Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where is the price going next? I don't know, but here's a baseless conjecture.

Tesla tends to trade in a wide interval for several years before breaking into the next interval.

First, $20 to $36.
Second, $190 to $270
Third, $270 to $370
Fourth, $370 to ???

There was a transition from first interval to second. Likewise from the third to fourth, we've had a dal segno to $180 and back. Now we appear to be headed into the fourth interval.

So let's suppose that a certain interval will prevail over the next several years. What would be that range. Here's my totally baseless guess.

Fourth, $370 to $520.

I think there is a tremendous amount of attention on the $420, but that is too close to $370 to hold as an upper limit. We may get hung up at $420 for a while, but the real hype train needs much more range to roam. $470 could be a upper limit, but on a relative scale the range from $370 to $470 is really not that compelling. Musk's award is linked to a market cap of $100B or about $554/sh. So that will be a major battle with shorts. So I think $570 is too high for the fourth interval. So spitting the difference $520 seems about right and has some symbolic resonance with $420.

So there you go. Look for Tesla to be range bound between $370 and $520 for several years. The exciting part is that we could see the high $520 marked very quickly. Perhaps within 6 months.

Enjoy the ride!
I don't think we will have ranges lasting as long in the next few years. Previously, step changes in revenue were dependent on the launch of 1 product which would then spend a couple of years optimising returns and was limited to production from one factory.

Over the next few years we have back to back launches of Y, CT, Semi and an expected ramp in energy. This is also being paralleled via multiple factories.

We should generally see revenues continuously drive higher while all these products and factories are ramping and the stock price should follow (with plenty of noise along the way)

Tesla tends to trade in a wide interval for several years before breaking into the next interval.

First, $20 to $36.
Second, $190 to $270
Third, $270 to $370
Fourth, $370 to ???

There was a transition from first interval to second. Likewise from the third to fourth, we've had a dal segno to $180 and back. Now we appear to be headed into the fourth interval.

So let's suppose that a certain interval will prevail over the next several years. What would be that range. Here's my totally baseless guess.

Fourth, $370 to $520.

I think there is a tremendous amount of attention on the $420, but that is too close to $370 to hold as an upper limit. We may get hung up at $420 for a while, but the real hype train needs much more range to roam. $470 could be a upper limit, but on a relative scale the range from $370 to $470 is really not that compelling. Musk's award is linked to a market cap of $100B or about $554/sh. So that will be a major battle with shorts. So I think $570 is too high for the fourth interval. So spitting the difference $520 seems about right and has some symbolic resonance with $420.

So there you go. Look for Tesla to be range bound between $370 and $520 for several years. The exciting part is that we could see the high $520 marked very quickly. Perhaps within 6 months.

Enjoy the ride!

One thing I've learned repeatedly is patterns repeat, but only until they don't. It's not wise to expect a stock's share price to behave in a predictable way just because it has established three somewhat well-defined trading ranges previously.

Tesla is morphing into a different company in many distinct ways right before our eyes and will likely have a different share price pattern than it did under it's previous self:

1) Tesla is moving out of the establishment phase where they have been dependent upon regular infusions of cash to develop their lower volume vehicles and get them into production and changing into a self-sustaining company, able to stand on their own, where the only reason they might raise more capital is to be able to expand more rapidly than their profits would otherwise allow.

2) They are moving from a low volume niche manufacturer into a high volume, mainstream manufacturer. In 2020 they will have two high volume models (3 and Y) and Plaid versions of S (and X?) and over the next two years will be rolling out the Tesla semi, the Cybertruck and the Roadster. This is a departure from one new low volume car every 2 years.

3) While they have built out their international operations over several years, it is only now that they are truly becoming a well-distributed manufacturer with production facilities worldwide and a nice spread of sales that are not heavily over-weighted to one market.

4) They have announced 2020 as the year they will roll-out their solar roof in a big way. This should mean significant revenues from a source other than autos.

5) It sure looks like they are making the transition to making their own batteries.

As JustMe pointed out, Tesla is now growing exponentially. This is going to affect the way the stock trades. TSLA could blow right through that theoretical trading range of $370-$520 that you expect based on past behavior. Without a better reason than "history repeats itself", I would expect it to do something different. Wildly different. This is one of the most, if not the most, dynamic companies on planet earth! I expect something better than for it to trade in a $150 range for "several years". $520 is only 28% above the current price, a price that I consider somewhat undervalued right now! If I thought we would be rangebound "for the next several years" I wouldn't even be in this stock.

