Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 510557

The Engineering Technician Tesla is looking to hire in Louisville, Colorado, should be familiar with silicon anode materials. We know that SilLion was acquired by a large, international tech company. We know that Tesla is looking for a hire at their approximate location, a person familiar with exactly the anode materials SilLion covers with their IP and expertise. I think we could conclude that it's very likely Tesla was the acquirer.

Another SilLion/Tesla connection, but not one that proves anything other than perhaps SilLion has been preserved as a subsidiary of Tesla (consistent with the SilLion currently having a President but no CEO). Also interesting the title change from Research Scientist to Research Engineer: Perhaps something is moving closer to production?

upload_2020-2-12_15-55-2.png

Last edited:
Here are Charlie Munger's comments about Tesla:

Charlie Munger, on BYD and Tesla sales divergence: "BYD sales went down because the Chinese reduced incentives to the buyers of electric cars...and Tesla sales went up because Elon has convinced people he can cure cancer."​

Context: Berkshire Hathaway owns a big, 25% stake in BYD ..

Further context, Tesla is now endangering BYD in their home market:

He was also trash-talking the stock and Elon:

“I would never buy [Tesla] and I would never sell it short...I think Elon Musk is peculiar and he may overestimate himself, but he may not be wrong all the time,” Charlie Munger said.​

The Berkshire Hathaway old guard is still seriously underestimating Tesla. Their loss. :D

Berkshire Hathaway bought 10% of BYD in 2008, later BYD issued more shares, so Berkshire's stake is slightly less than 10%.

Munger invested into BYD long before 2008, his investment did very well for a while, then it came 2008. Similar to many capital intensive companies, BYD was ready to fail. I remember this because at the time I was looking for a good EV company to invest in. Munger asked Buffett to invest into BYD. His reasoning seems to be valid: EV is the future, China will support BYD, the CEO of BYD is great, etc. However, Buffett didn't act. First of all, BYD doesn't fit Buffett's four investment criteria. Second, (this part is my guess) at the time financial crisis was going on, there were so many great and safer investment opportunities, why waste money on such a risky company? A few months later, Munger talked to Buffett again, he said if Buffet doesn't invest, he will pull his money out of BRK and invest into BYD. That was serious, he probably had never said something like that to Buffett in the past few decades. Buffett immediately sent his right-hand man Dave Sokol to China to check out BYD. Buffett decided to buy, BYD founder Wang said he was only willing to sell 10%.

I used to respect Munger a lot, studied his book carefully. Through the Tesla episode, I realize he probably is trying to protect BYD. It's his legacy. There is no way he doesn't understand Tesla's potential. In my view, Tesla will prosper. BYD will suffer a lot, it can't compete with Tesla.

Interesting paper by Daniela Molina Piper, COO of SilLion:

https://www.scientia.global/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/SiILion.pdf

Quote: "This ability to turn so many commercially available silicon materials into effective anodes could send shockwaves through the industry, making the current, over-engineered silicon anodes look overpriced by comparison."

Edit: Here is a recent patent application also by Piper:
https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/38/1f/65/408e6ef0e62a1d/WO2019113406A1.pdf

Quote: [0007] Given the projected growth of Li-ion applications in the next decade, a massive opportunity has arisen for scientists and engineers to develop a battery capable of safely powering devices and vehicles for longer at a lower cost. Such a battery will require a new set of higher energy electrode materials, with the Si/nickel-rich system representing a promising and commercially viable solution to the performance requirements being demanded. In terms of battery safety, ionic liquid electrolytes and solid-state electrolytes are the most promising solutions to the volatility and flammability of existing commercial Li-ion electrolyte materials. Most efforts aimed towards commercializing these materials involve expensive material modifications. To address the performance limitations of existing energy storage electrolyte formulations, SilLion has developed RTIL-based electrolyte compositions capable of enabling high rate performance, enhanced low temperature performance, and long cycle life for use in a range of applications, including electric vehicles.

[0008] SilLion has validated its current ionic liquid-based electrolyte formulations and high-energy cell systems in today’s commercial battery manufacturing infrastructure, thereby proposing that its technologies will facilitate fast integration and deployment of the technology for maximum impact. SilLion also sits in a unique position, capable of introducing other Li-ion chemistries that could be more geared towards the very high demanded power for certain applications.

Last edited:
Last edited: