Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And the answer is a resounding YES if by declining the bonus now during a period of high income, you can let it grow and claim it later during a period of low income.

The question was, would you decline a bonus at work because it would be taxed at a high rate. Your answer is not to decline
the bonus, it's to postpone the bonus (assuming your boss was amenable to that). There's a difference between declining and postponing and that difference matters here.

Edit: I see now that you get that. :oops:

Last edited:
I too haven’t touched any of my shares in my very long term pension account. And the reason for that is because I feel on balance that Tesla is well placed to ride out a recession, even one that might prove be a once a generation event.

Yes, Tesla is, in my view, the best investment to make in the energy transformation. It is a once in a century company with Standard Oil being the best and perhaps only true analogue. So long as that investment thesis holds and barring substantial upsets in my own life, I would hold through any of the type of global turmoil seen, say, in the last century— war, plague, depression, you name it.

But last I checked, a great number of people here are engaged in trading. And a greater number still will have portions of their investment portfolio that they intend to monetise earlier than a “very long time” time frame.

I am an adamant member of the buy and hold camp. I am investing in a company that I understand. By 2025, returns should be insane, but maybe the virus or something else will push that to 2026 or 2027. Not so long I think.

Trading adds too much complexity for me to follow and perhaps even for some of the traders here. I do not care to enter the spiders’ parlor. I feel bad for those bitten. Maybe there’s a lesson somewhere in there for them?

Also, the opportunity costs of keeping the tight, short term focus that trading requires is not worthwhile, IMHO. There is much more to be gained by taking a larger, longer view. The Art of the Long View takes time to master The Art of the Long View|NOOK Book

Governments around the world are this weekend having serious conversations about the trade off between guaranteeing an economic downturn through restrictions on trade and movement, versus letting the virus run its course and accepting the consequences. It’s naive to pretend this isn’t going on and frankly insults your own intelligence to call a long standing and bullish poster a “care bear” for trying to highlight these risks.

It was not my intention to call @JBRR a care bear nor did I do so. I merely alluded to the large increases in care bear postings around dips.

Were the sky actually falling, should they not be attending to their safety and the lives of their family members? Do the investments of complete strangers on the internet take priority? One might, as I do, take reassurance from all these posts (again, not calling out anyone in particular) and translate them to reveal their true intent: “Please sell, and believe me when I (don’t) say I have an ulterior motive"

Think about the second order consequences. If there is not a sharp rebound in Q2 in China after what may be in truth a double digit yoy GDP contraction in Q1, what do you suppose will happen to the banking system? One that is already stuffed to the gills with undeclared NPLs. Mass capitalisation of bad banks to clean up the balance sheet is the Communist Party’s normal play, finances by printed local currency. But what then happens to the yuan and what does that mean for the competitiveness of the wider world and the global trade system?

Italy’s banking system has already teetered on the brink of insolvency for a couple of years and it’s politics becoming more fragmented and extreme. Hopefully after a poor start, the govt contains the outbreak. But what if it doesn’t and you have a full blown recession? Do the politics of it before long force Italy out of the Eurozone? What happens to its giant Target 2 deficit (tending towards €1tr), largely financed by Germany? And what might that all do to the politics in France?

What happens to Emerging Markers, which are heavily exposed to a) commodity prices, b) tourism?

Others here far better qualified to talk about US.

It’s perfectly fine to say you’re not selling Tesla for 15 years and don’t care if the mark to market fell 90% in the interim. But I suspect there are many here who have still not considered that is even a possibility.

There was turbulence on the horizon even before this virus.

The Dow was ‘overbought,’ as the saying goes (obviously so?).

The energy transformation has begun.

We may well be entering a deflationary boom as Catherine Wood of ARKK Investments says.

So, yes, lots of risks and opportunities. So many cross currents and rip tides.

I do not feel as blythe as I may come across. I do worry, just not about Tesla. In fact, I see it almost as a life ring in stormy seas. The greater the turbulence, the tighter I cling to my shares, because the turbulence is due to extraneous conditions but the direction of travel is right.

Last edited:
BTW - you sure you aren't writing articles for the FUDsters? That sounded exactly like something they'd write.

I'm worried about you now!

Once you have read enough FUD headlines, they become like second nature to write.

And I've read a lot of FUD headlines! Unfortunately for the FUD'sters, their headlines have lost their (once-reliable) impact. You don't need to be a TMC member to see through them, every market participant can now see the little boy crying wolf and it generally makes them want to buy more TSLA!

