Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
he did say feature complete in a couple months during ER call.

Yes, and Elon confirmed that via this tweet just yesterday:

Deployed FSD features are oceans away from feature complete FSD home to work without interventions.

Is it just me, or is there a different definition of Feature Complete (implying "Released") running around than the more conservative one I get from these:

Screen Shot 2020-03-05 at 1.37.48 PM.png

Is it just me, or is there a different definition of Feature Complete (implying "Released") running around than the more conservative one I get from these:

View attachment 518321

Yep, we've got two roughly similar definitions from Elon himself.

From the Q3 earnings call:

"Yeah, feature-complete, I mean, it’s — the car is able to drive from one’s house to work, most likely without interventions. So it will still be supervised, but it will be able to drive — it will fill in the gap from low-speed autonomy — low-speed autonomy with Summon. You’ve got high-speed autonomy on the highway, and intermediate speed autonomy, which really just means traffic lights and stop signs.

So feature-complete means it’s most likely able to do that without intervention, without human intervention, but it would still be supervised. And I’ve gone through this timeline before several times, but it is often misconstrued that there’s three major levels to autonomy. There’s the car being able to be autonomous but requiring supervision and intervention at times. That’s feature complete. Then there’s — and it doesn’t mean like every scenario, everywhere on earth, including ever corner case, it just means most of the time,"

And from the Q4 earnings call:

"Feature complete just means it has some chance of going from your home to work, lets say, with no interventions. It doesn't mean the features are working well, it means above zero chance."

Inspired by GM's presentation, and after 5 minutes of hard work, JRP3 industries is proud to unveil our future EV platform featuring our Ultimess battery architecture, able to handle various formats and voltages:

View attachment 518297

Damn, if you Tweet that it will go viral to the point of breaking Twitter. :)

Last edited:
Barron's headline: "Get Ready Tesla, GM Touts a 400-Mile Range for Electric Vehicles"

Ummm... shouldn't that be "GM Announces EV Hummer With Less Than Tesla's 500+ Mile Range"

Tesla's stock falls after GM fires 'shot across the bow' with EV plans

This popped up on my news feed. It's a Market Watch headline based on Wedbush's Daniel Ives. He further states the GM event was "a clear shot across the bow" against Tesla and CEO Musk, but that given GM's vast distribution and global customer base, the legacy automaker "must be taken seriously in this EV arms race."

This is unfortunately the typical process for most media outlets whenever some other company announces some far-flung EV product: take the pie-in-the-sky concept claims for vehicles that may or may not be marketed in some unknown quantities literally years from now, and compare them against a misunderstanding of what Tesla is delivering in volume today.

In this case, take a 400-mile all-goes-well guesstimated range from GM for vehicles to be released multiple years in the future, and claim that this is something Tesla should be worried about today (Tesla, the company delivering 390 miles of range in vehicles purchasable in volume right now).

Incredibly frustrating, yet absolutely the norm. The comparison that any journalist worth their weight in <insert inexpensive commodity product here> would be GM's touted 400-mile range vs Tesla's touted 500+ mile (Cybertruck) or 600+ Mile (Roadster 2021) range. Both of those products should be on the market prior to the first GM vehicle subject to this announcement (the updated Bolt coming later this year is not an Ultium product).

Poppycock.

Bring it on, GM--I wish them luck and hope they're successful. But let's give appropriate credit to whom and at such time as it's earned.

View attachment 518321

You are trying to assert the most conservative view of what it would mean to be complete. But "feature complete" is not shorthand for "completely perfected". In particular, look at the features listed by Tesla. This amounts to navigate on autopilot, auto lane change, autopark, summon, traffic lights/stop signs, and automatic city driving. When the last two are released FSD will be "feature complete" because all features will be present. Will they be perfect? No. Will they be usable? Partially.

Note, this isn't me guessing or reading between the lines. At autonomy day Elon laid it out. I don't have the text at hand to copy so this is paraphrased, but it went something like this: "first it will be feature complete, then safe enough to use, then the regulators will be convinced." It is implicit from that that feature complete is not completely done.

Full Self-Driving Capability
  • Navigate on Autopilot: automatic driving from highway on-ramp to off-ramp including interchanges and overtaking slower cars.
  • Auto Lane Change: automatic lane changes while driving on the highway.
  • Autopark: both parallel and perpendicular spaces.
  • Summon: your parked car will come find you anywhere in a parking lot. Really.
Coming later this year:

• Recognize and respond to traffic lights and stop signs.
  • Automatic driving on city streets.[/quote]

How good do I expect "feature complete" to be? Well, autopark used to work for me -- around 14 months ago, when it was first released. While it works nicely for parallel parking in the entire time I have had autopark the perpendicular parking has worked twice -- both in the initial release. Since then it has required intervention to avoid accidents or, much more commonly, simply given up and aborted. Heck, I love summon, but it doesn't work that well either. Karpathy said something about feeling like a king with the car rolling up to you for you to step into. If only. It drives at you, then will swerve wide trying to figure out how to approach or simply stop fifteen feet away. Either way, it either self aborts before reaching your or you have to abort its shenanigans. A bit unnerving for it to accelerate suddenly at the line of cars in the lot.