Please tell us you're just pulling our legs. That you really don't believe that.

Last edited:
Sure, mark-up with crayons is very flexible. Is where you're going "the 12 Days of Christmas"?

View attachment 490920

To state the obvious: Somebody B.I.G. is running a buying program right now, and controlling the SP in a narrow upward channel, enforced by frequent increases in a 'buy-wall' floor to the SP.

Cheers!

P.S. Thanks, Larry! :cool:

I was hoping that this was some sort Larry (Page & Ellison?) effect, but alas, GOOG's SP didn't go down in lock-step with TSLA's rise. :(

• Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Mercedes to slash its iconic AMG models:

Report: Mercedes-AMG range could be cut by 75 percent in 2020

The paper says that several Mercedes dealerships expect a production cutback as dramatic as 75 percent in response to a need to bring down its CO2 average from 138g/km to 100g/km. AMG models would be the target of such a cutback effort, the Financial Times notes, due to the fact that their emissions are the highest of the models in Mercedes' lineup; drastically shrinking their availability could bring down the fleet CO2 average.

But the 90 g/km emissions limits only apply in Europe - no reason for Mercedes to cut back on U.S. sales.

Btw., it's not just loss of profits, but also loss of economies of scale.

That'd be one hell of an increase... Could the 2170 capacity go that high that fast? We've seen weight reduction lately - possibly less cells with higher capacity which may be the new 75KWH entry in that file as well. Denser pack architecture as well? Would enable more than 380 miles and 'Ludicrous'... so many posibilities ;-)
Yeah, except that a Model 3 with a 100 KWh pack that weighs the same as the old 75 KWh pack would have 432 miles range (33% more than the original rating of 325 miles).

Cheers!

BTW, anybody make anything from Musk's twitter reference to Technetium:
View attachment 490842

The WikiPedia entry (Technetium - Wikipedia) says: "It is a very rare example of a molecular metal oxide..."
and "When steel is immersed in water, adding a small concentration (55 ppm) of potassium pertechnetate(VII) to the water protects the steel from corrosion, even if the temperature is raised to 250 °C (523 K).[88] For this reason, pertechnetate has been used as an anodic corrosion inhibitor for steel, although technetium's radioactivity poses problems that limit this application to self-contained systems."

Maybe Tesla or SpaceX found a way around or an application where they can live with the radioactivity?
Bahaha, its a call-back to the 'perfect triangle' meme: 2*69 + 43 = 181

Cheers!

• Funny
Reactions: wipster and capster

First, $20 to $36.
Second, $190 to $270
Third, $270 to $370
Fourth, $370 to ???

Fourth, $370 to $520.

Enjoy the ride!

Check out this video: 特拉风T☰SLA mania on Twitter
The way Bethany McLean said those words was really disgusting to me

If I was the CNBC host when she said “I think it’s gonna be hard to KILL Tesla, flat out KILL it”, I would have said, "Is it hard because there aren't enough people trying or because the ones that are trying are just not effective enough?" :p

With January 1st being a holiday, does anyone think Tesla will still be able to get the production and delivery numbers released by Friday, Jan. 3rd?
Yes, they are able to. The previous P&D reports came out:
Jan 2, 2019 pre-market, Wednesday
Jan 3, 2018 post-market, Wednesday
Jan 3, 2017 post-market, Tuesday

But will they? Shrugg, may be reasons to give the markets a weekend to sit there and think about what they've done. Definitely messes with the psychology behind options.

Yes this is so awesome and it goes without saying this should boost Tesla sales in Canada. Tesla is really starting to fill in the coverage gaps lately - Iceland, Puerto Rico, Kazakhstan, pushing into Eastern Europe.. Building a bigger market almost daily.

Hungary also got 5 superchargers in a matter of weeks. I have no excuse anymore to postpone that roadtrip to go buy my favorite furmint wine.

But the 90 g/km emissions limits only apply in Europe - no reason for Mercedes to cut back on U.S. sales.

Btw., it's not just loss of profits, but also loss of economies of scale.
But that's just it, the loss of economies of scale means the US-market products are more expensive...

There may be some cases where it's not that hard for them - for instance, take the high-end-but-not-AMG engine from a SUV and put it in a C-Class or E-Class - but overall... (But looking at that article, they're going even further than that for efficiency reasons, so...)

Last edited: