Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Look what's rising again in the Netherlands: Model 3 deliveries :cool:

model3_2020.jpg

Think Tesla's stock is getting hit hard? The other manufacturers are getting hit too.

I keep being amazed at how much of a free-fall Daimler is in - down 2½ times what they were worth in 2017 (2nd bar in series), or -33% per year. And TSLA is still up 3½ times what they were worth last year.
View attachment 520286

Daimler could have bought Tesla for practically chump change back when they contracted them to supply the batteries for their FourTwo in 2016. Amazing what has happened since then...

Today I have reached my target of 2,000 Tesla shares!

I bought roughly 1,500 at an average price of $300 and the other 500 I have bought all the way up to $900 and then all the way back down again to $600 at an average price of $500.

I am stopping at 2,000 and holding long term. This is a good amount for the two following reasons:
1. My bank says they will give me a loan at 1% interest on 80% of the value of the TSLA shares to buy a house if I wish. Even at current prices, this gives me an "almost free" $1m loan to do so and is cheaper than getting a mortgage
2. The main reason. I expect TSLA to be at least $3,000 in 5 years time. $6m allows me to live well. If it gets to $10,000 then $20m will be great. If it gets to Cathie's $22,000 then $44m will give me a little security in later life :)

It's been an incredible ride, but now I am done!

Congrats @cricketman

Just a minor note, the loan your bank gives you likely uses your stock as collateral. Vs a mortgage which uses the house as collateral. An important distinction to keep in mind.

• Helpful
Reactions: Ameliorate
Exactly! Everyone knows it's cheaper to not make them in the first place than it is to make them, distribute them at a loss and then recall and crush them. That's an expensive habit.

It's not cancelled; the press event was delayed because of Corona virus concerns. It's so far in advance of production (next year) that GM doesn't have a lot of urgency with the event.

Cadillac postpones reveal of EV over coronavirus concerns

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-10 at 1.19.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-10 at 1.19.21 PM.png
    99 KB · Views: 33
Congrats @cricketman

Just a minor note, the loan your bank gives you likely uses your stock as collateral. Vs a mortgage which uses the house as collateral. An important distinction to keep in mind.

Also @cricketman, if the shares are in a pretax account, the IRS will treat such use of shares as a distribution and you'd owe income tax on the entire amount. I couldn't find the relevent citing in the code but it's described here and elsewhere: Can You Use IRA Accounts as Collateral?

Edit: U.S tax law.

Last edited:
Also @cricketman, if the shares are in a pretax account, the IRS will treat such use of shares as a distribution and you'd owe income tax on the entire amount. I couldn't find the relevent citing in the code but it's described here and elsewhere: Can You Use IRA Accounts as Collateral?

great info. Also if your stock is used as collateral and goes down in value below the loan balance won’t the bank will be contacting you?

I hope they had banners made saying: Check out the cars the competition is so afraid of they banned them!
The news story basically came across that way. I'm in that group myself but couldn't attend this time. Great bunch of active Tesla proselytizers. They said they had about 1k or so people come through their mini show.