Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Google search for taycan fire florida garage comes up with no 'news' and only articles on tesla. While i don't want to pour fire on an EV burning, even if it is porsche, but if something like that happened with tesla, it makes all news headlines and tickers. Some of us suffered while supporting the tesla mission all the while fudsters ran with reports of fires after 100+ mph accidents....
Hm, that's a real mystery, why could that be??

Volkswagen Group leads automotive spending on advertising

"Fifteen automakers and tire maker Bridgestone Corp. constituted the automotive category on the World’s Largest Advertisers list. Seven of those automakers made the top 25, Advertising Age, an affiliate of Automotive News, reported this month."

"VW ranked No. 4 on the biggest-spenders list, with its ad spending in 2015 totaling $6.6 billion."​

VW illustrating for what seems like the millionth time the primary benefit of advertising that Tesla and a Tesla advocates refuse to admit out of sheer stubbornness.

VW illustrating for what seems like the millionth time the primary benefit of advertising that Tesla and a Tesla advocates refuse to admit out of sheer stubbornness.
What, that advertising is a waste of money? I won't buy any VW product.

You lost me on that one. o_O

edit: to keep relevant to thread, I do own Tesla stock, but no VW.

edit: I get it now "protection money". Maybe, I don't think so, though. Too many unaffiliated players.

Last edited:
Reactions: scaesare

Speaking only for myself -
I do admit that there’s clearly a “protection racket” and eager participants utilizing it and enjoying the “primary benefit.”
I do not feel it is possible at this point for Tesla to get the same benefit for any reasonable level of Protection Payments (the benefit, being unwritten, would be unenforceable) nor that Musk would be agreeable enough with paying-off the thugs/bullies. Elon Musk may be quite stubborn in dealings with bullies, having dealt with them all his life.

In reading this article about Bill Gates owning a Taycan, I cant help but notice the glaring hypocrisy. First it says this:

"And that's a big deal for Gates, who has made climate change an area of focus personally, and for his foundation."

Then it goes on to say:

I have to say it's a premium-priced car, but it is very, very cool," Gates said. "That's my first electric car, and I'm enjoying it a lot."

Are you kidding me? You say you're making climate change a personal area of focus, yet the Model S has been out since 2012 and you continue to drive a gas car for 7 years? And obviously, since he bought the Taycan, it was not because Tesla was not building the type of car he wanted.

Totally sad and totally pathetic. What he meant to say was, "I'm making it my goal to make climate change the area of focus in other people's lives. I don't want to actually do anything, but maybe I can force other people to".

Can you imagine if Bill Gates had got on board with Tesla in 2012? With his money, with his celebrity - he personally could have made this nightmarish journey that Elon Musk has endured a TON easier. Think of how much money and pull he could have thrown at state govt's that have banned Tesla. I can guarantee you Microsoft has some presence in at least a few of these states. Imagine his influence there.

But I guess the REAL issue is that Elon Musk would have gotten the credit - and not Bill Gates. What else could it be if he REALLY gives a crap about the environment.

Bill Gates Is Driving a Porsche Taycan. Here's Why He Didn't Get a Tesla

Terrific news.

Pedantry: presumably having AP enabled did not matter, that the emergency braking would have engaged whether using AP or not?
Maybe. Emergency braking has unclear conditions in which it engages. Either way, seeing a positive article about AP is great.

In reading this article about Bill Gates owning a Taycan, I cant help but notice the glaring hypocrisy. First it says this:

"And that's a big deal for Gates, who has made climate change an area of focus personally, and for his foundation."

Then it goes on to say:

I have to say it's a premium-priced car, but it is very, very cool," Gates said. "That's my first electric car, and I'm enjoying it a lot."

Are you kidding me? You say you're making climate change a personal area of focus, yet the Model S has been out since 2012 and you continue to drive a gas car for 7 years? And obviously, since he bought the Taycan, it was not because Tesla was not building the type of car he wanted.

Totally sad and totally pathetic. What he meant to say was, "I'm making it my goal to make climate change the area of focus in other people's lives. I don't want to actually do anything, but maybe I can force other people to".

Can you imagine if Bill Gates had got on board with Tesla in 2012? With his money, with his celebrity - he personally could have made this nightmarish journey that Elon Musk has endured a TON easier. Think of how much money and pull he could have thrown at state govt's that have banned Tesla. I can guarantee you Microsoft has some presence in at least a few of these states. Imagine his influence there.

But I guess the REAL issue is that Elon Musk would have gotten the credit - and not Bill Gates. What else could it be if he REALLY gives a crap about the environment.

