Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is acceptable in this thread to solicit practical advice on how to short sell certain auto makers?

Let's say for example that I wanted to increase my number of TSLA shares by 20% (maybe by exercising some ITM call options), but I have little cash to spend.
So instead I short sell a car maker that I think has really poor mid- and long term prospects and buy TSLA for the proceeds. How would the borrow rate compare to just buying on margin?

Many unorthodox, yet interesting questions. If these are deemed OT, I guess can always pose as a TSLA short seller on Twitter, there must be an enormous body of short-selling knowledge over there.

My impression of the traditional global energy/transportation sector as a multi-decade observer is that it is so gargantuan and intertwined that it distorts the ‘laws’ of economics. I wouldn’t touch it long or short with the proverbial barge pole because I expect it to come apart in an unpredictable way especially given the large number of thumbs that will continue to be applied to the many pertinent scales.

For example, governments will be getting more involved. This will mostly be to little effect, but will mess with the time component of your trade. I’m very interested in and am trying to forecast other opportunities of the transformation and especially new innovations including the timing. However, I’d be very wary of being locked into precise timing — even more so when I know there is likely to be active interference.

The attention and energy required to be successful shorting the traditional players would be better spent on looking for growth opportunities resulting from the transformation, in my view.

This is not to say I would never make a move to capitalize on the death throes of the oil fired economy if I felt I had a true insight. It’s just that it is not something I am hunting for and I would certainly watch my a$$ with such a move.

Okay, go easy on the design - he is (or was) a hero of mine:

Gordon Murray reveals new Motiv as autonomous urban solution | Autocar

Okay, let's agree to compromise - ahead of his time!

61w194q9AoL._AC_SX425_.jpg

Honestly, that aspect did cross my mind ;)

The other possibility is to do wait for Cybertruck - assuming I have the cash at that point in time (looking great right now!) - and then add that to have it for a high-clearance vehicle.
A Cybertruck would allow you to easily move a lot of trees, posts, wire, and your storage trailer to each of the days work sites.

I guess the true test would be if you could program your Cybertruck to chase the "Spawn of Satan" off of your property while you were otherwise occupied with your reforestation project? :D

So, I met with a tax advisor today. He recommended starting a private company and doing my stock trading within it, so that it can be done pretax. I think I'm going to take him up on the idea.

What do you think about the name "Grunnsamlegt Skúffufyrirtæki ehf" ("Suspicious Shell Corporation Inc.")? ;)
9B2081F4-187C-4EB0-9417-C457C58946D3.gif

So, I met with a tax advisor today. He recommended starting a private company and doing my stock trading within it, so that it can be done pretax. I think I'm going to take him up on the idea.

What do you think about the name "Grunnsamlegt Skúffufyrirtæki ehf" ("Suspicious Shell Corporation Inc.")? ;)
How to transfer my existing shares that is in my personal account?

How to transfer my existing shares that is in my personal account?

I was advised that whenever do I anything that incurs a tax hit regardless in my private account - such as rolling spreads - reinvestment should subsequently be done in the private company. So for example, I'd sell the lower spread from my private account, then buy the newer, higher spread through the company.

Nikola Reveals Badger Electric Pickup Truck With 600-Mile Range

If they can build an EV truck with 300 miles of EV range AND have room/pricing left over to allow a hydrogen fuel cell, why would they bother with hydrogen? Just double up the battery. I don't get it.

But this part should make a lot of people happy:

Advanced Supercapacitor Launch Assist that blends with lithium ion and fuel-cell.

They have added Supercaps to allow quick launches because they can't pull enough power from the battery and fuel-cell combined? :eek:

Today's trading, although the numbers are all bigger, looks a lot like many typical old trading days for Tesla. None of the completely wild swings, nothing over 5% except for the early hour or so. I am very happy with a few percent rise every day for the next few months.
Agreed... while it may feel nice, unless there is a major driving it, gains of over 10% on a daily basis seems to be some kind of setup, like the week before last. What goes up quickly apparently can be manipulated to go down just as quickly, making the manipulators a load of cash. A steady 3 to 4% daily gain on a consistent basis feels much better to me.

Wouldn’t that be something? Just like studying a bit to pass a drivers license test, it would be interesting to have an investor accreditation test. You’d have to show basic knowledge of options, balance sheet, income statement, capital structure. Lord knows a little knowledge in this area wouldn’t hurt.

Those exist! Kind of.
Where I work, even lowly IT desktop guys have to take the Series 6, Series 7 or equivalent and not flunk too miserably. Just so everyone knows reasonably the business.
For the full-on license, you apparently now have to be sponsored by a firm. Don't know, it was a while back for mine. (I enjoyed cramming for it, perversely enough:p)

Last edited: