Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
that could be the safe interpretation that it is one factory in Central USA.

However, it is weird to say that Y production is only for the East Coast so i still think he's talking about two factories.
Not sure how you reach that conclusion. One factory (Fremont) on West coast making cars for West coast, one factory in the middle of the country making them for the East coast. Makes perfect sense, cuts down on transportation costs and time.

My vote for Tweet interpretation, one factory, two production lines.

Last edited:
049047D3-4F83-4928-80AD-47D1B80C9B21.jpeg

The tweet about Cybertruck giga and searching the central US is just a form of pressure he’s applying to Texas. It appears they are interested in building it outside Austin, but they want concessions. If Texas won’t budge then Tennessee, Oklahoma or Missouri will do fine
Wisconsin has a big site for Foxconn that failed to materialize. Great school in Madison and great state. Austin is hard to beat and nothing says truck like Texas. SpaceX is already in Waco as well, which is close to Austin if they want to have an AI site and a plant.

Reactions: wipster and UCF3
As far as Giga's location goes, I agree that Elon is shopping around and sending pressure to Texas.

However, I don't think that's the main idea. Giga locations are usually very logistic focused. If Giga Buffalo will start producing cells, I'd put my money on anything that has a manageable (time) direct HWY access to Giga Buffalo... namely PA, and OH. (NY could be one, but I doubt much more incentive with Giga Buffalo already in place) Because by going down further, it just adds on logistic costs for cells.

Of course, given Elon has said this is a CT Giga, they can just produce the needed cell right there. But then it still needs to consider logistic costs of the final product to their consumers. So, take OH for example, LG Chem/GM is going to build their Giga there. I wouldn't be surprised to have Tesla Giga in OH too for the sake of talent pool access and also bargain power with the state as it could team up with LGChem/GM to lobby.

• Helpful
Reactions: VValleyEV
This is too funny. Lexus dealer spams Tesla owners: 'You've had your fun, now it's time for zero compromise' - Electrek

Tesla-spam-from-Lexus-e1583869361649.jpg

No thanks, too busy still having fun with my Teslas. I'll trade my S in for a Y though.

OK ok. I've seen plenty of entertaining slants on this. But this will be an extremely effective ad to the two recognized target consumer groups. And both of those are in the majority as to one attribute. They BOTH never drove a Tesla.
The one is lexus owners. It reinforce their choice to drive a Lexus by dismissing the upstart. And the other group is those that have neither driven a tesla or a lexus but are going to buy one or the other.
It is NOT an ad designed to influence the tesla owner.

As to where he likes dropping gigaplants. I see a trend of them being in LARGE population centers. The outlier being Nevada..they gave him a great concession package, and there is the las vegas thing.
I see the strategic play of having a strong influence on the National Government (Senators/congressmen) to make autonomous driving a national issue as well.
So my money would go with a densely populated area...probably sharing a border with another influential state So workers and state economies of both states are favorable to Autonomous legislation....and car sales.

Reactions: Lessmog and abasile
Reactions: capster