Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2013 and 2020 for illustrative purposes.

2B79239B-866F-4707-8758-1B91056EA858.png

Aww, that's cute, Al Root! Trying to share your expertise on the matter with the world with your Barrons article eh? The matter that has been analyzed and hashed over 1000 times over, it's ok, to be late to a party, try to look fashionable though, very important:

Tesla Is Going to Offer a Crossover Model Y. It Might Not Be Great News.

Saw the Barron’s and another similar article in BusinessInsider (another pro-Tesla publication—sarcasm of course ) this a.m. First off do these guys understand that the Model 3 may be cannibalized by a more expensive Model Y? And that cost savings were made to the Model Y over the Model 3? If the writers don’t get it you’d think Tony would. Secondly, Elon has mentioned cannibalization and does expect the Model Y to be a bigger sales generator than the Model 3 and doesn’t have a problem with it. Where is the critical thinking here? Scary!

Starting from my estimate that about 12M non-hedge shorts were in circulation when the SP was 650, and that short interest ($) stays about the same, I anticipate the newer short report will disclose ~ a 12(1- 650/750)) drop = 1.6M shares, so down to ~ 21M total shorted.

I'm ready to put my foot in my mouth should the need arise.
Yeah, the offical data has been out at NASDAQ for hours:

DATE: 01/31/20
Short Int: 22,752,621
DeltaSht: -2,201,644​

By the way, that is the lowest Short Interest for TSLA in my dataset (begins 06/15/18)

TSLA Short Interest stats: (06/15/18 - 01/31/20)
High: 43,626,944
Mean: 32,818,233
Low: 22,752,621
Std Dev: 5,615,104​

Also note the Short Interest data pt has a T-Score of 32 for a Percentile Rank of 4. We conclude there has been significant short covering as of Jan 31, 2020.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Seems we are finally at a price level that is stable for now. With theta and vega breathing down my neck, it was finally time to say goodbye to this last call. Hopefully the premium will continue to drop, I would like some LEAPs at some point before Not-Battery Day in April.

Now I have some MSFT and NVDA calls because it feels so empty without having some options at any given moment. Haha. This might end well or it might not.

Seems we are finally at a price level that is stable for now. With theta and vega breathing down my neck, it was finally time to say goodbye to this last call. Hopefully the premium will continue to drop, I would like some LEAPs at some point before Not-Battery Day in April.

Now I have some MSFT and NVDA calls because it feels so empty without having some options at any given moment. Haha. This might end well or it might not.
Be careful! Don't lose that Cayman....

@FactChecking — I like to add the element of time to your argument as well.

Over time, the the components of an internal combustion engine (rings, gaskets, and seals) wear; it pollutes more and more. Hence, smokey old cars.

Over time, more and more renewable energy is added to the grid. Electric vehicles become cleaner and cleaner. Therefore, the environment becomes healthier and healthier for your children and grandchildren.

OT... Jack, your comment stuck in my head and is the best counter argument when we hear that "dirty" energy question. It's not the main reason why I'm selling my old 63 Buick Conv. (mostly just not as fun to drive as the Model 3 and maintenance), but I keep thinking these classics have peaked in value.

The great part about it is I'm selling back to my best friend that sold it to me in the 1980's... so keeping it in the family, but I just can't do ICE anymore. He's flying in to pick it up today, and I spent the last hour+ just topping up all the fluids and stuff - yet another reminder of the simplicity of owning an BEV. His name is John Snow (for reals, should I be worried?).

She was a beauty and not so common. Even comes with the Grateful Dead sticker from a Phx Az. concert long ago.
So long Labomba!

P9270021 (2).JPG

Yeah, the offical data has been out at NASDAQ for hours:

DATE: 01/31/20
Short Int: 22,752,621
DeltaSht: -2,201,644​

By the way, that is the lowest Short Interest for TSLA in my dataset (begins 06/15/18)

TSLA Short Interest stats: (06/15/18 - 01/31/20)
High: 43,626,944
Avg: 32,818,233
Low: 22,752,621
Std Dev: 5,615,104​

Cheers!
So Ihor was badly wrong yet again (as he is every single time). Please stop posting his short estimates on here (or do with a large caveat) - anyone who even considers trading based on his predictions (guesses) is only going to be misled.

