Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I mean it'd be weird if MM is buying right now only to try to get it down to 750 later or tomorrow. It'd also be weird if longs are buying at this level instead of licking our wounds. Am I thinking this right?
Not if you believe in, and are in for, the long haul. If you believe the stock will be well over 4 digits by the time you would consider selling then 750 isn't much different from 650...or 850 for that matter.

Dan

Reactions: RabidYak and rsm287
Just a quick reminder/data point to people who are tempted to try to time this thing (myself included). Today is a perfect example. If you had sold at open you would be down 92 dollars a share from the current high of 787. That's bad enough, but IMO the real danger is then sitting and waiting for that 650 price again, which although possible, or even likely, is not guaranteed. Many folks were waiting for 350, or 420 to happen again before our big run up. (obviously it could go down again today but the point stands)

I read on this thread several times, that gaps in the stock graph tend to get filled later on -- although I do not know whether there is any actual market mechanism behind this or its just a chartist superstition.

Anyhow, when the Q4 ER released after-hours, the stock jumped from ~578 to ~640 and has been trading above that ever since. So if there is truth in the gap filling, we ought to get back down there and fill that gap. I guess shorty air force will help with that tomorrow when the uptick rule is lifted.
Great, I’m loading up the truck waiting for that gap between $60 and $70 left in 2013 to be filled then.

Screenshot_20200206-112732~2.png

o_O

Gaps don’t always fill. There was a big gap in 2013 that never filled, and the gap post Q3’19 earnings will probably never fill either. It’s less likely that Q4’19 doesn’t fill right now, but it’s definitely possible.

If you look current market volatility and headwinds due to CR-virus, I would guess that the probability of TSLA filling the gap of around 660-650 range is higher than not.
What does others think about this?

• Disagree
Reactions: lklundin and Tim S
I mean it'd be weird if MM is buying right now only to try to get it down to 750 later or tomorrow. It'd also be weird if longs are buying at this level instead of licking our wounds. Am I thinking this right?
MMs LET the SP move. If it moves too far away from their favor, then they move in to tip the scales. That's what happened on Tuesday at 3:47 pm when 3.8M shares were dumping in 10 min, dropping the SP by 10%.

Nobody else has the knowledge of the Order Book to estimate how many shares it would take to move the SP that precisely. Nobody else has NASDAQ permission to poof that many shares into existance without first locating them. That's called the "Maddoff Rule" or the Market Maker's exemption to the naked short selling prohibition.

It will fall apart catastrophically one day, because they have Trillion$ to lose now, much more at risk than in 2007/08. But in the mean time, Dog (MMs) wags the Tail (TSLA).

Right. It think shorts are implementing more of scorched earth sort of strategy. They are attempting to sell high and cover low. That does not appear to be their game. Rather they are trying to destroy the floor. The sell low and try to bust the Overton windows down to zero. There is no rational price at which they will cover. The objective is to destroy Tesla, not to turn a quick trading profit. They are attempting to normalize the unthinkable.
While I agree with you I can't help but think that Andrew Left may have gotten ~20% to ~25% profit (depending on timing) off of triggering this fall. He probably bought shares when he closed his initial short -- and if not then presumably when it was ~$200. Selling those as part of his new short would have given more ammunition to help drive the price down while taking a profit. I do not believe he is in the "hate Tesla" camp, I think he simply lacks any morals or ethics and saw an opportunity he was able to capitalize on.

Of course, I could be wrong and maybe he hasn't covered thinking that the stock could be manipulated lower (and there is always Friday where the uptick rule won't be in effect).

But I do think there are those who successfully manipulate the stock to profit off of short trading.

Please stop the nonsense! M3Rider claimed the post in the Teslarati article hinted at the GF3 being closed for Q2 or Q3. Even the poorly formatted and translated quote from Grace did not hint at that. He did not correctly represent the Teslarati article even though he continued to insist he did after his error was pointed out.

There is not much grey area here so it's really highlighting those who stand on the side of FUD and misinformation!

Well, i followed the link and it indeed did say (incorrectly) q2 or q3. Maybe they fixed it?

Statistically, they will fail more often than they succeed. A random investor is not as "well armed" in this battle as funds with bots.

The irony here is interesting.

Trying to buy a company like TSLA for their lead in AI while competing (without AI) against large well-capitalized funds using AI to beat you.;)