Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I “envy” those who here can or could retire at 40! Congrats! In my case as I said that when TSLA reach 850, it hit my goal. 4% rule that give you 150k to 200k a year would make most of us a comfortable retirement life. But before you reach 65, the health insurance can cost you about $25000 plus a year for a family of 4. I said to my wife that maybe you should go and find a job that provide us health insurance. You know what she said to me? “ You are greedy!” :D With that I am getting more greedy and will wait $1200 TSLA. As you might noticed, I am hardcore Long of TSLA and very patient. Enjoy Folks!
I believe some take a part time job at a place like Starbucks or Costco just for that reason.

I work as an independent contractor under an LLC and private insurance is a disgrace. I pay about $500 a month for garbage insurance that offers few options and has a $5k deductible. Just for myself.

Trying to wrap my head around something while it's quiet here.
Regarding options, max pain and delta hedging - Why does max pain even matter if delta hedging exists? Assuming they are net neutral regardless of the current price, why the need to move the stock a certain way? Probably because that assumption of mine is incorrect? Certainly not every option seller will be net neutral though.

Max pain seems to assist in setting a range we trade in, where delta hedging seems to amplify any direction we move in.
Just curious for example pretend we move up next week (It's tough to imagine I know :rolleyes: ). With the large amount of options expiring 21st does that free us up to move about more freely, or would the lesser amount of delta hedging slow down any potential gains. ?? TIA

edit, max pain should definitely be called "maximum profits"

Last edited:
Just looking at his screenshots gives me anxiety. People think I'm insane for not selling my shares at this price point even.

I think the 4% rule of retirement doesn’t really apply to TSLA. It basically assumes as you withdraw 4%, your investment will grow with the same amount so you won’t ever be running out of money.

I believe TSLA will easily grow 10% a year so you could be safe to retire taking out 10% of your investment, without ever depleting your account.

In other words, if your account is worth $2M and you need $200K per year to live your life comfortably, you can retire!
Yeah but holding your entire retirement savings in a single company is very dangerous. Now, if your shares are worth 4 million, you sell 2 million and put half of that into S&P 500 and the other half into bonds or something, then you can probably pull out 10% a year in total and be safe. That's more or less my plan...just need the SP to get to 5k or so.

Or pizza delivery. The number of pizza delivery guys in their 50s and 60s is massively depressing.
Uber as well. I delivered pizzas for a few years in college. Made good money but it's actually one of the most dangerous jobs out there due to the driving and risk of robbery. It makes being a cop seem like an office job by comparison.

Okay. Sold a $900 call for 10x. Bought a $900 put. My bro bought a $975 call. All weeklies. Just an FYI, I have never made money on a put. My brother never lost money on a call. So get ready
I'm confused. What happened to 1,400? Was it downgraded to 900?

Also, your brother bought 1,800c before, right?
Is he holding that or sold on the first uptick?

Also curious, do you and you brother sit next to each other when you trade? That may affect the clarity of the experiment.

Thanks for your insight. I find this a quite fascinating thought myself, but I don´t feel well prepared yet at all... Would be happy to discuss this in depth with those being in a similar postion or already having called in rich ;) - created a thread here:
Early retirement strategies
Subscribed!

Mod: I have started moving posts about retirement there. Better if you all go there too. --ggr

When we get to $5000, a $60 rise is only a 1.2% rise. A $60 rise could be considered nothing special.
I doubt we'll ever get to the number of $5,000 but I'm fairly certain we'll get to the value of $5,000, as it will probably do a 10:1 split if it gets that high. And that would make a $60 rise well over 10%!

Man, crazy times in which we live...

I'm confused. What happened to 1,400? Was it downgraded to 900?

Also, your brother bought 1,800c before, right?
Is he holding that or sold on the first uptick?

Also curious, do you and you brother sit next to each other when you trade? That may affect the clarity of the experiment.
I have a bunch of calls and stonks, no worries. I literally bought the put so that the stock would go up. Didn't work. I sold the put at $911 like 30min ago for a $484 gain. He sold that 2/21 $800c on the 4th for a $14k gain (50 bagger). He then bought an $1880 call for the 28th

This might be interesting to watch

"I'm going to be on @CNBC at 3PM to talk about $TSLA and $SPCE short selling."

Ihor Dusaniwsky on Twitter

SPCE should thank SpaceX for the tide lifting their boat, because Virgin Galactic on it's own is fairly unimpressive.... There is no way they deserve to be valued at ~1/5th of SpaceX.

Are you Dutch? I’m Canadian and we just don’t talk like that. Don’t get me wrong I like how forward it is but if I said that to my fellow Canadian friends they would think I’m a know it all and pompous. Even though I would be speaking the truth. I do them the truth about Tesla but just in a different way.

My father was Scottish, mother English, born in England, lived for 18 years with an Italian/Sicilian girl, moved to Belgium 20 years back and married a Dane.

So no, not Dutch, but I tend to say things that other people only think. Of course I might not always deliver the message in such a direct manner, but I would ensure they knew what I meant.

Trying to wrap my head around something while it's quiet here.
Regarding options, max pain and delta hedging - Why does max pain even matter if delta hedging exists? Assuming they are net neutral regardless of the current price, why the need to move the stock a certain way? Probably because that assumption of mine is incorrect? Certainly not every option seller will be net neutral though.

Max pain seems to assist in setting a range we trade in, where delta hedging seems to amplify any direction we move in.
Just curious for example pretend we move up next week (It's tough to imagine I know :rolleyes: ). With the large amount of options expiring 21st does that free us up to move about more freely, or would the lesser amount of delta hedging slow down any potential gains. ?? TIA

edit, max pain should definitely be called "maximum profits"
MaxPain assumes that the option writer do not hedge - instead they minimize the payout by pushing the stock around. So it comes down to what you think the option writer predominantly do:
- Hedge - then the main effect towards expiration is pinning to a heavily traded strike.
- Don't hedge - they they will try to push the stock towards a specific strike = MaxPain.