Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm 64 and I will eat rice and beans before I let the lousy bastages have my shares.
Yeah I'm long and strong!

I'm with you. I just stocked up on rice, beans and other dry or canned food just as a precaution in case it became necessary at some point to bunker down for a number of weeks.

As to how Tesla fares as the market continues to plummet over the coming weeks, I bet they started working two months ago to see where they were most vulnerable to part supply disruptions and did what was possible to increase inventory. Being so vertically integrated Tesla should be less vulnerable to production drying up quickly because of shortages. If Q1 results trigger being added to S&P, all those funds are going to dive on TSLA shares to get their required position ahead of others at less cost. We may see a flight to comparative safety effect as other auto makers have to shut down plants. I would also bet there are good medical continuation plans worked out at Tesla. One more competitive advantage in being fully awake, smart and fast.

I have to admit I'll be disappointed if we don't get a string of tesla or elon tweets on the day that model Y rolls out. It costs them nothing to make a bit of a song-and-dance that YES, their new model car has finally got into the hands of excited customers.

Has finally got into the hands of excited customers??

I think you mean has already got into the hands of excited customers! Coronavirus and all. Because this is around 8 months sooner than many were expecting. In fact, many said it would never even happen.

I still say we hit a new ATH at some point soon after Battery Day. Then again, I was pretty sure we'd end up green this week. Only off $140ish bucks maybe Friday will be good!

Good news TM. I am also an eternal optimist, so I'm starting a new 12 step group for people who can't help being too optimistic. :)
You can be a charter member! Soon I'll be in a room on a folding chair with other optimists doing the inevitable 12 step, "Hi, my name is Bob and I'm a recovering optimist."

I have to admit I'll be disappointed if we don't get a string of tesla or elon tweets on the day that model Y rolls out. It costs them nothing to make a bit of a song-and-dance that YES, their new model car has finally got into the hands of excited customers. There is 'we don't advertise' and then there is 'we pretend we don't exist'. I was expecting *some* fireworks around model Y sales.
Let's just pray you don't write the tweets..."finally got into the hands", Like it is behind schedule...o_O

To answer your question, I have been long on 1400 shares at around $35 cost since early 2013. These shares are in a taxable account for which if I sold any, there would be 20% tax. I'm planning on holding those through this mess and onwards for some years. in my non-taxable IRA account I had 800 shares at average $200. I have sold this down to 100 shares at $8xx, $7xx, all this selling was before the Covid-19 scare. I still have 100 shares in the IRA account. I can't decide what to do with them. Maybe sell 50 at $600+ today. Keep the other 50 in case we go higher $600's or $700

Curt having bailed out is probably what hit my gut hardest of anything here lately. Damn, I wish Curt had held on just so I could feel better.
I think Curt has valid reasons to get out. Like many I wish I had reduced exposure at 900 and 800. I’d be going back in here though. I’m still uncertain about the impact of c19, but I think it will become a normalized part of life. We have x smoking fatalities every year, car accidents etc. immunity will improve, treatments refined and the impact mitigated. Slowing the initial curve is good and some paranoia is healthy. Q1 could be more impacted in Europe if deliveries are delayed. Shorts could jump on that story, but I think they’ve mostly depleted themselves and are much less relevant. If 5000 or 10,000 cars fall into Q2 due to c19, I think the market will be happy with tsla and cash flow will still be up. If 20-30,000 cars are delayed, that will hurt more. The end of Q rush is riskier this time then most, but Tesla itself is on much more solid ground. With the Y, they can shift production from 3 and stay production constrained even if the economy turns down significantly.

Coronavirus deal in danger:

Andy Slavitt on Twitter

"NEW: At 7 am Eastern Mnuchin, on behalf of Trump, pulled out of the agreement they had reached at 4 am to provide relief for Americans impacted by the Coronavirus. The package was the right thing."

"He now wants more things Pelosi won’t agree to. I don’t know what they are."​

Macros are in free fall since this news broke.

Seems we are staring down a repeat of 2008 political theater. At this point I am no longer laughing at some of the memes implying ppl go cough at all the politicians.

Canada's prime minister's wife got infected. I expected an about face in attitude with how they are treating this virus.

• Informative
Reactions: SOULPEDL
I'm normally an optimist, but hearing the CNBC talking heads this morning squawking about how great the buying opportunities were yesterday. Nope. We are far from the bottom IMO.

The only thing I'm currently holding aside from short positions is Tesla. I don't see how we aren't in a recession. I also have literally zero faith in our current government.

Last edited:
Curt having bailed out is probably what hit my gut hardest of anything here lately. Damn, I wish Curt had held on just so I could feel better.

The decades of trading experience and intimate knowledge of the financial markets allowed Curt to bet on the correctness of his own analysis. I don't have that luxury, so I just accumulate and hold.

I’m expecting something like that from E*Trade, too. They’ve flipped back and forth between 45% and 55% margin equity for TSLA. Its 45% now (thought I was fat and happy having it at 80% a few weeks ago - ha).
No, that margin rate is specific to you because you have too much exposure to Tesla. Screen excerpt from the "margin" view of my portfolio:
Screen Shot 2020-03-13 at 07.30.22 .png

• Informative
Reactions: Prunesquallor
Think about this for a minute if you are thinking about selling.

How much money is sitting on the sidelines right now? ( a lot...like a crazy amount)

Where will that money flow when the first glimpse of opportunity arise? (People are greedy and scared..it will flow too the company best positioned for growth)

What company is that? ( Three guesses and the first two don't count)

is advice

Discuss...

1. China is in recovery
2. Tesla has captured 30% of new energy market
3. Giga Shanghai will be double in size before the end of year
4. M3 production and sales continue to excel in worlds first corona recovery
5. Tesla will have cash from this.

Fire Away!
(It’s (STILL) the batteries, Stupid!)
6. You left off Solar Roof. That is the silent but deadly.