Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep just heard on CNBC (right now 1:54pm PT) is about to air a sit-down with Maye Musk. Given the lateness of the hour I assume it's a quickie. Guess this is their nod to Tesla's price today. Yeah right. They are really pathetic in their coverage.

Hah and part of their brief closing bell moment is to reair comments from other family members. Promo for her book. Wish she would come out and ask why they don't cover Tesla's stock rise.

Oh and of course the one male announcer asked her if she taught Elon his dance moves....these guys are so pathetic. Can't even focus on business questions. And of course their "interview" with Maye is over.

Last edited:
Apologies to John Fogerty:

I see Tesla stock price a risin'
I think 500 is on the way
I hear shorts and cynics cryin'
I see bulls a runnin' today

Don't sell your stock tonight
'Cause the future's lookin' bright
Tesla stock is on the rise
Just yesterday I was commending this board for no poetry.

Lunch is cancelled for everyone.

Yep just heard on CNBC (right now 1:54pm PT) is about to air a sit-down with Maye Musk. Given the lateness of the hour I assume it's a quickie. Guess this is their nod to Tesla's price today. Yeah right. They are really pathetic in their coverage.

Hah and part of their brief closing bell moment is to reair comments from other family members. Promo for her book. Wish she would come out and ask why they don't cover Tesla's stock rise.
Hopefully retail investors that rely heavily on CNBC for their updates will be mad they missed out and move their eyeballs elsewhere.

Reactions: StealthP3D
Yeah I told you guys that ur all freaking bears ok. If you don’t believe $1,000 by next Friday then maybe $TSLA isn’t for you. This smells like bitcoin when it broke $3k in 2017. There will be a bubble, it will pop, but much higher than where we are. Elon asked Trump to have Plunge Protection Team to pump his stock in exchange for SpaceForce. Telling u guys
Should I have my head examined as I’m starting to consider it possible? I mean at this rate we’ll end up in a bidding war with @Krugerrand for the best private island....

Incentives are poor drivers of demand. More typically a person starts car shopping when the current car develops problems or the odometer reading becomes excessive. The US tax credit for Teslas during the 4th quarter was down to a minimal amount. I doubt that a lack of a tax credit will prevent anyone from buying a Tesla, if a Tesla is the top choice. Meanwhile, word-of-mouth can keep demand growing exponentially. :cool:
yup EV tax credit has been a distraction and source of FUD ... good riddance .... it would have been nice is Tesla was producing more vehicles during the credit phase out in US... oh well

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Like Apple, I don't think Sony necessarily will sell an actual car, but they are positioning to act as a supplier to other OEMs and could theoretically muscle their way into building an actual car if the OEMs don't bite. And again, like Apple, their core skillset of industrial and software design, along with their imaging and battery know-how, are more useful to the future of cars than anything ICE manufacturers can offer.

On the other hand, Apple hasn't succeeded yet (or even shown us anything) and they have a lot more money than Sony. And, Sony has definitely stumbled in the past.

Sony is not going to building an EV. :rolleyes: You are greatly underestimating what Tesla has accomplished in only 12 years. Any expertise Sony has is far, far, removed from what it takes to debut a successful EV.

Apple is not going to either.:rolleyes:

You cannot make this up:

BMW to stand by combustion engines for at least 30 more years: 'Most of the US does not need BEVs'

BMW’s head of Research and Development Klaus Froehlich:

"On the diesel side, production of the 1.5-liter, three-cylinder entry engine will end and the 400-hp, six-cylinder won’t be replaced because it is too expensive and too complicated to build with its four turbos. However, our four- and six-cylinder diesels will remain for at least another 20 years and our gasoline units for at least 30 years,” he said.

