Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anybody else having difficulty transferring shares out of fidelity. Decided to open second brokerage account when fidelity let me access my account without the two step verification that I started requiring months earlier. I was shocked but they admitted software error and didn’t seem concerned at all so I opened up Schwab account and fidelity is refusing to transfer my shares. I wonder if they were loaning them out even though they deny that. Amount in question—thousands of shares. Oh well next step arbitration for damages related to it
Fidelity is not immune from doing the worst thing possible to your porfolio at timings that are the least beneficial to you. They are (one of the many) Houses, and the House Always Wins is their motto, whether or not today they're living that swing. (I can bet a few Houses are a bit raw after the last week unless they happened to be in on the swing, but they've been through these things a lot.)

Basically, don't put yourself in a position where they can do that to you. I like keeping my shares in a number of brokerages and doing things with long term planning so those things don't affect me as much. My problems end up being more about me than about them as a result. But, back when I was at the edge of their graces, they could do that stuff to me too.

Edit: I like the informative answer about ACAT. Of course, that requires the processing times of ACAT to be within your planning timing metrics to work neutrally regarding your portfolios. Otherwise you're stuck with the fast and loose company until you have actual time to do longer (ACAT) procedures or are willing to not do anything to your holdings for a time (while being processed by ACAT). That means ACAT should fit nicely with long term planning.

Ooh, look at my shiny new TMC subscriber badge! Can we get physical replicas to put in our wallets and lapel pins to wear on our suits (er, I mean golf shirts at our new country
clubs;))?

Seriously though, thanks to the founders of this amazing club and its incredibly intelligent, funny and insightful members. In no small part it's due to you that (on paper) I'm a newly-minted "Teslanaire" after today's spectacular run up. Hopefully I can HODL and move from a scant peek at seven figures to a transformational eight figures in the next five years!

Speaking of members, what happened to all the "birds" who would occasionally alight here and furiously flap their wings? :cool:

Last edited:
Thanks mejojo, I've done something similar, like getting the house painted. But what I was interested in is people who have bought Teslas with their gains from TSLA. I'm pretty sure that applies to many posters here...

My son and a friend are both buying a Tesla with profits from TSLA.
Roadster sales are going to go through the roof, until we get a pullback anyway.

There must be significant buyers of shares today from huge institution in conjunction with some shorts covering. Vw shares popped 400% in like 3 days with half the short interest. Tesla would need to pop like 700-1000% in the next few days if this was a real squeeze. We are not even close.
Maybe some are starting to pay attention to Kathy Woods. She gave an interview on Bloomberg news yesterday pointng out how screwed the other auto companies are. Also how Tesla is at least 4 years ahead of other autopilot developers, based on their billions of miles of autopilot data.

Anybody else having difficulty transferring shares out of fidelity. Decided to open second brokerage account when fidelity let me access my account without the two step verification that I started requiring months earlier. I was shocked but they admitted software error and didn’t seem concerned at all so I opened up Schwab account and fidelity is refusing to transfer my shares. I wonder if they were loaning them out even though they deny that. Amount in question—thousands of shares. Oh well next step arbitration for damages related to it

It is generally a good idea to have several brokerages. It increases the insurance amount of both your cash and stocks and also decreases their leverage on you if they exercise any kind bullshit power to halt your withdrawal.

But they will all nervously call you and ask you why you are moving your stock in a "beat around the bush" kind of way.

Just like portfolio balance. It is important to spread the assets around to mitigate the risk of any one broker going under. It might be a pain to setup. And people might accuse you of being vain or delusion of grandeur. But the idea is to setup your financial infrastructure for the next level while it is growing in the current level. So that you don't get overwhelmed when you are suddenly pushed up to the next level.

I'd say the levels are roughly based on psychology:

1mil
15mil
50mil.

I do not see any signs of a top yet...matter of fact, I see(from charts...yeah yeah guessing game right?) a intermediate term blow off rally/top right around 1050.00...that will be a obvious short capitulation day(short term)....at that point I will unload 1/3rd of my long shares and my Jan 2022 calls and buy some protective puts...after a modest pullback, will buy back all my shares and long term calls again...last time I did this at 500.00 it turned out as a slight positive although it was admittedly hard to get back in...but this time the pullback will be more pronounced and last bit longer....jmho of course.

Once again most people should just hold and not try to trade, as this is tricky business.

The euphoria on this board is very very similar to the many cycles Ive witnessed and have been a part of in the past...this is the fun part...:).

Once the mundane analysts on CNBC stop referring to as just a TSLA car company(ie-valuation based on reg OEM car makers), that's when I will be worried.

I see TSLA as a Soft Bank type of company, like a incubator for the future...they will disrupt the auto sector, energy storage, AI integration, rise sharing/robotaxi's with FSD, battery/platform provider, etc.

Price is rising as people are finally starting to understand that not only is TSLA not going bankrupt, but they will be a profitable company...the real fun starts when they realize that when they buy TSLA they are buying 5 disruptive companies at once, like true incubator but without the dilution.

