Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you look at Bethany McLean's Twitter you'll quickly realize that she is TSLAQ through and through:

She's far more cozy with prominent TSLAQ ringleaders than Dana Hull or Russ Mitchell ever was.

How this kind of blatant, seemingly criminal interference with Tesla's business is tolerated by CNBC is beyond me - it's a substantial legal risk at this point IMO, and the First Amendment doesn't offer much protection against this kind of profit oriented smear and what (allegedly) looks like outright libel and securities fraud: market manipulation and an illegal short-and-distort campaign.

I just wanted to take a moment to thank Fact Checking for all the incredible amount of information that he/she gives all of us here on several completely diverse topics like finance, IT, logistics, manufacturing and a myriad of other subjects. Not only does he/she know and gather so much valuable info, but is able to condense it and explain it in simple english.

Many thanks and much respect.

Are you saying you're not an alcoholic after the 1st half of the year we had?

Am I the only one here who was actually drinking alcohol the moment we broke ATH?

Not that I’m always down the pub, you understand...

Futures flat, pre-market watchlist a mixed bag, but we have the wildcard of margin calls. Given that the only shorts not underwater are those that opened positions at 395, I expect some action today.

Good morning Mr McShort, this is your broker calling...

upload_2019-12-19_13-6-11.png
upload_2019-12-19_13-6-11.jpeg

Nvidia has announced a new automotive FSD chip, "Orin":

They claim 200 TOPS performance in a similar power envelope as Tesla's HW3 chip, which top line performance figure is higher than Tesla's FSD chip with 140 TOPS, but there's a number of key differences:
  • Nvidia bases their 200 TOPS performance not on a large real-life FSD neural network, but on a usual INT8 benchmark that likely fully fits into their cache.
  • Tesla has on-board SRAM which is directly addressable, i.e. there's no RAM traffic during inference calculations of loaded networks.
  • Nvidia's new chip on the other hand still has visible cache structures on the CPU die:
    • Orin_678x452.jpg
Note that horizontal rectangular area in the middle-left area, that looks like a shared CPU cache to me. (But I could be misreading the die.)

Tesla has a very different chip design, which visibly differs from Nvidia's:

800px-tesla_fsd_die_%28annotated%29.png

Note how the on-die SRAM areas (areas with vertical striping) are next to the NPUs, feeding a hierarchy of functional units.

I.e. I believe even Nvidia's latest chip doesn't have even close to the real-world NN inference computing performance of Tesla's HW3 chip: Tesla's chip can load very big neural networks and do one inference calculation per cycle. Nvidia's chip is a traditional design and has to fall back to DRAM for large networks and has caching overhead.

Also, much of Nvidia's speedup is probably from the 7nm process they are using, while Tesla's HW3 chip is using a 14nm fab process.

The performance advantage from a process shrink is almost quadratic for simplified designs like Tesla's NN chip - i.e. Tesla's HW3 chip, when shrunk to a 10 nm or 7 nm process, would likely have real-world NN inference computing performance well beyond Nvidia's benchmark-only 200 TOPS.

TL;DR: Tesla's HW3 advantage is IMO not endangered by Nvidia's Orin.

Does it matter? Nvidia is only a competitor if they can sell this chip to Tesla cheaper than Tesla can make their own, which is great for Tesla. Last time I checked, Tesla is not in the business of selling chips. No car manufacture is buying Nvidia chips in bulk except Tesla back in the days so as far as I can tell, autonomous chips are a dead end for Nvidia. It's like selling a computer with a proprietary OS that doesn't work...which is no better than a paperweight.

Nvidia lost the autonomous race when they lost Tesla as a partner. Tesla is the only company that can help them build this "OS" to completion.

• Informative
Reactions: Drax7
Does it matter? Nvidia is only a competitor if they can sell this chip to Tesla cheaper than Tesla can make their own, which is great for Tesla. Last time I checked, Tesla is not in the business of selling chips. No car manufacture is buying Nvidia chips in bulk except Tesla back in the days so as far as I can tell, autonomous chips are a dead end for Nvidia. It's like selling a computer with a proprietary OS that doesn't work...which is no better than a paperweight.

Nvidia lost the autonomous race when they lost Tesla as a partner. Tesla is the only company that can help them build this "OS" to completion.

Well, if I'm a ICE manufacturer and finally see the light, I will use google software, nvidia's new chip, and bob's my uncle.

VW's ID3 for example. Start with the above, and potentially start the process of vertical integration, if I have enough long-term vision.