Last edited:
Wow, I hadn't noticed the P/E of nearly 700! That's one high flying tech stock!

But seriously, the only way F can pay dividends is by selling their seed corn, for example putting up their logo as collateral for a loan. This is a death spiral if ever I've seen one. I'd buy some puts except they're probably going to rebound with the market. Made a note...

I considered getting F PUTs when it was $9, but then I decided I didn't want to spend time researching Ford, so I just kept my money long TSLA.

Chill dude. I already deleted my post. It isn’t good form to post links or videos without explaining why you are posting it. That’s universal. Can’t read your mind or your posting history easily.
Lol, I literally quoted the comment linking to the live stream on the Air Force Association website. ;)

You don't need to be able to read minds, just the screen in front of you. On this site, just click the red up-arrow () to go the the comment being quoted.

There, you'll see the original comment, marked ( Informative x 7 Helpful x 5 Love x 1 ).

Cheers, have a great weekend.

Excuse me if this has already been confirmed and mentioned somewhere. But, does anyone know whether the Y has an automatic powered lift gate like the X? Would love to be able to remotely open it up all the way like with the X.

This thread appears to confirm the Model Y has a powered liftgate:

Model Y confirmed power lift gate

I found that with a simple search.

If the shares I sold end up being worth $1M, all of us will be swimming in money like Scrooge McDuck

I disagreed with that statement because current TSLA shareholders will get itchy fingers long before it gets there. The reason is simple and has to do with human nature and the way our brains tend to work. Because it couldn't be wrong to sell something that just tripled in a year or two, could it? :confused:

Fortunately, as humans we also have free will and with learning and discipline we are able to counter our natural tendencies. :cool:

Last edited:
Heck, if life can go on in South Korea when the president of the US and Kim Jong Il are threatening nuclear war and there's tens of thousands of artillery pieces aimed across the border, many at Seoul, along with shells and missiles full of chemical weapons and bioweapons produced in staggering volumes.... If people there could still go about their normal lives under that threat... and they did... I think we can handle what's in effect a worse version of a seasonal flu.

Just a little overestimate there.

But, you are right. South Koreans do go on about their daily lives just as normal. For one, the people have become accustomed to all the drama over the decades. It’s just noise now whenever something comes up in the news. Two, most believe Kim is just all talk because they know he doesn’t want to lose the power he has. Those that view the North as a threat are mostly the ones outside the South.

Similarly, if the Cov news stays on the airwaves everyday for months, we’ll get accustomed to it and likely take it in as noise. Just like how people in the US have pretty much allowed Trump’s behavior to continue every single day.

Right now the Cov is new and that causes fear. Once it becomes an everyday thing for a long time, it likely won’t matter as much. Just have to give it time.

Anybody else notice this juicy trade After-hrs today?

TSLA .After–hrs.2020-02-28.png

Thats right: at 7:07 PM, somebody bought 300K shares @ 674.00 for over $200M bucks. Gotta love Options Expiry Fridays.

I bet this trader did... It's almost like they're covering something...

Cheers!

Elon just said today China will likely beat the U.S economy by a factor of 2x+. It's because the Chinese people's ability to get things done blows his mind

If you are referring to the Air Force talk, I don't think it was related to the get things done ability, it was a pure numbers observation. 4x the people at half the per capita income is double the GDP.

The 5 Largest Economies In The World And Their Growth In 2020

Look what we've found by comparing today's FINRA Short Selling Report with NASDAQ's 'per-minute' Trading log: the volume of 'naked short selling' today is almost exactly the same as an unusually large trade in the After-hrs session at 7:07 PM (EST).

This is compeling evidence of MMs covering their naked short sales from today, but look at the premium price they paid After-hrs: $674.00 vs. todays VWAP $646.79

They must have really needed those shares to spend $200M on them, hmm?

NakedShortCovering.2020-02-28.png

EDIT: this also implies that a single entity is behind both today's outsized 'naked short selling' and the equally large After-hrs trade to acquire the shares which were sold earlier (without first being located as required by the #SEC)

EDIT2: Appreciate all those who filed complaints with the SEC. This is the first time I have seen evidence of 'naked short' covering on the same day and in a bulk trade. Perhaps we are finally getting some traction with the investigators at the SEC who's job it is to protect Investors from abusive practices conducted by certain brokerages, who act as both Market Makers and conduct 'for profit' proprietary trading.

Paging @Fact Checking

"These ARE the 'droids you're looking for."
- Old Ben Kenobi​

hqdefault.jpg

Paging @Hock1

Cheers!

Last edited: