Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not so much that the numbers are better or worse compared to this or that other virus, be it regular flu or ebola, it is the response of quarantine, lockdown and shutdown, to this new and as yet unknown virus that will already affect the global economy.

Empty streets in Wuhan, population 11 million.
China is now the 2nd largest economy in the world.

The Lombardy region of Italy which is now under shutdown is the industrial powerhouse of the whole country which is the 8th largest economy in the world.

These 2 YouTube videos I found are mostly non alarmist and more factual;

"it's not so much the virus, it's the response to the virus; Lockdown"

"in 2003 when SARS hit, China was 4% of global output, now China is 17%"

The red cross advises having 2 weeks supply of food and water. It wouldn't hurt to have that much on hand, maybe stock up a little just in case. I'm thinking might as well get it now, because it would suck to fight the panic buyers if it comes to that.
Survival Kit Supplies

Yep totally agree that its the affect of lock-downs and quarantines that you should look at when it comes to economic effects not the amount of deaths, obviously the more infectious and deadly the virus the more intense the lock-downs need to be. From what im seeing it seems very likely there will be many more lock-downs and quarantines around the world to try and slow and contain the virus until we have a vaccine, as it now appears to be past the point of quarantines being enough to eliminate the virus like they managed with Sars.

• Helpful
Reactions: ABCTG
Jeremy Konyndyk on Twitter

Screen Shot 2020-02-24 at 9.28.46 PM.png

Remember folks. Chaos is a ladder.;)

"Preppers" is a broad category. There are some people like myself that want to have a couple months of food on hand in case of disruptions/quarantines etc. (I'd never call myself a prepper) It's a stupid cheap insurance policy for something you can't insure against other ways. Then there are the other kind that are preparing for the apocalypse. Every little thing in the news is a sign of the end times, they stockpile guns, fortify their homes, and have plans to escape into the wilderness.

Oh well. As you get richer from TSLA profits, you might as go all out on your prepping since the cost gets less and less compared to your total wealth.

I started basic prepping since last year. But right now it sure'd be nice if I have a place in the country side to escape to. I can use this excuse to just go and enjoy nature for a while go hunting and live a simple life. But the bigger stuff takes years to set up. So looks like I am stuck in the city with others for this pandemic.

Not going to post any more about COVID-19, but here is another country that is enforcing quarantines

South Korea reports eighth COVID-19 death, 60 new cases

South Korean Government Raised COVID-19 Alert to Its 'Highest' Level as Confirmed Cases Surpass 600

COVID-19 Update: South Korean toll soars as global pandemic fears rise; China warns citizens against US travel - The Moodie Davitt Report

On Friday, the government declared Daegu – epicentre of the Korean outbreak – and its adjacent county Cheongdo as “special care zones”.

Prime Minister Chung Sye-kyun yesterday called the situation “grave”.

I might as well go on a information posting spree.

My Model 3 Performance that was delivered late March 2019, has gotten the HW3 upgrade. Remember, Elon said cars after April 12 have HW3. My car is less than 2 weeks away from that date. That means, if I'm getting the upgrade, everyone is eligible! Elon was not kidding that they're doing HW3 upgrades in earnest in Q1. I've been waiting for city driving autopilot for a while, and a big indicator that this is going to happen is when Tesla finally starts retrofitting HW3 to older cars, since there is little reason to do so if they're far away. This bodes very well for city driving autopilot to be released soon!

Philippe Houchois of Jefferies down graded TSLA to Hold. But increased his price to $800 from $600.

So let me get this right - keep a buy rating while the stock goes above their price target for nearly a month (30th Jan onwards), then decide to up their target to the current SP and slap on a hold. Seriously?

Where do I apply to become an analyst? I might even be able to come up with stuff like this BEFORE it happens...

Tesla downgraded to Hold from Buy at Jefferies Jefferies analyst Philippe Houchois downgraded Tesla to Hold from Buy with a price target of $800, up from $600. The analyst notes that he remains convinced by Tesla's "equity opportunity", but also believes that its valuation needs to be grounded on its potential market size and profitability. Houchois adds that his neutral stance is warranted pending better visibility of the upcoming battery business model, even though he continues to see Tesla as "uniquely engaged in a positive sum-game" within the electric vehicle transition.

Read more at:
Tesla downgraded to Hold from Buy at Jefferies TSLA - The Fly

So let me get this right - keep a buy rating while the stock goes above their price target for nearly a month (30th Jan onwards), then decide to up their target to the current SP and slap on a hold. Seriously?

Where do I apply to become an analyst? I might even be able to come up with stuff like this BEFORE it happens...

Tesla downgraded to Hold from Buy at Jefferies Jefferies analyst Philippe Houchois downgraded Tesla to Hold from Buy with a price target of $800, up from $600. The analyst notes that he remains convinced by Tesla's "equity opportunity", but also believes that its valuation needs to be grounded on its potential market size and profitability. Houchois adds that his neutral stance is warranted pending better visibility of the upcoming battery business model, even though he continues to see Tesla as "uniquely engaged in a positive sum-game" within the electric vehicle transition.

Read more at:
Tesla downgraded to Hold from Buy at Jefferies TSLA - The Fly
This doesn't seem that unreasonable to me and well within the standard range of cautious to bullish investors. The stock has seen a 4x gain in less than a year. It's not unreasonable to say continue to hold until you get more clarity on the next stage of growth. There's messages on this forum all the time where people are stating they have deleveraged, which is what this research note is recommending.

I'm still leveraged because I'm an uber bull but I wouldn't call the above response silly.

TSLA opened at 0% in Frankfurt. Yet Amazon (+1.6%), Facebook (+2.3%) and Apple (+1.1%) all opened higher. Hopefully this doesn't foreshadow another rough trading day. I'd be happy with 0% after yesterday.

No, this is just the usual pattern of Frankfurt frequently mispricing the Nasdaq close on very low volume. It has meanwhile corrected to €784 (on low volume as well), which is $850, which is +0.5% above the $844 level where Nasdaq after-market trading ended yesterday and roughly in line with the macro index futures improvements, and perhaps a bit of the Model Y delivery news as well.

I love it how everyone around here seems to be "long" and "all in", yet every time we have a dip they seem to have "dry powder" to pick up shares. :p
TSLA opened at 0% in Frankfurt. Yet Amazon (+1.6%), Facebook (+2.3%) and Apple (+1.1%) all opened higher. Hopefully this doesn't foreshadow another rough trading day. I'd be happy with 0% after yesterday.
Now trading in FRA at 850 USD.