by two factors:
  • Lithium Supply had been built for low quality low range batteries with low tech cell chemistries. The Chinese subsidy change means there is very little demand for these low range subsidy driven cars anymore. The Lithium purity ordered for these cars is not good enough to build high quality high energy density cells, so this low grade product is finding no buyers any more. Hence the price of low grade lithium products finding no floor, while at the same time cell supply for high quality battery cells is still limited.
  • Lithium Carbonate and Hydroxide cannot be stored and stockpiled for long. The product quickly spoils, so unlike most commodities, a producer cannot simply stockpile when the price is low - they have to sell quickly no matter the price. This means prices are always going to be volatile and will always be driven by very short term supply and demand dynamics rather than longer term considerations. To some extent this is more similar to the volatility you see in short shelf life agricultural commodities.
So Lithium Prices have crashed due to a short term subsidy adjustment in China, not due to a long term setback to the EV transition story. However, the lower prices have caused lots of lithium companies to fail to raise financing and cancel production plans that would have brought on new capacity after 5-6 years in the 2025+ timescale. So I think it is important for companies like Tesla that actually do still believe in the EV transition, and have the cash to finance it, to step in to fund the capacity required to match their battery cell production ambitions.

Its a very big mistake to take a short term lithium price correction the past 18 months to mean there is no need to bother helping to build future capacity.

Note my argument is utterly different to the false FUD narrative that there are not enough lithium, cobalt and nickel resources for the EV transition. There are plenty of resources. And it is relatively easy to build the new capacity to get to a 100% Clean Energy society. But this takes time and cash. I'm just saying Tesla needs to be masters of their own destiny and not rely on an array of half incompetent junior metals startups and conservative larger metals corporations who believe in a slow EV transition to deliver on a product so critical to Tesla's own extremely aggressive battery production targets.

Nickel Sulphate is a similar story, but I'll discuss that another time .

Last edited:
Don't really need to. The Thacker Pass Lithium project, ongoing via American Lithium Corp, is a major new source near GF1 (from a company with $53M market cap) :eek:

Projects - American Lithium Corp.

"located approximately 4 hours from the Tesla Gigafactory, the TLC Project aims to offer an economic alternative to regional players such as the productive Ioneer Ltd. (formerly Global Geoscience) lithium claystone project, and even the oldest & largest lithium mine in the U.S. at Clayton Valley."​

TL;dr Lithium is not the issue. It's NICKEL that Tesla will likely go after. Look for a play in Canada (Ontario/Quebec shield resources).

While I wouldn't go so far as to say that lithium isn't an issue for scaleup rates, I do agree that nickel sulfide is probably a more critical factor. That said, I don't expect the focus to be on nickel sulfide deposits, like in Ontario / Quebec. I fully expect it to be on HPAL-processed limonitic laterites. The former aren't abundant enough and are geographically concentrated in specific areas. Limonitic nickel laterites can be found abundantly around the world (though most commonly in lower-latitude areas) and are a very cheap raw material (it's always been processing them economically that's been the challenge).

Lithium limitations are surely a solid #2 for scaleup limitations, however. Rare earths would also be up there for the automotive side (GF1 will obviously be a major customer of Mountain Pass, at the very least!). Battery-grade graphite might be, but if it would be, Tesla might just choose to go with synthetic graphite / amorphous carbon / etc anodes. Cobalt reductions (and potential elimination) will eventually bring it to the point where you're getting all your cobalt needs just from nickel production (limonitic nickel laterites are usually particularly cobalt-rich). Nothing else is used in great enough quantity relative to how abundantly it's already used by other industries to pose raw feedstock limitations (not sure whether Tesla actually makes all of the components of the electrolytes themselves - I really doubt that at present - but the raw feedstocks used to do so are just commodity petrochemical compounds, hydrofluoric acid, simple boron and phosphorus compounds, etc, all of which are abundant in industrial usage compared to Tesla's needs). Tesla's needs are also relatively insignificant to copper and esp. alumium markets.

Last edited:
Another super headline (not). Makes it sound like Tesla is being investigated, not UBS.
It's not just the headline, the whole article is carefully written to make it appear that the SEC may be investiging Tesla. Every single time they mention investigation it is of "the firm", never UBS nor Tesla. Totally reads like a FUD piece.