Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
etrade had that right anyway. now MS will have it.

but only with shares bought using the brokers extended margin

any shares you own paid for by your cash, are not to be touched by broker. unless you opt in to a fully paid lending program (if they have one).
Does the broker's right to loan the shares end when you pay off all your margin? If not, is there a sway to end it?

Does a GTC sell order at $9,999/ share really keep them from being loaned?

Yes, but you could still do a backdoor contribution. US tax law on Roth is so silly. Income above $X then you can’t contribute to a Roth. But you can shove $6k of after tax money into a traditional IRA and fill out one form and covert that to a Roth.

Not necessarily. If you have money in a traditional, non-Roth, IRA then you could end up paying tax on most of the conversion. (Essentially double taxed.) For example $6,000 after-tax contribution to your traditional IRA that has a balance of $60k that than you then back-door to a Roth you would pay tax on $5,400 of that conversion.

Reactions: Eugene Ash
Looks like the underwriters snapped up all their allotted options immediately rather than sit on them for the month they were given.

I guess they assumed the upside from $917is greater than the possibility SP drops back to $767. Anyone know if there's any holding stipulation to their allotment, or can they just cash in those shares today?

Tesla Raises $2.31 Billion in Its Stock Offering | The Motley Fool

I don’t believe there is a holding period, so today they can sell. It still isn’t much volume. Today was likely going to be down day anyways. The stock price cannot go up everyday, it never works like that.

For my own education purposes. I am interested in knowing if anyone on this forum physically met the member?

Another is, is it true that he solicited ppl to invest?

Cause those are redflags for me. Someone not physically verified to be real and u solicited investment in a stock.

I usually guard what I invest in like a secret and only really divulge the stock if it already succeeded.

I was never solicited by anyone but others might have had a different experience. I also remember it being more than just one individual who was interested in GTAT. In fact a group of people split off into their own forum which took on a life of it's own.

Does the broker's right to loan the shares end when you pay off all your margin? If not, is there a sway to end it?

Yes, their right to loan shares ends when you no longer have a margin balance. (Unless you have signed up for a Fully Paid Lending program.)

No, a GTC sell order will not prevent them from being loaned if you have a margin balance.

Note: That is how it is in the US, I don't know about rules in foreign markets.

yes, it’s a rolling calculation, margin is

so as the market moves, so does the maintenance requirement to support your portfolio.

brokers must segregate cust-owned shares from “firm-owned” shares

gtc shouldn’t matter. if you bought shares using broker extended margin/loan, they can loan them out. it doesn’t mean they will loan them out. it has to be equitable for them to do so

The above article just quotes the already discussed Tweet:
Simon Moores on Twitter

In addition to the already stated advantages for Tesla, this move also denies even more battery cells to the competition. So it seems increasingly to me that Tesla considers the 'Mission of sustainable transportation' to be something that it alone will be doing.

Further, back when Tesla announced GF1 all the detractors were quick to point out that by in-housing their cell technology, Tesla would bind itself to their chosen tech and thus be exposed to the risk of a different tech becoming preferable.

Well, guess what, Tesla just decided to exploit a different battery cell technology - along with their first choice, rendering the GF1 criticism unfounded.

I was never solicited by anyone but others might have had a different experience. I also remember it being more than just one individual who was interested in GTAT. In fact a group of people split off into their own forum which took on a life of it's own.
There was a GTAT blog with horror stories. Can’t fail, people buying options on margin buying dips and sudden bk when their only customer, Apple with drew contact because they couldn’t deliver. Hard to read that blog