Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The one thing that would get me to sell some TSLA shares right now would be an opportunity to invest in SpaceX. I've investigated this possibility and I'm not finding any shares available for retail investors (even accredited investors). I'm already monitoring the SpaceX investor threads here on TMC. So, for now, I think we as Tesla investors need to be content with the knowledge that SpaceX and Tesla share technology to the benefit of all. SpaceX's success does spill over to Tesla, even if we can't invest directly.
If you have not invested in SpaceX, are there any practical/operational issues? I gather they have a private stock trading every quarter or at least annually to ensure the employees have a marketplace to sell their employee stock.

Max pain for Feb 07 may be $507.50 but...somebody is betting on $1k...

open interest 2020-02-07.png

Ugh if this is accurate I really do hope it's something that's going to happen like very soon, as in next month or so. Don't really want to see a repeat of 2018/2019 where we speculated all year and speculation turned into waiting. I'll admit I was as bad as everyone else with hyping up new hardware coming for the past year and a half. At this point, I'd just like to be surprised by a Tesla announcement of "Refresh is here....it's available now!"

• Funny
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
While I can appreciate the effort to integrate battery storage with an EV charger, it doesn't make any sense to have the batteries in the same box as the charger! Tesla's modular approach is far more practical, because:

1. A serious charging location will have multiple chargers, and having a central, shared bank of batteries allows for better utilization of the resource.
2. Economies of scale - the same battery product (PowerPack or MegaPack) that's used for other purposes can be deployed without modification.
3. Servicing - you don't have to take chargers offline to swap battery modules, etc.

A shame it is to see VW wasting engineering resources like this.

I think the reason why VW have the batteries in the charging stalls is that they don't expect to deploy many stalls in each location. And in many cases only one stall. While Tesla atleast have 4 stalls - or 44.

We see this in Norway. Other charging operators often put up only 1 stall. To be fair they have started to put up atleast 2-3 stalls in new locations now the last year or so. But many locations have traditionally been only 1 stall. And I guess Germany is a few years behind Norway in EV adoption. So they belive 1 stall per location is usually sufficient.

LG is from Lucky and Goldstar. If you ever saw early Goldstar products , they were ‘top notch’ when compared to Lucky Electronics. You were lucky if it worked at all. Of course now I prefer LG to Samsung.
That is actually not the way it happened. LG stands for Lucky Group. It was founded in 1947 and first made cosmetics. Goldstar was later established as their product lines expanded.
LG
I first knew them from the late 1970’s when they supplied chemicals to support operations of one of my customers at the time.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LG_Electronics

That is actually not the way it happened. LG stands for Lucky Group. It was founded in 1947 and first made cosmetics. Goldstar was later established as their product lines expanded.
LG
I first knew them from the late 1970’s when they supplied chemicals to support operations of one of my customers at the time.
Incorrect. LG is the merger of Lucky Electronics and Goldstar. The G is definitely for Goldstar.

• Informative
Reactions: Dutchie and Tim S
What is his tell? Is it the nervous laugh?

My tell detector is broken -- or perhaps was never good in the first place. Was never really good at poker because of it.

Yes, first the smile then the laugh. Note that nothing he ever says or is talking about is actually a funny topic.

Damn! I still got it.

Me too, in principle. The catch is however that to get a high charging rate, you need a large battery to not fry it while charging...

Yes, in brief, a larger battery gives you faster charging (in km/min).

Within a specific chemistry, yes. But if you care less about range and more about charging you can use a less energy dense chemistry with a higher C rate. 5-10 minute charge is possible today if you're ok with 150 mile range or so.

Yeah, funny. But maybe not all that far fetched after all?

OT:
LG
I first knew them from the late 1970’s when they supplied chemicals to support operations of one of my customers at the time.
i have a friend who sold software to Lucky Group a few years back. Boy you should hear what she thinks of them! Not good.

You misunderstand. The Shortzes will always try to push down the SP, even if it was $10.

What I'm saying is whenever they are able to push in down toward $555 (Elon's 1st tranche trigger point), those Shortzes will be consumed in a volley of flame buying unmatched in all hellfire and creation.

Because the Universe demands it. And Demand is not a problem.

Their ship of fools is piloted by flames of hatred for all things Elon. Their final voyage will be the pyre on which they burn, and are ultimately reduced to ashes.

tumblr_nfogxykzwr1r60arzo1_1280.jpg

So let it be written; so let it be done. :cool:

Cheers!

Dude, you owe me a new set of lungs. The laughing turned into hacking and they just landed with a plop on the bathroom floor, in front of the toilet. They tried coming out the other end first, but I clenched real hard.

Note to self: stop reading on the toilet.

THAT was seriously funny. I don’t think you’ll ever be able to top it, but go ahead and try.

Good, this time he is specific about what’s in there and these are all small components updates.

I still remember last year he was secretive about what he found and not really helped short term demand.
Well, maybe no interior refresh yet but new batteries are possibly a big deal. Not sure they are ready or in need to add more KWh (given poor state of ‘competition’) but a return of lower capacity with gains in manufacturing efficiency would be a boost in gross margin & bottom line while they ramp the Y...

Reactions: reardencode
Dude, you owe me a new set of lungs. The laughing turned into hacking and they just landed with a plop on the bathroom floor, in front of the toilet. They tried coming out the other end first, but I clenched real hard.

Note to self: stop reading on the toilet.

THAT was seriously funny. I don’t think you’ll ever be able to top it, but go ahead and try.
Now is the time to move on the islands. He's got no lungs. o_O