Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The proper car to cite here is the Chevy Bolt, not the Volt. Even if Lutz pushed through the Volt, which I didn't know. That's a Hybrid, the Bolt is the BEV. Did the author get mixed up?
To be honest the Volt ( which I still have) was my gateway drug to the awesomeness that is Tesla.

Has the frequency of Ihor's TSLA short interest gone down? Or are we just not talking about it that often?

Many (most?) of us don't trust his numbers.

I'll venture that a lot of what we have seen this morning was short covering. And it's better when shorts cover than when the mo-mo crowd jumps in because when a short buys to cover their short position, they no longer have anything to sell. Unlike when the mo-mo crowd buys in, they generally sell it soon.

Of course a short can always sell short again (that is if they have any money left) but my intuition tells me many of them will not want to repeat that experiment again! ;)

Last edited:
I don't understand why people are surprised about this. To feed the hungry beast that is mass-produced EVs, you have to have a lot of batteries. Gigafactory 1 is just meeting the demands of S, 3, and X currently, let alone future demands of Y, Cybertruck, ATV, and Semi. GF3 is going to have a battery cell building, why wouldn't GF4?

....and grid storage which will be a huge user of cells.

Yes, but times about eight!

Which makes me think the people manipulating this stock don't understand the dynamics very well. Either that or they think they can make it a "scary" stock by increasing the volatility.

And where would days like today be without our usual beatings in between. I like the swings - ignore and dips, celebrate the pops! It shakes off the weak like my friend who just cashed in last week which triggers even more volatility.

This whole time (2 yrs+) I've been hoping "the pop" would coincide with my 59.5 retirement age on Feb 10th, 2020. This might actually happen! Wouldn't Q4 earnings be out by then, with the Y lurking?

I was wanting to see if the NTSB had finished its investigation into a crash earlier this year and ended up going through the last 100 reports dating back to 8 Oct 2014 for a 2013 accident (the reports appear to be in reverse chronological order by reporting date). Eight of those 100 reports involved Tesla vehicles. While I realize that the NTSB would, rightfully, prioritize opening investigations into vehicles with new technology I find it more than a little surprising that fully 8% of the reports were for vehicles that represent less than 0.1% of those found on the road.*[1]

Moreover, there is a pattern in the reports of seeking to undermine Tesla's AutoPilot system while maintaining that the driver assistance systems of other manufacturers are adequate. This determination is based on three thrings:
  1. NTSB accepted the explanation of other manufacturers
  2. NTSB rejects Tesla's explanation
  3. NTSB only considers driving assistance when it is a Tesla involved in an accident
I wish I were kidding, but that is the extent of their analysis [7] where they do not even consider any accident other than those involving Tesla's AutoPilot and do not consider any evidence that Telsa's AutoPilot has avoided accidents. This last omission is understandable insofar as the NTSB investigates accidents so they do not investigate non-accidents. However, in their reports they pull in data from all over and it would be in keeping with this holistic view evidenced in other facets of their reports to consider such evidence. Consequently this looks like a deliberate omission. Nor do they even acknowledge other manufacturer vehicles still get in accidents despite the driver assistance features. Moreover, they offer no explanation for why they reject Tesla's AutoPilot while accepting the claims of other manufacturers -- and conceal this by couching it in a way to mislead the reader.

While Hanlon's razor should always be considered, this isn't a matter of stupidity -- the bias is plain to see if you look at all. What isn't known is whether that bias is willful or paid for. My bet is that the good folks at the NTSB have contacts in the automotive industry with whom they have a good working relationship and they just don't think too much about how that relationship is managed. In other words, willfully deluded co-conspirators rather than knowingly complicit.

Of the six distinct, investigated accidents involving Tesla vehicles, the NTSB faulted autopilot in four of them and two involved battery fires.
  • May 2016, fatality, truck driver failed to yield right of way combined with autopilot (final report) [2]
  • May 2018, unsafe driver (preliminary report) [this one was a kid joy riding and losing control] [3]
  • March 2018, fatality, battery fire, autopilot, unrepaired crash attenuator (final report)** [4]
  • March 2019, fatality, autopilot (preliminary report) [5]
  • June 2018, battery fire (preliminary report [6]
  • Jan 2018, autopilot*** [7]
* there is some double counting going on, the first 100 reports include preliminary and final reports. About 3/8 of the reports are preliminary (37/100) while 5/8 are preliminary for Tesla.

