Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They lost the communications downlink during the entry burn. I wonder if that is related to the landing failure. I noticed some smoke to the right side of the screen around the time of the landing burn starting, and then water droplets on the camera. I have a feeling stage one had a location coordination problem with the droneship.

The rocket doesn't need communications to land; it's autonomous.

I was speculating earlier that it was probably a soft landing on the water. SpaceX just confirmed this. Apparently the rocket is intact.

Probably not recoverable / reusable, but might be :)

Note that it's possible that the rocket deliberately missed the drone ship. It's programmed to do so if it doesn't think it can land safely . But it's also possible that it just simply missed accidentally.

They lost the communications downlink during the entry burn. I wonder if that is related to the landing failure. I noticed some smoke to the right side of the screen around the time of the landing burn starting, and then water droplets on the camera. I have a feeling stage one had a location coordination problem with the droneship.

If I recall, the default landing protocol is to 'miss' the droneship, and then change course in the last few seconds to actually make the landing. That way, if something goes wrong, it won't crash on the ship.

My bet is on a more successful rogue Spacemouse mission.

Falcon 9 stage 1 missed the landing on the drone ship :( Looks like it may have done a controlled touchdown just to the right of the camera, as you could see mist getting kicked up, then a minute later the camera got splashed.
Will be interesting to learn what went wrong.
I'm curious if it was this part coming off @ ~ T+00:05:59 which may have thrown off the trajectory:
O66w3dk.png

Anyone has any idea why the video link cuts off for the Starlink satellite deployment Every! Single! Goddamned time!

Edit: Since this seems to have confused several people -- I am very specifically referring to the deployment of the Starlink satellites from the second stage, NOT the booster landing on the drone ship!

Last edited:
I am proud of our lively democracy! :)
but a lot of people (maybe the most) protesting against Tesla in Germany are far-far-left or far-far-right or climate deniers, and that is something I'm not really proud of.
Strange that some "fridaysforfuture" twitter accounts like that tweet

@HambiBleibt is also promoting these Tweets on their feed, it's a group protesting against the destruction of a 10000 year old forest (Hambacher Forst) for coal digging by RWE, which I believe is a legitimate concern, and it's hurting their cause, based on the replies.

I have it on good authority that a large submarine surfaced next to the landing barge.
The rocket landed on the submarine and was quickly spirited away.

Anyone has any idea why the video link cuts off for the Starlink satellite deployment Every! Single! Goddamned time!

The intense heat of reentry ionizes the air around the spacecraft, which intereferes with radio communications. Google “Reentry Blackout”.

Edit: Sorry, misread this—thought you were talking about reentry.

Last edited:
I'm german... and this show is embarrassing

I honestly think it can be ignored. At this point the police is preventing additional trespassing and those already in the trees will be carefully removed - and unlike (some states in) the USA no lengthy prison terms will be handed out. Since Tesla is in any case waiting for the OVG statement, no actual delay is taking place.
While the approach is completely undemocratic, it's still a sign that the democracy is working, since people feel free to protest.

If anything, it just means that even more people will hear in the news that Tesla is building a factory in Germany.

The intense heat of reentry ionizes the air around the spacecraft, which intereferes with radio communications. Google “Reentry Blackout”.
No, he means when Starlink satellites get deployed. And he is right. We never see the separation event, which is interesting since starlink get separated in a completely different way than normal. They are stacked on top of each other without a mount and the second stage performs a peculiar rotation maneuver. Something is happening there... :rolleyes: