Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I give you, exhibit A: The Aston Martin Cygnet...

View attachment 497567

I always felt kind of stupid driving around in a Ford Hatch with an Aston Martin Grille.

Now, I'm just confused.

upload_2020-1-7_18-22-57.png

Thus, we have longs who see a string of positive developments coming in 2020 that should propel the stock price noticeably higher, and shorts who have been expecting the P&D Report to be a turnaround point from which they can see a decline begin and entice new shorts to jump in. Unfortunately for the shorts, the ER is likely just a few weeks away and we're likely to start seeing analyst upgrades plus buying from both longs and shorts who wish to prepare for a positive ER.

Spot on assessment, helps me hang on easier.

So this is what I just wrote to my wife, and what I tell my friends when asked.

"There's nothing new really with Tesla, all very predictable, it's the future. Here's what I think is happening.

Longs like me are holding because we have yet to hear how Q4 earning are the end of Jan. As the stock percolates with all the wins, new ppl are jumping onboard (new longs next door that just discovered Tesla). Add that the S&P 500 inclusion is likely later this year and this could be causing financial institutions to get in early while it's still cheap. Then there are the shorts and any weak ones are now extinct. We have no indication that the short squeeze has occurred yet (and they may never pull out, but that's just the icing if so). Snowballing!"​

Last edited:
Asking for enlightenment from our knowing long time investment elders-

Notwithstanding that one of us lost like $500,000 on call options (and then traded their way back up again), aren't the odds significantly against a long term Call expiring worthless with TSLA LEAPs? Wasn't @jhm mostly unlucky, and it was a gamble that will likely pay off most of the time with TSLA?

I really appreciate these discussions as I'm teaching myself the basics of options, learning by doing but wondering if I am actually drowning in the Dunning-Kruger effect and don't know it or something.
I do very little trading in options. Usually I lose money buying an option. So I don't recommend it. It was a momentary lapse of judgement when I bought it, and I got damn lucky in the last month.

The problem is that Tesla has enormous volatility and options have an expiration date. Just 6 months ago the price looked miserable below $200. Had this run been delayed by a month I would have lost it all. On the other hand stock has no expiration date, so a delay of several quarters for this run would have been tolerable. One can just ride out bearish sentiment with stock, if you have no pressing need for cash.

A lot of this comes down to one's trading temperament. Psychologically buy-and-hold suits me much better than trade-trade-trade. I'm not good knowing when to take a profit. I can appreciate that other people are wired differently than me. So alot of investing comes down to self-knowledge and knowing what works best for you.

All the best, jhm

Assuming the highest shirt is around 380 and 360 is the average. VW style Margin call happens around $420 for the stubborn one.

It is worthwhile to buy $500 options lottery ticket in case this hapoens. But I wouldn't put too much of your portfolio in it.

These call options have run up quite a bit.

Sold 1/4 and sold covered calls on 1/4 of them as well for $520 today cause I am boarding a plan and won't be able to check the market for 2 days.

• Informative
Reactions: abasile
Hi fellow TMC'ers! Is anyone following the short interest here? Really curious how we are doing and how much this latest price action is driven by short covering...

P.S: Really excited to be back on this forum after a 2 year break. About to wrap up my master's degree and $TSLA stock I invested in years ago will help a lot in repaying the new student debt!

I've started to track the short interest, but the problem is that that information is only released twice monthly and with a delay of a couple of weeks so it is always stale.

Filling that void is the mission of @ihors3's company where they get data "from the street" and put it into the formula to predict what the current short interest is. Unfortunately, (at least when it comes to $TSLA) its all smoke and mirrors. When the shorts are piling on with extreme prejudice (as we find out later from the official numbers) he claims they are covering and the price is dropping because of weak longs.

Now he claims that it is a short squeeze, but given that he's been 100% wrong on every significant price movement with $TSLA I expect short interest is either level or increasing and the rise is being fueled by positive sentiment. Interestingly, that positive sentiment is also reflected in media coverage (compare to a year or more ago, its way different now).

In short, short interest is opaque and is made deliberately so by rules structured to favor short selling. All you can really do is track historical short interest, investor sentiment and use common sense. It will do you better service than @ihors3.