** this one was interesting because the final report was titled "Addressing Systemic Problems Related to the Timely Repair of Traffic Safety Hardware in California". While the preliminary report focused on autopilot the final report castigates California's roadway maintenance.

*** at least this one they acknowledged "inconsistent with guidance and warnings from the manufacturer," but nevertheless they conclude because of the May 2016 accident that this leads to driver over reliance and that while everyone (VW, BMW, Nissan, Mercedes-Benz and Volva are named) else's driver assistance are adequate, Tesla's is not.

1) Number of cars in U.S. | Statista
2) https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/AccidentReports/Pages/HWY16FH018-preliminary.aspx
3) https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/AccidentReports/Pages/HWY18FH013-prelim.aspx
4) https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/AccidentReports/Pages/HWY18FH011-preliminary.aspx
5) https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/AccidentReports/Pages/HWY19FH008-preliminary-report.aspx
6) https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/AccidentReports/Pages/HWY18FH014-preliminary.aspx
7) https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/AccidentReports/Pages/HAB1907.aspx

Has the frequency of Ihor's TSLA short interest gone down? Or are we just not talking about it that often?

I used to report his numbers, but the evidence is that his numbers do not represent actual short interest in $TSLA especially when short interest is significantly increasing and he reports that it is dropping. This makes it pretty useless, at least for $TSLA.

This shows the author didn’t even read that motor trend article and didn’t understand why they are flat.

Very few read that article - How Tesla's Cybertruck Turns Car Engineering Norms Upside-Down - Motor Trend - which, in my opinion, is the *only* thing worse reading about the truck. I've watched dozens of video, read plenty of blog posts, articles, analyses, Twitter threads, etc.

The worse thing is that those who don't like the design are the ones who would benefit the most from reading it! If you don't like something, at least try to understand why this thing is proposed for mass production so you can better criticize it and fight it. Anyone has the right to dislike something and do something about it. Just be smart and make dislike useful!

Maybe what makes it ugly to your eyes are the reasons why the truck can be made both very cheap and practical. Maybe these cost and utility advantages are so good enough for some people to like an ugly product so much that they start to enjoy thinking or looking at it. Maybe beauty is relative. Or maybe I read to much Spinoza

Last edited:
I was wanting to see if the NTSB had finished its investigation into a crash earlier this year and ended up going through the last 100 reports dating back to 8 Oct 2014 for a 2013 accident (the reports appear to be in reverse chronological order by reporting date). Eight of those 100 reports involved Tesla vehicles. While I realize that the NTSB would, rightfully, prioritize opening investigations into vehicles with new technology I find it more than a little surprising that fully 8% of the reports were for vehicles that represent less than 0.1% of those found on the road.*[1]

Moreover, there is a pattern in the reports of seeking to undermine Tesla's AutoPilot system while maintaining that the driver assistance systems of other manufacturers are adequate. This determination is based on three thrings:
  1. NTSB accepted the explanation of other manufacturers
  2. NTSB rejects Tesla's explanation
  3. NTSB only considers driving assistance when it is a Tesla involved in an accident
I wish I were kidding, but that is the extent of their analysis [7] where they do not even consider any accident other than those involving Tesla's AutoPilot and do not consider any evidence that Telsa's AutoPilot has avoided accidents. This last omission is understandable insofar as the NTSB investigates accidents so they do not investigate non-accidents. However, in their reports they pull in data from all over and it would be in keeping with this holistic view evidenced in other facets of their reports to consider such evidence. Consequently this looks like a deliberate omission. Nor do they even acknowledge other manufacturer vehicles still get in accidents despite the driver assistance features. Moreover, they offer no explanation for why they reject Tesla's AutoPilot while accepting the claims of other manufacturers -- and conceal this by couching it in a way to mislead the reader.

While Hanlon's razor should always be considered, this isn't a matter of stupidity -- the bias is plain to see if you look at all. What isn't known is whether that bias is willful or paid for. My bet is that the good folks at the NTSB have contacts in the automotive industry with whom they have a good working relationship and they just don't think too much about how that relationship is managed. In other words, willfully deluded co-conspirators rather than knowingly complicit.

Of the six distinct, investigated accidents involving Tesla vehicles, the NTSB faulted autopilot in four of them and two involved battery fires.
  • May 2016, fatality, truck driver failed to yield right of way combined with autopilot (final report) [2]
  • May 2018, unsafe driver (preliminary report) [this one was a kid joy riding and losing control] [3]
  • March 2018, fatality, battery fire, autopilot, unrepaired crash attenuator (final report)** [4]
  • March 2019, fatality, autopilot (preliminary report) [5]
  • June 2018, battery fire (preliminary report [6]
  • Jan 2018, autopilot*** [7]
* there is some double counting going on, the first 100 reports include preliminary and final reports. About 3/8 of the reports are preliminary (37/100) while 5/8 are preliminary for Tesla.

** this one was interesting because the final report was titled "Addressing Systemic Problems Related to the Timely Repair of Traffic Safety Hardware in California". While the preliminary report focused on autopilot the final report castigates California's roadway maintenance.

*** at least this one they acknowledged "inconsistent with guidance and warnings from the manufacturer," but nevertheless they conclude because of the May 2016 accident that this leads to driver over reliance and that while everyone (VW, BMW, Nissan, Mercedes-Benz and Volva are named) else's driver assistance are adequate, Tesla's is not.

1) Number of cars in U.S. | Statista
2) https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/AccidentReports/Pages/HWY16FH018-preliminary.aspx
3) https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/AccidentReports/Pages/HWY18FH013-prelim.aspx
4) https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/AccidentReports/Pages/HWY18FH011-preliminary.aspx
5) https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/AccidentReports/Pages/HWY19FH008-preliminary-report.aspx
6) https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/AccidentReports/Pages/HWY18FH014-preliminary.aspx
7) https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/AccidentReports/Pages/HAB1907.aspx

Recommend this post for the noteworthy posts thread.

Here that is directly on the Zacks website: Bull of the Day: Tesla (TSLA)

Ben and Mitch Zacks were regular guests of mine on my old TV show.
Can we get you a show on YouTube? Perhaps a monthly chat, ala Jack Rickard but more focused on Tesla financials. At least then I won't have to listen to Gallop at 0.50x speed... ;)

Cheers!

The proper car to cite here is the Chevy Bolt, not the Volt. Even if Lutz pushed through the Volt, which I didn't know. That's a Hybrid, the Bolt is the BEV. Did the author get mixed up?

You have to be aware of context. Lutz wasn't involved with the Bolt development, and had pushed the development of the Volt despite GM recalling all their EV1's (funny how Tesla used that same situation to push for BEV's). It's an in-house political thing, to which he deserved credit for pushing for the plug-in hybrid at all.

That he would bash on Tesla after leaving GM was a case of jealousy and possible paid speaking engagements.

The kind of rally we are having today I thought we would see yesterday. And when it petered out yesterday, I was fairly confident it wouldn’t happen today.

So either I’m uniquely unsuited for day trading, or it’s insanely difficult.

Sticking with my LEAPs.
Both your either/or statements are probably true. Even on two day in a row days I've had dubious sucsess. That is sell near the high on one day with the hope hope of re-buying during the MMD can go awrye. For example, sell yesterday at $339, which IIRC was witin a dollar of high, and finding it at that price at opening today and still going up blows that stategy, although it's now dropping slightly. We'll see if that continues. It's just too nervewracking and time consuming to keep up, unless you're a bot, dealing with thousands or 100+k shares at a time, where a few pennies per trade really adds up.

I like the trajectory today. Time to start working on our 420 celebration pictures.

Already have mine in place!

I don't disagree regarding your thoughts on the effectiveness of manipulation, but...barring a complete macro meltdown or something else, it just makes the most sense (to me) that the stock will head back to $360 as we approach delivery numbers and, if those are good, Q4 ER in mid-to-late January. My expectation is that traders will pile in expecting a run-up leading up to the ER and/or price in the possibility of a breakout due to Model Y and other guidance given on the call.

I continue to think we're headed for at least ~$360 between now and the delivery report barring any change in fundamentals. A leaked positive e-mail is all it could take to be knocking on $370. I also continue to think that a Q4 earnings report that is a repeat of, or improvement on, the financials of Q3 coupled with positive forward looking statements is what will finally send TSLA into the $400s.

Rarely do I make predictions, but this just feels likely, and I'm positioned accordingly, with some hedges still in place of course...

I like the trajectory today. Time to start working on our 420 celebration pictures.
My 420 pic ...

Time to Cover ... :)

Screen Shot 2019-12-10 at 12.03.17 PM.png