Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a long term believer in Tesla and would very much like to simply buy and hold for years, but I also recognize that Tesla is an exceptionally volatile stock due to a lot of extrinsic factors including politics, short selling, exuberance etc. That's going to make it a much wilder ride - up and down - that it would be if the stock price was a calm, rational judgement of the companies execution.

That added volatility gives investors a few options, you can:
1) Buy and hold, knowing it's going to be a wild ride
2) Buy and hold while lowering risk with options, but those options have costs that drag on performance; or,
3) Aspire to buy and hold but adjust your position size when the stock price seems to be irrationally low (buying opportunities) or irrationally high (selling opportunities).

The first approach is great if you have the stomach and patience to see it through. The later approach can be called timing the market and is often dismissed, but yet I think here on TMC we do have a good idea of when the stock price is getting irrational. There were times in 2016 and early 2019 when the overall market sentiment was obviously much too negative, and we knew it. I think these past few weeks the stock has gotten too exuberant as identify-able by the same tools (e.g. media coverage swinging from "bankrupt" to "$5000 share"). $500 or $600 after some good ER's and years of price suppression by FUD was a reasonable move, but a 50% higher jump to $950 on little further news is getting carried away.

I think this forum does a pretty good job of identifying dips as buying opportunities and folks doing so are generally applauded for doing so, but I think we do a less good job of identifying spikes as selling opportunities. That's to be expected since this is a very pro-TSLA forum. TSLAQ on twitter would be the opposite - they don't realize when the stock is irrationally low since they think it's going to zero, but they can call it out when it's ridiculously high (but you need discretion here because they always think it's too high just like we always think it's too low).

Looking at the recent action, $950 may be lower than the price we expect in a few years, but it's still higher than what the generally accepted price is likely to be in the short-medium term (I think). Thus, while you can ride that out, there is money to be made by selling when the price is irrationally high, just like there is money to be made buying when the price is irrationally low. The challenge is using good discretion and staying calm so you aren't backing the truck up on every small dip nor clearing out on every modest spike. Only act when you're thinking "this move is getting ridiculous".

I starting buying TSLA in 2014 and then backed the truck up in late 2016 when the share price seemed irrationally low at below $200. The company seemed to be doing well, and yet the stock had again dove to sub $200 when I thought fair value was around $300.

Today I think the shares are worth $500 - $600. As such, over the recent run I sold 1/5th of my shares at each of $420 and $550 because the share price had returned to about where I valued the company, and thus my "irrationally low" shares I had overloaded on could be sold for a fair value. I would have happily held my remaining 3/5ths indefinitely, but the continued recent run seemed to be getting irrationally exuberant. $650 seemed high, $750 was getting crazy, and when I woke up yesterday and saw $900 I thought it was out of hand. Thus I sold a further 1/5th portion at each of those points, which cleared out my position yesterday.

I very much wanted to relax and hold, but I couldn't justify doing so through what seemed like a period of exuberance. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see a lot of positive catalysts until the second half of 2020. Thus, for now I am out but I'll be looking to get back in when the stock returns to what I assess as the fair present value of $500 - $600. I'll probably start buying at $600 and add in increments if we dip lower from there. If the stock doesn't hit those prices in the next few months but stabilizes higher then I may re-enter at those higher prices in the mid-year.

Last edited:
Talking about this, Ron Baron said in 2018 Tesla asked him to set up a vehicle so retail investors can stay in Tesla after going private. He declined.

That's not what I heard him say.

He said he was not in favor of Tesla being taken private but, if it were, he wanted to participate and was willing to create/run the financial vehicle by which other small shareholders could also participate.

You need to consider the risk that your portfolio transfer can take much longer than anticipated and that during such time you may be unable to trade. From I started the process of opening my new account (with Interactive Brokers) and until I had my portfolio transferred (until which point I could not really trade), 30 days went by. Since you seem to be flush with cash now, it should be much faster, but you should still take care not to get left behind when the SP takes off again.

Btw, from yesterday's intraday peak, I am down 240k€ (on paper), so that's a new thing to experience. I did buy a single call option, betting that the SP will recover in the coming weeks, just to get something out of the trading day...

I’m already in the process of opening the account (with BinckBank, h/t to @PaulusdB) and they said it will take just 3 days. I will not be transferring stock, just funds. So early next week I should be good to go.

I’ve started checking out the option prices. I hadn’t done that for a very long time. I used to day trade full time, writing strangles and straddles, covered by futures. But that was 15 years ago, when you still had to call the bank to open or close a position (and hope they would not be on lunch break). Then I joined my brother’s company and left the stock market, until TSLA crossed my road.

If you really want SpaceX, this market sometimes has SpaceX, usually about once a year or so.
Forge
It does take careful consideration to invest through them. I have dealt with them, but always read all the fine print. I do not know whether there are geographical restrictions.

I actually own GOOG (Alphabet) which owns 8.8% of SpaceX restricted stock.

What is a good way to figure out when IV is back to stable levels? Or is there?

Yes, you can see it on historic implied volatility and realized volatility charts.

For options just look at the current market IV (every options platform should display greeks), baseline for TSLA is around 45%, although with the recent runup it's probably going to stay elevated for some time.

Fortunately or unfortunately, I'm now locked into holding that position for 60 days due to my company's personal trading requirements.

Are you straight "locked into holding," or are you (like me) obligated to "disgorge profits from closing a position under 60 days" to charity?
Fortunately or unfortunately, it prevents me from day trading, week trading or even Month Trading... protecting me from my own damn self a lot of the time. It has a definite calming effect as I hold and hold.

...It strikes me, that disgorging a too-quick profit to charity wouldn't be the worst thing. Especially since shorts would be paying it.

Are you straight "locked into holding," or are you (like me) obligated to "disgorge profits from closing a position under 60 days" to charity?
Fortunately or unfortunately, it prevents me from day trading, week trading or even Month Trading... protecting me from my own damn self a lot of the time. It has a definite calming effect as I hold and hold.

...It strikes me, that disgorging a too-quick profit to charity wouldn't be the worst thing. Especially since shorts would be paying it.
I'd be technically violating our Code, would receive a warning and would be forced to disgorge. Being that I'm the CCO for one of our affiliated advisers, it probably wouldn't resonate well if a compliance person is violating a key compliance policy.