Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I give you, exhibit A: The Aston Martin Cygnet...

View attachment 497567
I didn't say it was a complete non-issue outside of North America!

(To be fair, it also didn't help that the Cygnet was a rebadged Toyota, and that it was obviously a rebadged Toyota.)

I recently told someone that going to a gas station is a lot like the old days when we went to the "movie store" to rent DVDs. Why fuel at a gas station when you could fuel at home? I explained that charging stations were only needed for traveling. But, the more I think about it, the more I can envision a day when EVs have SO much range, that a stop to charge is something that very few people ever experience. And charging stations will be shutdown instead of opened.
I almost wonder if the Semi infrastructure would end up being what people use for charging on road trips for things like holidays, in that case (as the Semi's usage model is one that actually requires charging stations)...

I don't know if I'll see one in my lifetime.

Apple changed the world. It is arguable whether for the better.
Amazon changed the world. It is arguable whether for the better.
Facebook changed the world. It is arguable whether for the better.

Tesla is changing the world. It is without a doubt for the better.

I don't think most people understand what they're witnessing. Too busy checking social media and shopping on their iPhones. :rolleyes:
I respectfully disagree.
Apple did not change the world by developing the most popular a touch screen phone, not in the slightest.
Amazon did not change the world by becoming the low cost shipper of consumer goods, not in the slightest.
Facebook, really?

I do agree 100% with your last comment.
Tesla is changing the world. Is is without a doubt for the better.

I could easily live without my iPhone (go back to Blackberry or other), and I already live without Amazon (never used) and Facebook (never used). But I can't live without my Tesla, not knowing what I now know, not being able to live to the fullest.

*Sees SP.
**snickers
"I think your Tesla investment has topped out and I strongly advise you to sell now while you can still profit"

said my last "wealth management" investment advisor about 6 years ago...
as I was firing him & his company.
If he could pick stocks he wouldn't have a day job.

It dawned on me this morning that I paid a few hundred bucks to rent a Model X on Turo for a long weekend about two years ago, and it was only afterward that I truly gained the conviction to buy into the stock (which I did five months later). Renting that car might have been the best financial decision I ever made. :p

Live and learn, eh?
I was a little too cautious before Q3 deliveries and sold about 20%. Bought back in quickly despite the pop, super glad I did.

It dawned on me this morning that I paid a few hundred bucks to rent a Model X on Turo for a long weekend about two years ago, and it was only afterward that I truly gained the conviction to buy into the stock (which I did five months later). Renting that car might have been the best financial decision I ever made. :p

I made a similar post about my model 3. I was in TSLA in a small way before taking delivery, but had sold at a nice profit. The day after taking delivery I bought back in big time, and bought down all the way to about 200. My car may not be an appreciating asset yet, but it's certainly earned me a ton of money.

I was curious so I dove deep into the archives to see if I could find the record of my first TSLA trades.

The first call purchases that I could find were these:
5 Contracts 6/22/2013 expiration, $40 strike. Purchased 4/8/2013 for $3.30 / share.
5 more contracts of that same issue, purchased 4/11/2013 for $6.57 / share.
2 more contracts purchased 5/6/2013 for $22 / share.

View attachment 497644
wow, even better.

So he basically admitted to not doing his due diligence about giving financial advice to the nation prior to this "revelation".

Remember, kids: today's word is ANALYST! It's a person who claims to know about stocks and the markets, and they get paid for it, but all they can do is project based on false assumptions! Always use them as a contrarian indicator, and also pay attention if they bring up what their spouses mentioned about a stock! Because an analyst's spouse is more likely to be right!

"I think your Tesla investment has topped out and I strongly advise you to sell now while you can still profit"

said my last "wealth management" investment advisor about 6 years ago...
as I was firing him & his company.

After interviewing 10-20 years ago investment experts a few times I realized they have no clue and the smart ones admitted it even after I asked some pointed questions they could not answer.

I realized, gosh, looks like I have to do the work myself and am happy ever since.

Fun part is in my depot I am listed although only using stock since a while as a high risk investor on the level E where their scale ends. :D

How did they compare to options back in May-July 2019? I'm totally spoiled now as I've had quite a few $50 or so calls profit me 1k or more. Now I have to put real money up on future calls. :/

I was curious so I dove deep into the archives to see if I could find the record of my first TSLA trades.

The first call purchases that I could find were these:
5 Contracts 6/22/2013 expiration, $40 strike. Purchased 4/8/2013 for $3.30 / share.
5 Contracts January '14 $40 LEAPS purchased 4/11/2013 for $6.57 / share.
2 Contracts January '15 $40 LEAPS purchased for 5/6/2013 for $22 / share.

Screen Shot 2020-01-07 at 10.59.24 AM.png

I wound up holding all these contracts and exercising before expiration. Unfortunately had to sell those shares a while back. But it was awesome looking at that crazy low average cost basis when the stock was first trading in the 300s.

Last edited:
So in that circumstance, partially recharge overnight, then head toward a Supercharger station and eat breakfast at a nearby restaurant. :cool:

That works fine (particularly if you were going to eat breakfast anyway).

But nothing beats waking up to a beautiful new day and driving off into the glistening, fresh landscape in an EV with a fully charged battery! :)

Reactions: Cherry Wine