Not to mention that he is a mega billionaire. He could have avoided any sort of compromises that come with an EV by having an assistant deal with charging or whatever.

I feel bad myself for not being super green when I could sacrifice personally and do it, but a billionaire like Gates? He could have been 100% green a decade ago.

"Fifteen automakers and tire maker Bridgestone Corp. constituted the automotive category on the World’s Largest Advertisers list. Seven of those automakers made the top 25, Advertising Age, an affiliate of Automotive News, reported this month."

"VW ranked No. 4 on the biggest-spenders list, with its ad spending in 2015 totaling $6.6 billion."​

In all fairness, we currently have a single source, who's requesting that press DM them, but have their DM's closed. Even Tesla enthusiast blogs are having trouble contacting them to get any more info.

Of course, it looks like this was a major incident. Weird that there's no other public sources, when there were so many firefighters at the scene.

Terrific news.

Pedantry: presumably having AP enabled did not matter, that the emergency braking would have engaged whether using AP or not?

Maybe. Emergency braking has unclear conditions in which it engages. Either way, seeing a positive article about AP is great.

Forward Collision Warning and Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB) do not require AP to be active. AEB automatically enables on each drive cycle whereas FCW can be more permanently disabled by the driver.
Pages 134 and 135: https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_x_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf

Redirect that into a Giga factory or two.

Article says the objections will be discussed starting Mar 18. Only after this is done Tesla can get the final permit.

If the court decides that right now the final permit is not highly likely to be issued, the preliminary permit that allowed them to cut trees will not be reinstated. In that case, they´d have to wait for the final permit, which only comes after Mar 18. However, generally trees can not be cut after beginning of March due to start of the vegetation period (plus a two possible two week grace period). Therefore they´d have to wait until the end of the vegetation period in fall.

State government has said they are trying to find a way around the vegetation period limitation in case the court does not reinstate the temporary permit, but I don´t know if the court would play along.

Meanwhile, two activists have occupied trees in a fight against capitalism, the patriarchy, and also stating their solidarity with the Kurdish resistance. This is getting weirder by the day, seems like a Monty Python scene to me :confused:... First protests were supported by right wing AFD and subsequently stopped, now these left wing protesters come in... But it seems like most people in Germany are face palming over all this and hope the theater is over soon.
I hope there is a plan B location in Poland or Holland or somewhere in Europe. This is a perfect location, would be a shame if crazy outsiders screw it up.

Then it goes on to say:

Gates is a arrogant multi-billionaire he thinks we can engineer with only technical solutions our way out of climate change... sold all my MSFT stock last year to buy Tesla...not going to waste valuable minutes watching Gates pontificate... he is just jealous of Musk simple as that

If I bought LEAPs then I'd be looking to sell them long before the expiry date, I wouldn't be looking for them to go into the money particularly.

I guess this is because of the US taxation where you want to convert the options into shares to avoid paying tax?
Yep, taxation is the primary consideration. Some of the more creative strategies would involve short term taxes if done in a regular brokerage account which is approved for margin. But the retirement accounts which are tax deferred don’t allow the more complex short term options trading.
With LEAPS I wouldn’t hold them to expiration either. But may want to hold them over an year so any profit is long term capital gains.

Gates is a arrogant multi-billionaire he thinks we can engineer with only technical solutions our way out of climate change... sold all my MSFT stock last year to buy Tesla...

Elon is a genius and I happy he is leading Tesla as well as his other ventures. But I do get the impression interacting with him on a personal level may be a bit hit or miss. I feel like its highly possible within the billionares club Elon may have rubbed some people the wrong way, like Gatesa and Woz, and as such they've gone the way of the Taycan and the Bolt. Yes its poor reasoning but no matter how rich you are you are still human.

We may be entering an era where advertisers not only 'influence' news content, but actually script and produce it. Recent WSJ and CNBC video pieces on EVs suggest production values and styles that exactly conform to what advertisers regularly produce.

Until recently, news-mimicking promotional entries scattered within news stories have been accompanied with inconspicuous small-type notices indicating them as a 'sponsored' messages.

Essentially, it appears advertisers are cutting out the middle man - the 'trusted news media', and are exploiting what little credibility that remains in that media to display their own content as actual 'news'.

Last edited:

Then it goes on to say:

My first windows based OS was O/S 2 Warp... And before that something from PARC...

I hope there is a plan B location in Poland or Holland or somewhere in Europe. This is a perfect location, would be a shame if crazy outsiders screw it up.
agree Germany was a risky location based on incumbents and not invented here ... i hope Musk has a plan B and be ready to pull the trigger ... i am sure he does as the GF4 is too important