Here is his tweet from Jan 31:
$TSLA short int is $15.55bn ; 24.26mm shs shorted; 18.13% of float. Shs shorted down -2.00mm shs,-7.6%, over last 30 days as price rose +53% & down -861k shs,-3.4%, last week. Shorts down -$5.45bn in January mark-to-market losses; +$163mm on today's -1.05% move

Quite an interesting article in Harvard Business Review, seems fairly balanced overall IMO:

Lessons from Tesla’s Approach to Innovation

Talks mostly about strategy and hardware/software implementation. Seems to miss the opportunity to discuss an important distinction between Tesla and legacy companies.....and that is the culture of innovation that's part of Tesla's DNA (willing to take risks; iterating quickly; first principles thinking; constantly optimising etc.) and the different organisational culture/structure (everyone is a chief engineer; anyone can speak to anyone else if it gets the job done quicker etc.).

Seems we are finally at a price level that is stable for now.

With the share price dropping over $17 in less than 20 minutes this morning, you probably would have thought yourself crazy to say that last year.

The new "stable" is losing the entire cost of an IPO share in just a few minutes of trading!

It's encouraging that the market is shrugging off the NHSTA autopilot review. I wouldn't be surprised if they recommend that the system be set to not allow speeding, but of course I hope they don't. Both tragic cases of user error with the CA department of transportation being the primary fault in one, and the trucker that decided to cross in front of an oncoming car in the other.

With the share price dropping over $17 in less than 20 minutes this morning, you probably would have thought yourself crazy to say that last year.

The new "stable" is losing the entire cost of an IPO share in just a few minutes of trading!
I keep looking at the dollar gain and I get excited or concerned, then I remember to look at the %. Oh, just 1%, no big deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tslynk67
So Ihor was badly wrong yet again (as he is every single time). Please stop posting his short estimates on here (or do with a large caveat) - anyone who even considers trading based on his predictions (guesses) is only going to be misled.
Yeah, Ihor is not "wrong"; he has a "construct validity problem" (the degree to which a test measures what it claims, or purports, to be measuring).

Ihor gets his overnight data from volunteer participants in the market. The fact that this sample consistently disagrees with the canonical NASDAQ data (10-12 day lag) means that those two populations (Ihor vs total market) are treating the dependent variable significantly differently.

Market Makers aren't among Ihor's "volunteer participants", and are behaving significantly differently from Ihor's sample group (go figure)

A smarter man would take Ihor's daily data, subtract his error term, and produce their own daily estimate of the underlying variable... ;)

Here is his tweet from Jan 31:
$TSLA short int is $15.55bn ; 24.26mm shs shorted; 18.13% of float. Shs shorted down -2.00mm shs,-7.6%, over last 30 days as price rose +53% & down -861k shs,-3.4%, last week. Shorts down -$5.45bn in January mark-to-market losses; +$163mm on today's -1.05% move

Yeah, I don't read Ihor's tweets unless I can't sleep. Who doesn't luv a good bedtime story? :rolleyes:

Cheers!

Quite an interesting article in Harvard Business Review, seems fairly balanced overall IMO:

Talks mostly about strategy and hardware/software implementation. Seems to miss the opportunity to discuss an important distinction between Tesla and legacy companies.....and that is the culture of innovation that's part of Tesla's DNA (willing to take risks; iterating quickly; first principles thinking; constantly optimising etc.) and the different organisational culture/structure (everyone is a chief engineer; anyone can speak to anyone else if it gets the job done quicker etc.).
I can vouch for Tesla's "first principles thinking" DNA. During the first MIC model 3 delivery event, 2 separate Chinese hosts on 2 separate occasions mentioned the first principle. That's how deep the DNA been rooted.

Yeah, Ihor is not "wrong"; he has a "construct validity problem" (the degree to which a test measures what it claims, or purports, to be measuring).

Ihor gets his overnight data from volunteer participants in the market. The fact that this sample consistently disagrees with the canonical NASDAQ data (10-12 day lag) means that those two populations (Ihor vs total market) are treating the dependent variable significantly differently.

Market Makers aren't among Ihor's "volunteer participants", and are behaving significantly differently from Ihor's sample group (go figure)

A smarter man would take Ihor's daily data, subtract his error term, and produce their own daily estimate of the underlying variable... ;)

Yeah, I don't read Ihor's tweets unless I can't sleep. Who doesn't luv a good bedtime story? :rolleyes:

Cheers!
I agree with what you are saying, but me guessing with a blindfold on at a bunch of numbers around the previously-reported number from 2 weeks ago is just as likely to be correct as his.

Thus, the "smartest" man would take Ihor's data and throw it in the toilet. :)