Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sold all in a Roth IRA today, @ $906. Wealth manager been pushing sale since $500. (Cost basis $29 and a smidge.) I'm about to tell the manager to lay off trying to sell for rebalancing because I might want to buy it back at $700 which I don't expect will happen.

Thanks folks, for the Baron interview. His approach to investing in companies is what I've been trying to do since 2000 following what I understood to be Buffet's approach. There are a few differences, aside from the funds available for investment. (From my pensions in the day only had $2,000/month to invest.) In contrast to Buffet I understand technology, at least from a basic m.e. level. Baron, on the other hand, has direct super access to the company plus investor wisdom.

So your selling, while Baron is advising of future 4- and 5-figure valuations?

And your "Wealth Manager" (who has a job, and is likely not wealthy) has been pushing you to sell, so you sold?

Ah, okay then.

I'd posit that following Baron's commentary would have been far, far more prudent . . . time will tell.

Right now it's demand and supply driving actions. People are buying Call options because we are going to join index.

Thanks for the response, I understand and agree.
However, you say, 'People are buying Call options because we are going to join index.'
I have been following that discussion, but only to a degree, I'll have to look into it more. You put it as if it is a done deal... is that what you think, or more that it is a very strong probability?

My EKG
1021D427-D8F3-4A1B-A366-A17E19BD6865.jpeg

Saudi Arabia fund dumped nearly all of its Tesla shares before the surge — CNBC

Saudi Arabia fund dumped nearly all of its Tesla shares in the fourth quarter before the rally

Missed out big time on current gains this year

The Saudi Arabia Public Investment Fund now holds just about 39,000 shares of the stock after selling 99.5% of its holding.

The fund held more than 8.2 million shares by the end of the third quarter of 2019, which would have been worth more than $7 billion at Tuesday's price.

Before the latest sale, the sovereign wealth fund had dramatically cut its net exposure to Tesla stock in early 2019 after CEO Elon Musk settled fraud charges with the SEC over the claim to take his company private.
https://apple.news/AovQIhOiMR_CEYoViUrdVjQ

Float is only 142 million shares.
@Fact Checking do you have any insights on how many shares are actually traded today counting one share only once if traded multiple times? I know this data is not available but I would like to have some kind of indication how much the actual liquid float is (my share are part of the 142m float but not available to trade on days like today). How much of this 60m share is just HF algos trading a couple of shared with themselves?

The fee rate at IB for shorting is the higher than it was before earnings. There is a good chance this means there are more shorts in at this higher price. And the volume is over 60 million now. Insane. You can’t have a VW style short squeeze of the shorts haven’t covered.

yep wether or not a squeeze actually happens idk, but up until now price action hasn't been due to shorts covering. that much seems to be clear based on available date

So your selling, while Baron is advising of future 4- and 5-figure valuations?

And your "Wealth Manager" (who has a job, and is likely not wealthy) has been pushing you to sell, so you sold?

Ah, okay then.

I'd posit that following Baron's commentary would have been far, far more prudent . . . time will tell.

Everyone has their own price targets, depending on age and goals. No need to be judgmental. And I believe the moral of this story was that the advice by the wealth manager to sell when SP was half what it is now was wisely ignored.