Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
3 week stand and nah it went RIGHT. Learned some valuable lessons about Latina women and got fired from my job, which has opened up all kinds of time for me to jump back into music and to write my book.

I'm living plush nowadays but the real gains are the friends we made and the wisdom we gained along the way. :D

Preposterously OT I know, so let me contribute something more on topic real quick:

No.

Lol. No it makes sense. It happens to most who made it.

• Love
Reactions: SpaceCash
Lol. Lower-BB is $634.44 right now. SP falling like a rock with 'uptick rule' in effect. This is either panic selling or naked shorting, or a combination of the two. I'll be interested to see the FINRA short report today.
I'm not sure but I think uptick rule only applies when the price falls of 10% within the day (not in regard to previous close) :

''
The Alternative Uptick Rule
The 2010 alternative uptick rule (Rule 201) allows investors to exit long positions before short selling occurs. The rule is triggered when a stock price falls at least 10% in one day. At that point, short selling is permitted if the price is above the current best bid. This aims to preserve investor confidence and promote market stability during periods of stress and volatility.''

Uptick Rule

Moving averages put the share price in bear territory at that number right now. Breaks the upswing technically.

If we close below 733 we’re going downward temporarily.
I've got some really bad news for you. Your report is a bit too late. We are already going downward. Your information is quite a bit too late. The 733 number has no bearing on going down. Market fears at the moment is the big news. Technicals don't work when things are moving on news. If we hit 400 TODAY and they report a vaccination and cure has been discovered I don't care what your technicals say, We V sharp rocket right back up.... I do follow technicals as vague general guides but you are using them wrong. They do not work on news events.

I'm not sure but I think uptick rule only applies when the price falls of 10% within the day (not in regard to previous close) :

''
The Alternative Uptick Rule
The 2010 alternative uptick rule (Rule 201) allows investors to exit long positions before short selling occurs. The rule is triggered when a stock price falls at least 10% in one day. At that point, short selling is permitted if the price is above the current best bid. This aims to preserve investor confidence and promote market stability during periods of stress and volatility.''

Uptick Rule
From the SEC: Press Release: SEC Approves Short Selling Restrictions; 2010-26; Feb. 24, 2010

Short Sale-Related Circuit Breaker: The circuit breaker would be triggered for a security any day in which the price declines by 10 percent or more from the prior day's closing price.

reading a lot of people going into DITM LEAPS... anyone care to explain what the benefit is over ATM/OTM LEAPS? TIA

The way I think of it / understand it, if you go DITM enough, then it behaves very much like buying cheap versions of full on TSLA shares.

Or alternatively, you can think of it as buying SOME leverage, for very little money.

So I'd look at something like a 350C while shares are trading at 700. And I think you'd want a long duration (so typically a LEAP; 1 year +).

The point of comparison - if you were able to buy shares on 50% margin, you'd have similar leverage, but now you'd be paying interest on the loan. How much does that interest add up to over the life of a DITM call of say a year or 18 months? You might find the DITM LEAP to be cheaper than paying the margin interest, while providing similar leverage.

That's the idea anyway - you'll have a LOT of your own research and number crunching to do to decide if I'm even right, much less whether this idea makes good sense for you.

3 week stand and nah it went RIGHT. Learned some valuable lessons about Latina women and got fired from my job, which has opened up all kinds of time for me to jump back into music and to write my book.

I'm living plush nowadays but the real gains are the friends we made and the wisdom we gained along the way. :D

Preposterously OT I know, so let me contribute something more on topic real quick:

No.
tenor.gif

The way I think of it / understand it, if you go DITM enough, then it behaves very much like buying cheap versions of full on TSLA shares.

Or alternatively, you can think of it as buying SOME leverage, for very little money.

So I'd look at something like a 350C while shares are trading at 700. And I think you'd want a long duration (so typically a LEAP; 1 year +).

The point of comparison - if you were able to buy shares on 50% margin, you'd have similar leverage, but now you'd be paying interest on the loan. How much does that interest add up to over the life of a DITM call of say a year or 18 months? You might find the DITM LEAP to be cheaper than paying the margin interest, while providing similar leverage.

That's the idea anyway - you'll have a LOT of your own research and number crunching to do to decide if I'm even right, much less whether this idea makes good sense for you.

thanks, highly appreciate the elaborate response! :)

COVID-19- and previously SARS- and MERS have together so far resulted in less than 5000 confirmed deaths ([2] + recent news).

Car accidents kill 1.2-1.3 million annually [1]. Outdoors air pollution results in around 4 million premature deaths annually [3]. That's ~5 million people every year and it hardly makes the news. At least 20 million more are injured in car accidents [1]. Few care all that much, unfortunately.

We can handle all the other mayhem year after year so perhaps we will get through this as well.

[1]Infographics on global road safety 2013
[2] Elisabeth Mahase; "Coronavirus: covid-19 has killed more people than SARS and MERS combined, despite lower case fatality rate". BMJ 2020;368:m641.potent
[3] Air pollution

I don't personally try to "guess the bottom". I buy on the way down, at fixed points, which become closer in frequency the further down it goes, with the possibility of way down included in the calculation. Then I sell right back at higher strikes on the way back up, freeing up the cash for more on-the-way-down buys.

How do you determine your buyback limits? And the new sell limit? Do you try to make a profit on the combination of buyback and sell-again, or is a higher strike your only goal?