Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm getting nervous now about the virus; the macro hit to the market in general, plus directly at ones with operations in China such as TSLA, AAPL, etc. If this exponentially grows next week, too many will want to go into cash and a holding pattern...

1. It's not growing exponentially. They're finding about the same number of cases every day.

upload_2020-1-31_18-26-2.png

2. If it does grow out of control and can no longer be contained? Then it's just this year's flu.

Honestly, I expect virtually no impact outside of China. The main economic impacts I expect to be factory shutdown and travel restrictions within China from the government's policy to contain the disease.

The main concern about it was that - exposed to human selective factors for the first time - it might become unusually contageous or unusually deadly. But if it's "planning" to do so, it's certainly taking its sweet time.

This strength on face of ugly macro tells you something, Elon has stated in past ,Tesla is pretty leaky when comes to information, someone really knows about next generation battery.
I know many think that the CT will have current battery tech but I'm still highly suspicious that the specs/price don't assume a big improvement.

I don't think that's correct.

There was a video presentation from Andrej Karpathy where he showed how the features would be absorbed into the neural net. It very much appeared incremental (i.e. that once they could train and implement a new feature through the neural net they would release it). I wouldn't be expecting a step change result due to a "foundational rewrite".
I don't want to dig for quotes and admit that I didn't watch Karpathy video, just believe what Elon was implying for the new tech is much higher processing/decision making workload than before, including some additional categories of data being processed. So, maybe some neural nets can be ported, but it sounded like a lot of new stuff that changed from the state before, so prob. a lot of new training/testing.
I could be wrong.

I want my short sqeeze darnit! Seems like those guys are willing to lose money forever.
I guess what happens is people continuously cover - and they either short again or run away scared/bankrupt. But, a new set of shorts come onboard - basically we'll have a lot of shorts until nobody thinks the story is "incredible". Once people accept it as a success like Amazon or Apple, they will continue to short.

Because of that - we'll have volatility - and shorts will find some success and profits from time to time that keeps them going.

The $20K cost delta between the AWD Cybertruck with 300-mile range and the 3-motor Cybertruck with 500-mile range strongly implies that Tesla's battery cost will be around $100/kWh at the pack level in 2022 . . . There's something like a 80-100 kWh pack capacity difference between the two models to achieve those ranges.
It's a normal thing for a more expensive trim line to have higher profit margin.

I’ve never followed a stock as closely as Tesla in my life, but others here may have so for those of you with experience tracking other stocks, do they behave in the same manner as Tesla in regards to option expiry Friday’s being controlled by the price of the options? Seems like it’s gotten backwards in Tesla, where normally a bet on the natural movement of the stock price is now determining the stock price. Is option trading extraordinarily large in Tesla?

Here's more with her responses in that thread. Note that the top tweet is the latest, and the bottom tweet is the one that initiated the thread.

View attachment 506372

And this also leads to gaps that don’t necessarily have to ever be filled. So, don’t wait for $580.99 again...that ship may have sailed.

ARK Invest CEO Cathie Wood comments on Tesla.

Bloomberg - today:

if Tesla's costs continue to drop due to innovation, they will have vehicles that are cheaper to produce than ICE equivalent. Doesn't that mean margins will go up substantially since Tesla won't have to lower prices? They can sell it for the same price as an ICE equivalent. They could even get super aggressive and undercut them to drive market share. Why does Tesla's growth in automotive have to slow down even if there are some EV competitors?

(setting FSD aside due to unknown timeline)