"Most of the U.S. does not need BEVs. We could offer high-performance plug-in hybrids in the M space, providing a lot of fun to the driver as well as ZEV credits for us. We see BEVs mainly in the west coast and parts of the east coast, while the rest of the U.S. will continue with conventional gasoline engines,” he said.​

No, this is not from the Onion. (I double checked.)

my TSLA stock gains allowed me to order an X a week ago, with expected delivery in 6-8 weeks this purchase will count as Q1'20
I have a strong feeling that I'm not alone who had this model in mind, many robinhood users expressed similar approach: "I'll use TSLA as piggy bank and hope gains will eventually pay for my Model3"

Tremendous rally from 200ish to almost 500 made this dream come true for many. If we see rapid decline in robinhood TSLA holders, you can bet anything that most of them just ordered their cars recently.
Plus, chinese buyers will buy (afaik already bought!) every MiC Tesla rolling out of GF3.

This is another way in which today is like 2013 - a whole lot of people turned a conviction about Tesla into an actual Tesla in the driveway back then too :)

You cannot make this up:

BMW to stand by combustion engines for at least 30 more years: 'Most of the US does not need BEVs'

"On the diesel side, production of the 1.5-liter, three-cylinder entry engine will end and the 400-hp, six-cylinder won’t be replaced because it is too expensive and too complicated to build with its four turbos. However, our four- and six-cylinder diesels will remain for at least another 20 years and our gasoline units for at least 30 years,” he said.​

No, this is not from the Onion.
source.gif

Shorts aren't getting a brake in the aftermarket so far either. Up 1.76.

edit, 2.86 to a clean 495. wow.

I assume you mean friction brakes? Because I can't imagine they would have adopted regenerative braking (yet).:D

See? When people have more money, in addition to intelligence, their spelling goes downhill also!

Note to all TSLA shareholders: It might be time to look into nootropics.o_O

• Funny
Reactions: Lessmog and humbaba
You cannot make this up:

"On the diesel side, production of the 1.5-liter, three-cylinder entry engine will end and the 400-hp, six-cylinder won’t be replaced because it is too expensive and too complicated to build with its four turbos. However, our four- and six-cylinder diesels will remain for at least another 20 years and our gasoline units for at least 30 years,” he said.

"Most of the U.S. does not need BEVs. We could offer high-performance plug-in hybrids in the M space, providing a lot of fun to the driver as well as [environmental] credits for us. We see BEVs mainly in the west coast and parts of the east coast, while the rest of the U.S. will continue with conventional gasoline engines,” he said.​

No, this is not from the Onion.
So, BMW thinks they'll still be in business in 20, much less 30, years? Seems doubtful.

For example over on
Near-future quarterly financial projections
there are estimates of 19Q4 results to the tune of 200M $,
which would mean that a relatively modest Q1 result is
needed to quality for S&P 500 inclusion after Q1 (given
that 19Q4 + Q1 result must reach ca. 266M $ - while Q1
itself must be positive as well).

Could the market be pricing in this possibility already now?

- just trying to wrap my head around the crazy run-up these past few days...

sounds mostly like namedropping to gin up interest. Could easily just be a guy bragging that they called up someone at Tesla and pitched the site to them. There's nothing in the article indicating Tesla's actually interested.

And not one mention of actually letting Tesla sell cars directly in the state.

Having said that, with two massive waves of buyers - retail from RH and chinese, Q1 numbers might completely ignore so-called seasonality and beat any expectations.

New buyers will not just be those who have appreciated TSLA shares.

There were a lot of Tesla owner wannabees that couldn't buy a Tesla because it might go bankrupt. With that impediment out of the way, there won't be a lack of demand for a long time to come.

Another group of new buyers are people who only want to be associated with a successful car company. They only buy the best. When Tesla was struggling, they didn't have the required cache to earn the customer's money.

Q1 Tesla will sell as many cars as they can produce.

"Most of the U.S. does not need BEVs. We could offer high-performance plug-in hybrids in the M space, providing a lot of fun to the driver as well as ZEV credits for us. We see BEVs mainly in the west coast and parts of the east coast, while the rest of the U.S. will continue with conventional gasoline engines,” he said.)​

You mean like where 80% of the people live. Kinda limits BMW's market because they'll likely have to exempt Dallas, Houston, and Chicago as well. So basically, they'll sell to a few farmers.