The KEY to getting to being a trillion dollar company is execution but more than anything, its about battery production and efficiency...this is THE KEY...dry battery needs to pan out for cost savings and efficiency and increased range...battery cost will continue to decrease by 15-20% per yr...if this doesn't happen TSLA will have some issues...they will have great cars to sell in every mkt space but they can't pull this off unless battery production increases exponentially...we gotta see a S shaped curve in battery production in order for TSLA SP to match it....designing great cars is the easy part, execution in battery production is the hard part....they need to integrate Hibar/Grohmann/Maxwell seamlessly within the next 1-2 years.

TSLA success and stock price to 2000-3000 is directly proportional to battery development and production execution!...this is the only we can get to 200B in revenues in 4 years...need to grow at 50% per year...I see 2000-3000 a share within 2-3 years...if execution is near perfect we can see 6000 a share by 4 years but this will be hard to achieve but doable.

Last edited:
Gene Munster's assessment is usually right.
Why Is TSLA Still Surging? | Loup Ventures

Nobody gets right 100% of the time. Those who gets 75% right, and generally follow good logic are in the top rank.

Edit: Gene is saying the market cap should hit $360B in a few years based on 20% revenue growth rate. But we know Tesla's revenue growth rate should be north of 50%, and margin will grow a lot too. His target probably will turn out to be conservative.
They didn't mention stationary storage, and FSD hardware and software...

Thanks mejojo, I've done something similar, like getting the house painted. But what I was interested in is people who have bought Teslas with their gains from TSLA. I'm pretty sure that applies to many posters here...

Yeah, I deleted it once I re-read it....along the same lines, I hope some people will add solar to their house with some profits. I did that back in '15 with Solar City with my "earnings" back then.

Won’t Schwab effectuate your transfer?

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Yeah, I deleted it once I re-read it....along the same lines, I hope some people will add solar to their house with some profits. I did that back in '15 with Solar City with my "earnings" back then.
Good on you mate! I would if I could, unfortunately too many trees and the roof isn't set right. My neighbor, who also happens to be a city councilman, went solar a couple of years ago and has never regretted it, cut his power bill by 3/4.

However where I live power is only 7.5 cents per kilowatt hour, so not as much as a driver as in your area. Still want to do though on the next house!

Reactions: capster
Oh now i get it this was supposed to be funny ... my bad

bad idea... if ARK invests bull case is correct ($15,000/share) by 2024
you could spend that $150K on 192 shares (today's close $780/share)
expected value in 2024 = $2.88 Million you really want Taycant?

I am sure you will be happy with a 4 year old Taycant with 160 miles of range left:D

not advice

Would never sell my stock to buy the Taycan. My interest rate is 3.49% on a 5 year loan. I will let my 1000+ shares ride till $4000+. More important, if I charge my Taycan at night like I do my Tesla’s, I always have a full tank of electricity in the morning. And, always waiting for the Roadster to come out...I have room.

Already are a two-Tesla family. However we are getting solar/PowerWall from Tesla in about another month. Happy to keep the money in the family. :)

Great insight and perspective on TSLA here; thank you all. Not much to add but a long-term bull. My first post:

TSLA on Musk Rocket, accelerating rapidly from a stalling speed of 176.99. Going through sonic boom today at 767 and on its way to escape velocity of 25,020 (mph). I will be happy with11,186 (escape velocity in m/s); 40270 (in km/h) will be out of this world... literally.

Yeah so guys, maybe I'm the only noob here who has never sold anything for a meaningful capital gain before (my usual strategy has always been buy-and-hold but these are exceptional circumstances), but I've been reading this post:

So you're rich. Now what? : teslainvestorsclub

And now I've heard of something called Estimated Taxes. Apparently in the US, I'm supposed to pay taxes as I go. If I manage to yeet my way into substantial and meaningful capital gains which I will be taxed for, I need to pay some estimated amount of the taxes I will owe (at least 90%) or I will face a penalty when I file my yearly taxes because I haven't been paying as I get gains. This is something new to me, who has only ever drawn a paycheck and had taxes automatically withheld from said paycheck.

If there is anyone else who is in the same situation I am in, well, now you know what I know. Good thing I happened across this post otherwise I would probably have gotten reamed by the IRS next April.

Happy to keep the money in the family
I was thinking about this the other day. Part of the the successful APPL story is their ability to suck people into the Apple universe of consumer offerings. Tesla is rapidly becoming the same kind of story:

PV
Battery
EV
Car insurance

That easily exceeds $500 a month. I don't know that the insurance or PV e.g. is a better 'deal' than other companies but I'm a lot happier seeing my money go to Tesla than any other company.

Last edited:

My understanding is that, to take advantage of tax deferrals via opportunity fund, one must:

- Either set up an opportunity fund and run it (downside: cost) or select an opportunity fund run by someone else (downside: loss of control);
- Transfer assets or realized capital gains into the opportunity fund;
- Invest at least 90% of fund assets into opportunity zones (lower income areas).

Real estate investment in low income areas is unlikely to generate returns that can compete with stock market returns.

• Informative
Reactions: capster