Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you think Musk is laughing to himself at GM's "efforts"? Or maybe he is feeling frustrated by the lack of commitment. I agree with a lot of the cynicism here and I'd like to think it's warranted. After all, this community can see right through these headline-grabbing figures. And then you're left with something pretty uninspiring. Or am I being unfair?

Last edited:
Do you think Robinhood really moves that much stock to influence markets? I would think they're peanuts.

LOTs of options trading by WSBers, it definitely has an effect.

Wall Street is starting to grumble about it:

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

"Reddit’s Profane, Greedy Traders Are Shaking Up the Stock Market"

"Chatter on message boards is reshaping the options market and sparking wild rallies."​

Most of the WSB (/r/wallstreetbets) subscribers are using Robinhood to trade options.

For example the recent SPCE bubble (and crash) was I think primarily driven by WSB mania. There's plenty of other examples as well.

Influencing stock prices through options used to be the domain of big hedge funds - now retail investors, instead of getting fleeced might be doing the fleecing themselves, which obviously has to stop. :D

Last edited:
All you need to know is summarised here on Sneaky Alf and Adam Jonah:

upload_2020-3-4_21-30-24.png

Not to mention, failure, failure, failure, but now they'll come good!!!

upload_2020-3-4_21-33-3.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-3-4_21-30-5.png
    upload_2020-3-4_21-30-5.png
    301.8 KB · Views: 46
Do they actually believe this themselves? Or is this all a show to prepare for Bailout 2.0?

Bingo! We have a winner! All GM needs to do is look like they are trying to go EV. Nevermind that they don't have the money to do it.

Tesla went through ten years of losses while the peanut gallery threw shells at them and laughed because they were spending billions of other peoples money. Well, guess what, GM will need to borrow every penny they have announced. Now multiply that amount by 3 to get a more realistic estimate. They don't (and won't) have it without borrowing hugely. They do not have the lean efficiency of Tesla so this is (unfortunately) a non-starter without a government bailout.

Fool me once, shame on you. Try to fool me twice and you can take a hike!

I do not see such issue on my end. I am using PC, not mobile. I have 5 accounts with TD, all linked together, and switched back and forth without being asked for password every time.
I'm not using a mobile either. I can switch to look from the account I have them linked to, but all but the account I logged into are read only. I even called and asked, and was told that's just how it works.

The way I see it, the Taycan is, what, ~480 Wh/mi? And this would be 500 Wh/mi for the hummer. That's not too shabby for an unaerodynamic vehicle with a body designed for an ICE and is made to support a battery that is 18" thick (forgot where I saw that so no citation).* So, while not impressive, it also looks about right for something GM would (eventually) make.

Also, while they are planning on eventually bringing the cell cost to <$100/kWh I haven't seen any mention of the density. That's going to be one heckuva heavy battery pack which isn't going to help cargo capacity. {ed: assuming they match where Tesla used to be for packs[1] that would be ~2150 pounds just for the battery. Ouch!}

* I'm still trying to wrap my head around that one. Will it have no ground clearance or will you need a ladder to get into it?

1) Tesla Model 3 Battery Cell Has World's Highest Energy Density

Yeah, but what they didn't reveal is that they took inspiration from Cybertruck and GM's new design philosophy is that the whole car is in fact the battery! So no battery pack, but battery chassis, battery shell, battery suspension - simples!

Edit: Burpin' Cat Mode though, come on, that's a game-changer!!!

Edit 2: Yes, I have been drinking Duvel!

Last edited:
All you need to know is summarised here on Sneaky Alf and Adam Jonah:

View attachment 517969

Not to mention, failure, failure, failure, but now they'll come good!!!

View attachment 517977
Lol Normally I’d consider an analyst opinion but Adam Jonas gets to ask Elon Musk a question every quarter and botches it every time with the dumbest question. It is for this reason I consider him the most uninformed worst analyst of all time

truly unbelievable that we aren’t up big today. Lots of manipulators keeping us down.

GM is dead. They made 6.5 billion in profit last year. They will need to spend every penny of profit for the next several years to turn these plans into reality. ALl the while cannibalizing their own ICE sales and leaving billions in stranded ICE assets. I can't see a path for them to survive. (bailout maybe?)
GM = Government Money

The tail risk for Tesla is that the government could force Tesla to acquire GM.

Margin calls and their enforcement may have become a factor today, especially for TSLA. Compounding that, the all-day outage at Robinhood on Monday, with another Tuesday morning, may be causing many of its frustrated clients to liquidate and close their accounts. A large number of its clients are millennials, a group that tends to favor investment in TSLA. Those leaving Robinhood will need a little time to reinvest at other brokerages.

With regard to Robinhood clients moving their accounts to other brokerages, how many TSLA shares do you think you're talking about here? Is it even significant?

Anytime I've changed brokerages, I've transferred the shares (and whatever cash balance I had), not sold them and transferred the cash. The last time was around 25 years ago - I've been pretty happy with Schwab since then.

I'm not using a mobile either. I can switch to look from the account I have them linked to, but all but the account I logged into are read only. I even called and asked, and was told that's just how it works.

I also have multiple linked accounts and can switch between them and trade without re-logging in. They are not read-only. Maybe they have set the access differently on the linked accounts for you?

Its definitely possible to log in once and trade multiple accounts. I've done it multiple times in the last few weeks on both mobile and web.