Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Investment comments aside for one moment, I agree that this was a bit of a mistake. Too many people I discuss TSLA with automatically associate Robotaxis with ‘JohnnyCabs’ from Total Recall.

Besides Spaceballs, I think Elon was influenced by a lot other films from that era, often showing up today in his billionaire humour.

This 1990 clip from the film even starts with Cybertrucks driving about!

Nice find, had to take a proper screenshot:

upload_2020-2-22_14-8-1.png

We’re nearing the end of February and the places where we can track registrations are still showing very few deliveries. I’m wondering if we will see a repeat of Q1 2019 where most of the deliveries were during the last few weeks (actually 50% during the last 10 days of Q1 2019). Or are a lot of cars already being delivered in places that are black boxes?

Unfortunately (or even fortunately, as this opens up the possibility of better numbers than we are seeing at the moment), most places are black boxes. At least until the end of of the month when at least European countries will report. Just a week to wait...

What I look forward to is the formal factory approval being granted. Because then Elon and local leaders can all show up surrounded by camera crews for a big groundbreaking ceremony which will get lots of press coverage, and turn this in people's minds from a "possible future Gigafactory" to a "Gigafactory in progress".

EM we need a new dance move .. bro!!

Weekend thread:
Stocks with >50% exposure to EVs/Clean Energy/Sustainability

Obviously Tesla is the true Clean Energy pure play and leader, but I'm trying to screen some other stocks with a true focus on Clean Energy/Sustainability.
Are there any other public stocks people have come across?
It's surprisingly hard to find. I'd be particularly interested in battery tech startups.
ITM - hydrogen producer. Well you asked.... Let's see if they can stay in the money.
I'm 90% certain that on Battery Investor Day Elon is going to disclose such easy to digest numbers, and more.
$5k for 40kWh pack.

plus

early video of manufacture looking like this:
giphy.gif

Just to explain the cultural context in which @azaz used it: in /r/wallstreetbets (WSB) subreddit speak "autist" is used in a self-referential description, never in an aggressive-negative context or as an insult.

"Us autists" who are "on the spectrum" are meant as a socially awkward but elite group of outcasts, with a bit of a self-deprecating but endearing overtone. "Be a true autist" is meant as someone having all the best traits of this subculture, where "Papa Musk" is considered a hero autist.

Just to get a feeling of it, watch this WSB investment advice video from two days ago (erm, strong language warning):

(There's even a TSLA reference in it.)

Or these self-identifying references:

I.e. this WSB use of "autist" is very different from the alt-right and 4chan use where it's indeed meant as a nasty insult.

/r/wallstreetbets basically turned around the alt-right semi-racial epithet of social exclusion and inverted it into a desirable, inclusive trait.

They even inverted the word "degenerate" in a similar fashion: via a CSS hack of the WSB moderators the number of subreddit subscribers on WSB is displayed not as "893,929 subscribers", but as "893,929 degenerates". :D

By subscribing to WSB you/we self-identify as autists.
https://www.amazon.com/All-You-Can-...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B01BXD8FYA

Also I appreciate @Fact Checking taking the time to explain the context in the way I used the word, but still it means a very hurtful thing to most non wsb people and people are right when they say we shouldn’t normalize it’s use here because of the way it’s normally used in society.

Yes, I very much appreciate the context explanation. Many years ago a fellow by name of Rukeyser used to have an investment show on the TV of the day. He used a nickname to refer to one group and style of investors. He used "Elves". It was a bit whimsical and clever and it worked without harm or foul. This case suffers a bit in comparison. Names are a serious thing with unexpected powers.

At one time I was a sysop of a compuserve forum having a lot of discussion of various SW vendors. There were a lot of clever names/abreviations used in postings that had a bit of slamming quality to them suggestive of an ad hominem. Simple things like spelling vendors names with a clever twist slowly became divisive as opinions became more hardened. With a bit of effort I decided to try to always make references respectfully as the owner had established. It really is the best way to have a discussion. This group is unusually good in this respect IMO.

Oh yes, I thought that Taycan charging was free with Ionity for 3 years, but it seems not, it's "reduced price" for Taycan owners of €0.35 per km, or something. Crazy!

€0.35 per kWh, obviously.

Similar to Audi and, I believe, Ford.

I wouldn't get too het up about the Ionity pricing. The headline number is the Pay-As-You-Go pricing. Tesla doesn't have PAYG pricing, because "special" pricing is baked into the price of the car.

If you do the math on Supercharging, PAYG pricing would have to be higher than the current price. But, one of the fundamentals Tesla got right, was that charging economics suck, so it's better to use charging to sell the car, not the other way round.