Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, at least it meant the @cricketman was well positioned to invest in Apple. I confess I thought the first iPhone was a joke. Missed it entirely.
I did worse. Loved the first iPhone so much, bought 200 shares of Apple. Sold it all an year later because it had doubled. If only I had held it longer. Didn’t buy again till 2013 - but most of the explosive growth was done by then.

Will not make the same mistake with TSLA

Have all your bases covered and buy yourself the best shot. At the end of the day Tesla needs all the help it can get so it doesn't hurt to have the media on your side vs cherry picking random negative facts about your company. Negative headlines does not help climate change or Elon's mission.

Tesla can't spend enough to counter the spending of the entrenched industries it's disrupting. Would be a total waste of money. Results and truth are already turning the tide.

I more or less executed the plan I outlined earlier, selling about a third of my stock, and buying a $1600 strike price option for Jun 2022.

Yes, we floated in a stagnant range for years in the past, I believe we are still in price discovery mode now, and have not settled into a new range. I believe the market will EASILY value TSLA at double current value in 2.5 years, probably sooner.

Tesla can't spend enough to counter the spending of the entrenched industries it's disrupting. Would be a total waste of money. Results and truth are already turning the tide.
I never consider educating the public about EVs with a TV commercial underwhelming considering people are fed misinformation and have preconceived biases toward EVs already. How many even know that electric cars can travel 390 miles now and with V3 super chargers available? Most people in the US are still clueless about electric.

So maybe we can reduce negative headlines while educating the public beyond YouTube.

I more or less executed the plan I outlined earlier, selling about a third of my stock, and buying a $1600 strike price option for Jun 2022.

Yes, we floated in a stagnant range for years in the past, I believe we are still in price discovery mode now, and have not settled into a new range. I believe the market will EASILY value TSLA at double current value in 2.5 years, probably sooner.

I tend to agree with this when viewing TSLA in isolation but it's hard to predict how a recession would impact this trajectory. Tesla Energy and/or autonomy (or both) will start making major contributions to SP in the timeframe you outline. Could be very explosive - even beyond what you suggest, but the unknown is how much macroeconomic conditions will hold us back.

So have the buyers of the capital raise flipped their shares yet?
We will know when they are done when the stock goes down.

I never consider educating the public about EVs with a TV commercial underwhelming considering people are fed misinformation and have preconceived biases toward EVs already. How many even know that electric cars can travel 390 miles now and with V3 super chargers available? Most people in the US are still clueless about electric.

So maybe we can reduce negative headlines while educating the public beyond YouTube.
The people who want to learn go find the info. Those who don't won't listen to any sort of ad. Tesla's target demographic get their information from social media/YouTube etc and don't watch TV.

Well, at least it meant the @cricketman was well positioned to invest in Apple. I confess I thought the first iPhone was a joke. Missed it entirely.
Wow. I saw the presentation and knew it was the best phone. After years of having phones where you couldn't do anything other than make a phonecall without the manual handy, it was obvious to me. (too bad I didn't have any investment cash at the time). The UI on the newest phones aren't as good as the original after Jony Ives got a hold of it though.

Reactions: humbaba
MaxPain:
Calculated based on Open Interest for all Calls and Puts of a given expiration date for different stock prices at expiration.
Open Interested gets updated only once a day after hours.
No other data go into the calculation. If you can download the complete Options Chain for all dates you can calculate it easily in excel etc.

Here is a graph based on yesterday's Option Chain data (in my case from Fidelity's Option Trader Pro).
It shows MaxPain strikes for all expiration dates grouped by type of expiration (quarterly, monthly, weekly) on the right hand vertical axis.
The green bars measured on the left hand vertical axis show the minimum amount of $ to be paid out in Millions.

My interpretation:
MaxPain in a rapidly moving stock like TSLA shows first of all when the options for that expiration were predominantly written. That is why quarterly points are lower than monthly which in turn are much lower than weekly ones. Outliers to the upside are expiration dates which only recently started trading (e.g. March 2022). To repeat: MaxPain of future dates reflects history - not the future of what will happen!

MaxPain in the current week will at least at the first few days of the week rapidly change from day to day to catch up with the stock-price. Later in the week the pressure, temptations, and incentives for the MM get higher to manipulate the stock instead of hedging and on expiration day there are pinning dynamics in play.

Payout are highest for the next Leap, quarterly, and monthly. Once we get close to one of these (like this week) the next one in that group will raise (people rolling out into the next expiration). So the March monthly payout is already higher than the February monthly.

Hope this helps people understand the concept and limitations better.

MaxPain 02.17.2020.png

I’m out of my element here but is there even a remote chance that the collapse of the auto industry could possibly trigger a global recession?
Oh Hell yeah it "might." But you are forgetting....the only way that happens is if Tesla causes it... and Tesla will be hiring.
So just bullsugar numbers...when TSLA gets to around $11,000/share go ahead and sell to protect yourself from the coming recession.

Are there any rules for how long a entity most hold the shares? I mean they get to buy them at a discount while there paid mouth pieces talk the price up...so can they dump them right away...so this Thursday?

No restrictions that I’m aware of. Why are people stressing over this? It’s a non event. While people assume that the buyers are flippers (which some might be), most will be long term holders. The stock sale was a way for large institutions to buy the stock without melting up the price.