I feel like @Papafox - when is the requirement to report on this continuous SP good news going to end?!?
  • Worth 3x more than Fiat-Chrysler (sorry Lee)
  • Worth $30B more than Daimler (Mercedes)
  • Worth $35B more than BMW
  • Worth 2x - no, 2¼ times - more than Ford
  • Only $4.8B less than VW (the second most valuable auto manufacturer in the world)
That's a lot of money invested. Clearly it's not just fanboys who believe Tesla will lead the auto industry through the 20's...

View attachment 497551

Wow. Only $3 B behind VW! When will Tesla become the world's second most valuable auto manufacturer??

I created a poll for your guesses here.

upload_2020-1-7_14-45-9.png

Last edited:
It's not clear what you mean when you say "Then I'd have to wait through Q1 results." What do you mean by "waiting"? In my experience, that's the best part of investing. You make money while "waiting". Or are you investing money you need for life expenses in the next few months? If so, that's a no-no in my book. Investing is not gambling (even if it has elements of gambling within it).

No, waiting doesn't make a penny for you. You make money when by selling the stock higher than you bought it. Just ask Uncle Sam, he'll tell you when you make money.

I'm going to guess you are not a wealthy person and will never become one unless you change the way you look at money. Fear of losing money is a powerful impediment to actually making money. Unless you're gambling with money you shouldn't be investing, you should probably slow down and look at the bigger picture. The much bigger picture.

Bigger, perhaps, but not useful also. What is important is to maximize profits. Buying a stock at a good price, missing a sell point and having to wait a year for it to rise again is a poor way to make money. I bought at several prices including on the way down (about what I thought might be bottom and I was about right). Now all my purchases are well up, as I said about 75% which is more like 80% now. I can capture profit now with larger tax payments or take the risk of the price dropping and waiting another quarter to be able to take advantage of long term capital gains tax rates. Even if Q4 and Q1 sales and profit numbers are good, unless they are great (which I think will be unlikely) the bubble can't continue.

So at that point I would be good with cashing out and waiting for the next bust.

The amount of your gain is only relevant in terms of tax implications. And, without knowing your tax situation, I will still venture to guess that your 75% gain is a net negative in terms of tax implications should you sell now. Corrections are normal. None of us know when they will happen. It's counter-productive to worry about normal corrections.

Don't know what you mean by "net negative". Profit is profit. Taxes only ever take a portion. The comparison is known profit and taxes today compared to unknown profit but lower taxes tomorrow.

Look at it this way. You're sport-fishing and hook a huge Blue Marlin. Your fishing line is probably too light for such a huge fish. But you really want to land it, it's the biggest fish you've ever hooked. So you set the drag of your real to an appropriate level for the light line. When the fish puts up a fight you let him run. Even if it's a hundred yards at a time. The fish is much bigger than you and your skinny little fishing line. If you don't want him to get away from you you have to let him run, even if it's the wrong direction. If you fight him, you risk breaking the line and then you will never land the big fish. But with patience, and a soft touch, you can eventually reel him in. You will simply never land a huge fish if you fight it. ;)

Strange analogy. Is it saying I need to sell now and collect my $150,000? Or hold onto it and see if I can turn it into $250,000? Is the fishing line options?? Are you saying it's time to short the stock??? :confused:

Sounds like "The Pearl". I know how that ended.

No, waiting doesn't make a penny for you. You make money when by selling the stock higher than you bought it. Just ask Uncle Sam, he'll tell you when you make money.

Bigger, perhaps, but not useful also. What is important is to maximize profits. Buying a stock at a good price, missing a sell point and having to wait a year for it to rise again is a poor way to make money. I bought at several prices including on the way down (about what I thought might be bottom and I was about right). Now all my purchases are well up, as I said about 75% which is more like 80% now. I can capture profit now with larger tax payments or take the risk of the price dropping and waiting another quarter to be able to take advantage of long term capital gains tax rates. Even if Q4 and Q1 sales and profit numbers are good, unless they are great (which I think will be unlikely) the bubble can't continue.

So at that point I would be good with cashing out and waiting for the next bust.

Don't know what you mean by "net negative". Profit is profit. Taxes only ever take a portion. The comparison is known profit and taxes today compared to unknown profit but lower taxes tomorrow.

Strange analogy. Is it saying I need to sell now and collect my $150,000? Or hold onto it and see if I can turn it into $250,000? Is the fishing line options?? Are you saying it's time to short the stock??? :confused:

Sounds like "The Pearl". I know how that ended.

How dare you question @StealthP3D ;)

Last edited: