Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got yours?

15811066244386592849830619161806.jpg

That's good, thanks for your honesty. For me, it's 22 mths now since I established my core postion in TSLA. My last buy was 50 @ $341 and I have a $284 cost basis. Indeed, I starting with about 3% of my net worth in TSLA, and now its grown to about 9%. Even so, I made 3x more on real estate during that time than I did on TSLA, and I spent exactly 6 days working on it. :rolleyes:

But I'm also not against dabbling in some day trading to increase my share count while punishing the Shortzes when they push stupid *sugar* like after the Joe Rogan podcast. Trading gains go into more TSLA shares; its about +10% so really peanuts, but its some fun. Sometimes it works out, sometimes not. About 2:1 +/- I'd guess.

But as I've said, I'm really not here for the 20 dollar swings, or even the $200 swings (held strong from $380 thru $178 and now from $968 to $687). A few more bucks will not change my life. But a 10- or 20- bagger might. ;)

No, instead I choose to spend time here every day, for these 3 reasons:
  1. to support Elon's goal of making the future a place worth visiting,
  2. to fight Big Carbon/climate deniers/disinformation against EVs/renewables
  3. to hold my shares for 10+ years to add to my legacy for the next generation
My idea's are pretty simple. So here are some more profound thoughts from Elon Musk:
  1. When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
  2. If you get up in the morning and think the future is going to be better, it is a bright day. Otherwise, it's not.
  3. There have to be reasons that you get up in the morning and you want to live. Why do you want to live? What's the point? What inspires you? What do you love about the future? If the future does not include being out there among the stars and being a multi-planet species, I find that incredibly depressing.
  4. When Henry Ford made cheap, reliable cars, people said, 'Nah, what's wrong with a horse?' That was a huge bet he made, and it worked.
  5. Persistence is very important. You should not give up unless you are forced to give up.
  6. It's OK to have your eggs in one basket as long as you control what happens to that basket.
  7. If you go back a few hundred years, what we take for granted today would seem like magic-being able to talk to people over long distances, to transmit images, flying, accessing vast amounts of data like an oracle. These are all things that would have been considered magic a few hundred years ago.
  8. We're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work.
  9. The first step is to establish that something is possible; then probability will occur.
  10. I think it is possible for ordinary people to choose to be extraordinary.
  11. I could either watch it happen or be a part of it.
Yeah, that pretty much sums it up for me. Now, Let's Roll!

Cheers!
As @StealthP3D points out, it’s helpful to change one’s relationship with money. Thinking beyond oneself, as in what you are saying, is a way to do so.

I know that thinking about the good and the importance of the work being done by Tesla helped me endure the ride down to ~177. It also makes me feel like I have a responsibility as a shareholder to contribute to the stability of the shares in the hope this helps protect Tesla and makes new shareholders comfortable buying and holding.

A little altruism from a lot of people directed effectively will change the world.

So cute that they tried to push the stock price down from 750. After this week I am a firm believer of max pain. I mean what kind of precision of manipulation one can have to push and pull a stock to exactly max pain despite + and - 20% volatility all week? That's like a drone strike on a moving vehicle kind of precision.

I’ve been looking in off and on this morning at the SP and knowing the shorts uptick rule expired wasn’t surprised to see any upward movement knocked back down. Pretty concerted effort to keep below 750.

Reactions: Eugene Ash
A mod chickening out, now that’s a story. I saw some people have been referring to my decision to liquidate my whole TSLA position after the SP came crashing down from 960. Why that happened? Lately I had been too much focussed on the effect of the stock movements on the financial value of my portfolio, which at the top was up 720k, and a few trading hours later was up 520k. After having ridden the SP down from 300 to 178 in the spring of 2019 I thought I had balls of steel. But my stomach was the problem. It churned. So I bailed.

At first that felt good, the uncertainty was gone. But that didn’t last long. In fact, just a few hours.

I am a true believer in a bright future for Tesla. It will be the #1 technology brand in the world. And likely the most valuable company in the world. I believe the stock value will go up at least 10x and maybe even 20x. But in the heat of the moment I lost sight of all of that.

It felt as if I had betrayed Elon, who several times went through hell to save Tesla. And as if I had betrayed all the steadfast longs here, a lot of whom I’ve started to appreciate over the last years. I visited this thread yesterday, but felt like an outsider. I saw you guys complain and cheer, but couldn’t join you.

I started to watch some videos. Cathy Wood. Ron Baron. David Lee. The ones by David were especially helpful. I started to realize that I had to focus less on the swings and look more at the long trend and focus on the long term goal I’ve set for myself. And if it drops 100-200 points, that doesn’t make much difference because we know it will be 10-bagger or 20-bagger. I got my confidence back. Huge shout out to @DaveT.

So today I decided to get back in. All in. No timing, because in the end it doesn’t really matter if you get in at 735 or 765. Or even 550, 650 or 850. I ended up buying at 745, which does lower the base price for my shares by 15 points to 225 (but that’s no reason to do this again!).

It feels incredibly good to be back in! And even if it goes down, maybe even by a lot, I’ll hang in there. With all of you. Because I know what the goal is and I know we will get there. There will be a lot of dips along the way, but that’s okay.

So I hope you guys will take back the lost son... :oops:
As long as you change your name to Rightish_Said_Fred

Has it dawned on everyone that Elon is cornering the brains market?

Silicon Valley
Shanghai
Berlin
Austin
I’d place bets on
Giga Raleigh-Durham - In addition to Research Park, it’s perfectly geographically located for East Coast
I did post-doctoral work in RTP. Very high density of PhDs in RDU.

Last edited:
Has it dawned on everyone that Elon is cornering the brains market?

Silicon Valley
Shanghai
Berlin
Austin
I’d place bets on
Giga Raleigh-Durham - In addition to Research Park, it’s perfectly geographically located for East Coast
I do not think we will see any more of Reno and Buffalo type Giga locations where availability of qualified labor is limited.

In another thread, a closer look at the test data available so far appears to say that the Model 3 EPA sticker is 0.7 * the average of the city and highway test cycles whereas the Model Y is based on 5 different tests weighted according to the EPA prescription.

The 5 cycle test is probably closer to 'real world' for most people who live in 4 season climates but it does mean that the EPA results for the two cars should not be directly compared. For direct comparisons to try and tease out Tesla engineering advances we have to wait for the FTP, US06 and dyno coefficient raw data for the Model Y

FWIW, the following cycles have been used on MY2020 Tesla cars tested to date per the 2020 data file:

2-cycle: Model 3 SR, MR, LR RWD
5-cycle: Model 3 SR+, LR AWD, P18, P19, P20, Model Y P19, Model S (all), Model X (all)

So comparing the 3 P18 and Y P19 numbers is comparing apples to apples. It would still be interesting to see the individual cycle data, as I'm expecting FTP-75, HWFET, SC03, and US06 to be worse for Model Y, but Cold FTP to be much better.

A mod chickening out, now that’s a story. I saw some people have been referring to my decision to liquidate my whole TSLA position after the SP came crashing down from 960. Why that happened? Lately I had been too much focussed on the effect of the stock movements on the financial value of my portfolio, which at the top was up 720k, and a few trading hours later was up 520k. After having ridden the SP down from 300 to 178 in the spring of 2019 I thought I had balls of steel. But my stomach was the problem. It churned. So I bailed.

At first that felt good, the uncertainty was gone. But that didn’t last long. In fact, just a few hours.

I am a true believer in a bright future for Tesla. It will be the #1 technology brand in the world. And likely the most valuable company in the world. I believe the stock value will go up at least 10x and maybe even 20x. But in the heat of the moment I lost sight of all of that.

It felt as if I had betrayed Elon, who several times went through hell to save Tesla. And as if I had betrayed all the steadfast longs here, a lot of whom I’ve started to appreciate over the last years. I visited this thread yesterday, but felt like an outsider. I saw you guys complain and cheer, but couldn’t join you.

I started to watch some videos. Cathy Wood. Ron Baron. David Lee. The ones by David were especially helpful. I started to realize that I had to focus less on the swings and look more at the long trend and focus on the long term goal I’ve set for myself. And if it drops 100-200 points, that doesn’t make much difference because we know it will be 10-bagger or 20-bagger. I got my confidence back. Huge shout out to @DaveT.

So today I decided to get back in. All in. No timing, because in the end it doesn’t really matter if you get in at 735 or 765. Or even 550, 650 or 850. I ended up buying at 745, which does lower the base price for my shares by 15 points to 225 (but that’s no reason to do this again!).

It feels incredibly good to be back in! And even if it goes down, maybe even by a lot, I’ll hang in there. With all of you. Because I know what the goal is and I know we will get there. There will be a lot of dips along the way, but that’s okay.

So I hope you guys will take back the lost son... :oops:

The worst feeling in the world is to be an uber bull, selling out your position, hoping for the dip, and then the dip doesn't happen as you wished. It's 10x worst than just see money disappearing from your account as the stock drops like a rock.

I remember selling my position out of AMD waiting for a dip just to see the stock doubled in 2 months had me not wanting to eat. However AMD has dipped so many time when I held and felt perfectly fine bag holding. The reason is I think because you spend hours of your life studying a particular stock that you see can 10x over the next 3-5 years and fully content bag holding because you're so sure you're right. But the minute the stock breaks out without you onboard due to fear/greed for that split second..man that's a devastating feeling. Almost feels like you sold your child.

So the person who probably feels the WORST is Neroden. Especially if service for him pulled through and he realized he was so hung on to something that can be fixed with time.