Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I toured the Fremont factory on 12/31/2019. All I can say under signed NDA is I would not hold your breath for 2/2020. Then again, I'm not a production line installation consultant so wtf do I know? If they can build an entire GF3 in China in record time, maybe they can bring up and test a Model Y robotic final assembly line in record time also?? Time (or another factory tour under NDA! :cool:) will tell...

This is not under NDA but educated guesses. Since the Model Y shares ~70% parts with the 3, then it seems they could have hand-assembled many test Model Y's and that is what we are seeing on the roads. My tour was abbreviated for New Year's Eve so the tram did not take us to see the huge stamping presses. My guess is they already have final or near-final molds for Model Y body panels and have stamped out enough of them to hand assemble the Model Y's they needed for testing.
A tour that did not show the presses? That is tantamount to visiting Liberty Island and not being shown the Statue of Liberty.

A plant in 10 states where sales are challenging. That could bring some clout.
I don’t think they would, there are other logistics involved, but who knows.
When I listened to Sandy Munro talking about the simplicity of the Cybertruck and the low capex cost to produce 50k units a year, the thought crossed my mind that maybe just scaling that production line may be more cost effective than going for the full 600k per year production line?

Maybe all the complex stuff for the Cybertruck (and its descendants….) could be made centrally and then transported to numerous 50k per year 'assembly' lines with no painting; pressing/stamping etc but just cutting, bending and assembly.

I'm TOMA here but is that feasible?

PS I remember quite a while ago reading an article where interviewed Audi (?!) engineers said they were 'terrified' of Tesla - even though it was tiny then (maybe just starting Model 3 production).

I doubt they are smug now!

Reactions: WarpedOne
Trump calls Elon Musk 'genius'

Trump said just now on CNBC that Tesla is building a big plant in America. There goes shorties theory of Trump hating on Elon for building GF3 in China

JOE KERNEN: Tesla’s now worth more than GM and Ford. Do you have comments on Elon Musk?

DONALD TRUMP: Well-- you have to give him credit. I spoke to him very recently, and he’s also doing the rockets. He likes rockets. And-- he does good at rockets too, by the way. I never saw where the engines come down with no wings, no anything, and they’re landing. I said I’ve never seen that before. And I was worried about him, because he’s one of our great geniuses, and we have to protect our genius. You know, we have to protect Thomas Edison and we have to protect all of these people that-- came up with originally the light bulb and-- the wheel and all of these things. And he’s one of our very smart people and we want to-- we want to cherish those people. That’s very important. But he’s done a very good job. Shocking how well-- you know, how it’s come so fast. I mean you go back a year and they were talking about the end of the company. And now all of a sudden they’re talking about these great things. He’s going to be building a very big plant in the United States. He has to, because we help him, so he has to help us.

JOE KERNEN: Tesla’s now worth more than GM and Ford. Do you have comments on Elon Musk?

DONALD TRUMP: Well-- you have to give him credit. I spoke to him very recently, and he’s also doing the rockets. He likes rockets. And-- he does good at rockets too, by the way. I never saw where the engines come down with no wings, no anything, and they’re landing. I said I’ve never seen that before. And I was worried about him, because he’s one of our great geniuses, and we have to protect our genius. You know, we have to protect Thomas Edison and we have to protect all of these people that-- came up with originally the light bulb and-- the wheel and all of these things. And he’s one of our very smart people and we want to-- we want to cherish those people. That’s very important. But he’s done a very good job. Shocking how well-- you know, how it’s come so fast. I mean you go back a year and they were talking about the end of the company. And now all of a sudden they’re talking about these great things. He’s going to be building a very big plant in the United States. He has to, because we help him, so he has to help us.
I read that in Trump's voice. My god... I love these times. :cool::D

Also he didn't answer the question. Instead talked about SpaceX?

Last edited:
A tour that did not show the presses? That is tantamount to visiting Liberty Island and not being shown the Statue of Liberty.

I've toured many times since I live in Fremont. The first was the October 2011 "Model S Ride Event" that one was very special. Red Kuka robots were installed but their programming was incomplete. Engineers gave us a walkaround tour since nothing was running back then. Riding in a Model S Beta car made me feel like either I'd just time-traveled 10 years into the future, or the car had time-travelled ten years back from 2021 to 2011!

On NYE 2019 I was just there as part of @TeslaOwnersSV club to help some new owners pair their cell phones, etc. The tours were being run to give customers, many of which had been there for 8+ hours many with their young children, something to do while waiting for their Model 3s to literally roll off the production line. Tesla wanted to do as many tours/hour as possible.

Russ

"Musk likes rockets. He's doing good with the rockets," he said in an interview with CNBC on Wednesday, and announced that Tesla will be building "a very big plant in the United States."

Is this the Terafactory that will help take tesla to 2TWh/year? Or the Cyberfactory? =)

In context might more likely be a SpaceX rocket factory. But who can really decode such word salads.

Here's the video with Trump talking about Elon:

1st Michigan, now POTUS. ATHs coming thick and fast. I think I'm beginning to see a pattern...

Cheers!

So, a comment Elon made during the interview that I thought was profound that is going unmentioned is at 29:50 in the interview Kristen asks if ultra capacitors are off the table in regards to EVs and Elon's response is "it's unnecessary." This comes during a conversation about Maxwell where he states that the dry electrode technology "is a much bigger deal than it may seem".

More great things ahead for Tesla battery technology I think.

Dan

Frankfurt has just opened and broken 500 Euro
- good morning.

And then some :D

Obviously it’s tracking Nasdaq pre-market.

upload_2020-1-22_12-49-41.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: M|S|W and deffu
Last edited:
While Nasdaq early trading opens at 4am, few investors have access to the platform so early and liquidity is usually poor.

7am and 8am ET are when early trading facilities of big U.S. brokerages open, the margin call and other early trades usually accelerate at those timestamps. (13:00 and 14:00 central European time.)

So the early trading volume distribution is usually:
  • 4am-7am: low volume
  • 7am-8am: moderate volume
  • 8am-9:30am: moderate to high volume
FWIIW, yesterday 7am-8am there was a weak bear attempt trying to push from $510 and getting to $507, only to be blown away by the 8am bullish price action.

(Or it might have been a clever and cheap head fake by a bullish fund, or a pessimistic investor. We'll never know. :D)

and on the stroke of 13:00CET:-

upload_2020-1-22_13-0-54.png