Summon is definitely not done and autopark isn't much better. Navigate on autopilot does work very well and auto lane change is quirky but nearly as good. When we get "automatic driving on city streets" I will be happy, but I'm nowhere near ready to take my hands off of the wheel. I know some thing me pessimistic with the view that that is (at least) five years out, but in my opinion its all moot. No other manufacturer has as good of a driver assistance and yet they are already taking about hands-free driving which gives me the shivers.

For all of its faults, and in my opinion they are many, autopilot is very helpful. I am reminded of this on the rare occasions when I can't use it. The most recent was an inexplicable fair-weather failure that gave the "temporarily unavailable" message as soon as I put it in drive. Driving without autopilot is, for me, definitely more stressful. I use summon multiple times a week and autopilot daily. I use autopark when I can... which is to say almost never (I'm not often in situations where its parallel parking will engage and its perpendicular almost never offers, and when it does it fails, sometimes pretty embarrassingly).

Adjust your expectations. Don't think of FSD as being autonomous driving, much less robotaxi. The market doesn't believe it, so for investing purposes I don't think it makes sense to do so. But take it for what it is: the best driver assistance around that is constantly improving and delivering real, not theoretical, value to drivers right now. So while I don't believe this capability is baked into the stock price I find it relevant as both an investor edge (e.g., the market is undervaluing real, present value, which will correct at some point) and a competitive edge (no one else competes, and as more car buyers become aware of this they will be drawn to Tesla even if they do not care about EVs or the environment.

The comparison that any journalist worth their weight in <insert inexpensive commodity product here> would be GM's touted 400-mile range vs Tesla's touted 500+ mile (Cybertruck) or 600+ Mile (Roadster 2021) range. Both of those products should be on the market prior to the first GM vehicle subject to this announcement (the updated Bolt coming later this year is not an Ultium product).

Even then, Tesla has a lot more credibility than GM when it comes to announcing estimated ranges of announced models. Because they have a long history of over-delivering on the amount of actual range vs. announced range. The same cannot be said of GM.

Inspired by GM's presentation, and after 5 minutes of hard work, JRP3 industries is proud to unveil our future EV platform featuring our Ultimess battery architecture, able to handle various formats and voltages:

View attachment 518297

I'm only showing the same components GM revealed. The rest will be shown sometime in 20∞

Anyone may feel free to do so. JRP3 Industries believes in viral marketing just like Tesla :D

I would like to nominate these for posts of merit. :D You sir are on a roll. One of the funniest posts I've seen on here ever. I wish I could have rated it "Funny" and "Love."

Even then, Tesla has a lot more credibility than GM when it comes to announcing estimated ranges of announced models. Because they have a long history of over-delivering on the amount of actual range vs. announced range. The same cannot be said of GM.

Yeah, one thing that stuck with me from Hyperchange's summary of GM's announcement was how different Tesla's announcement events are.

GM: <marketing mumbo-jumbo> A few car shots, some specs torn from a bunch of different vehicles selectively.
Tesla: Here is the car. This is a 95% accurate representation of what it will look like. Here's the cost. Here is the range, and the acceleration. It will ship on <date>.

Aside from that <date> part--which Tesla is getting better at if the Y is any indication--Tesla has a remarkably good record of meeting/exceeding their proposed specs.

This is the second time I've seen a posting seeming to imply that GM did NOT go bankrupt. It did. Existing shareholders got nothing, and even the bondholders got pennies on the dollar.
https://money.cnn.com/2009/06/01/news/companies/gm_bankruptcy/

Random thought: does anyone think that during the next GM bankruptcy they could get part of the agreement to allow them to finally cut the strings (contracts) with all their franchise dealerships, to allow them to sell direct? In states that allow it now, of course.You have to think they would love to get a bigger slice of the pie. Dealerships could still buy cars from GM to sell, but GM would also be allowed to sell off the web.

Random thought: does anyone think that during the next GM bankruptcy they could get part of the agreement to allow them to finally cut the strings (contracts) with all their franchise dealerships, to allow them to sell direct? In states that allow it now, of course.You have to think they would love to get a bigger slice of the pie. Dealerships could still buy cars from GM to sell, but GM would also be allowed to sell off the web.

Do you think the American people are going to bail out GM again?

• Helpful
Reactions: Carl Raymond