Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably could use cheap, readily-constructed/purchased, generic factory/warehouse space for cybertruck. No need for special plumbing/materials handling for paint and beefy foundations for stamping.

Fremont seems to be overkill and too expensive for this. Maybe Roadster for Fremont?
You're right, just final assembly for Cybertruck. Why wouldn' they use idle capacity at Fremont? Adding another shift to GA1 would be tiny CapEx, whereas building another final assembly line elsewhere adds cost, and complicates logisitics since battery packs and motors for S/X are already build at Fremont. And Plaid Model S by Summer of 2020 means that Tesla is already spending some of that.

Reactions: Sean Wagner
You're right, just final assembly for Cybertruck. Why wouldn' they use idle capacity at Fremont? Adding another shift to GA1 would be tiny CapEx, whereas building another final assembly line elsewhere adds cost, and complicates logisitics since battery packs and motors for S/X are already build at Fremont. And Plaid Model S by Summer of 2020 means that Tesla is already spending some of that.

I agree that you could use Fremont for this. But the best use for Fremont is a vehicle that requires Fremont's stamping press and paint shop. Tesla has at least two of these vehicles coming out shortly.

It just seems that GF3 is pointing in a different direction. Except for the stamping press and paint shop, it looks more like the new Lathrop parts distribution center. And buildings like the Lathrop parts distribution center can be constructed or bought quickly and reasonably cheaply.

So possibly 50K Cybertrucks/year from 1 shift? Maybe slightly more with improving efficiencies. But I don't think this'll be the final answer. Consumers will demand more 21st Century high-tech trucks, and Tesla will find a new way to build them.

Cheers!

Please build more that 50K Cybertrucks per year, I can't wait another year or 2 after the first gets delivered :eek:

Robinhood and many other apps supports fraction shares now, so unit price is not a problem anymore.
Last I heard SP500 weight is based on share price, not market cap...:confused:
So, better not split to keep it higher, or, even a reverse split to hack the dis-functional system.

Edit:
What I remembered is apparently wrong:
What Does the S&P 500 Index Measure and How Is It Calculated?
SP500 is market cap weighted.

I think you were thinking of the DJIA... AAPL had to split to get into that

Created a new twitter handle to watch the monkeys over in TSLAQ. Nothing about the company's fundamentals. All gloating over random crashes, claims that tax credits will kill demand, concern trolling over FSD safety etc.

They are finished, and the cracks are showing.

Edit, much crowing about a video of 2 idiots doing really stupid things while autopilot is on. They have a point there. Tesla needs to take a firm stance on defeat devices. If you get caught using one (say posting a video or god forbid if they can detect the constant torque) then your FSD license is revoked permanently and you don't get your money back.

Last edited:
What major parts do you think need stamped?
Off topic really, but I can't help wondering if Tesla will expand its metallurgy into casting metal foam and use that instead of compact, solid aluminium. Lathrop already has some foundry I think; there were ads to fill such jobs maybe a year ago? And at least some chassis parts are cast in Al at Fremont, also from my faint memory.

With the CT they have pretty much a clean slate when it comes to mass production and can start from first principles -- which is Elon's First Principle! :cool: Well, I dunno.

Reactions: UncaNed
I guess Audi may have convinced the regulator to allow them to make a real-world demonstration that this is indeed safe before it is commonly approved, but I have to imagine we will be seeing a general approval soon in the EU.

Cameras as side mirrors has been approuved by ECE regulations since 2016.

InterRegs Spotlight: ECE Regulation on Rear Vision Updated to Permit Camera Based Systems

It is legal also in Japan and now fitted on the Lexus ES.

Point is, the Audi etron side cameras are a 2000$ optional, that must be bought with other optional.
I guess cost is the reason why in EU doesn't seems to elicit all that interest...