Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My understanding from some dialog with an Epidemiologist is to flatten the infection curve in the US would require 2 to 3 months of people practicing "distancing". That doesn't cure or fix anything it just keeps our medical system from getting overwhelmed. SO...... how does the market look 3 months from now if everyone stays home as much as possible?

This is all voluntary distancing which means probably longer since many Americans are going to get bored after the first week or two.

How does it effect Tesla? Tesla could go to home delivery for everyone but that would mean reducing sales or increasing delivery fees.

Seeing how most business are going to be severely affected, and incomes will be impacted, the sales of new cars might take a hit....
Tesla is somewhat lucky that they don't sell "cheap" cars and the richer people are more likely to be able to continue to afford cars during the upcoming recession. GM, Ford, etc. are completely sucralosed and will need government bailouts again soonish, but Tesla will likely be able to weather the storm and continue operating though short and medium term economic outlook will be rocky. But the short and medium term outlook for the entire planet's economies is going to be rocky so it's not like Tesla is alone here.

Tesla is somewhat lucky that they don't sell "cheap" cars and the richer people are more likely to be able to continue to afford cars during the upcoming recession. GM, Ford, etc. are completely sucralosed and will need government bailouts again soonish, but Tesla will likely be able to weather the storm and continue operating though short and medium term economic outlook will be rocky. But the short and medium term outlook for the entire planet's economies is going to be rocky so it's not like Tesla is alone here.

I've bought 6 Teslas, and I can tell you that upgrading my wife's X is now off the table, because they are stopping all elective surgical cases at our hospitals here and my income is going to take a big hit. Yes, Tesla will do better than Ford, but I'm really mad I didn't buy Puts last week....

For what it is worth the s&p 500 etf is only down 0.82%. i presume we’re won’t be seeing any futures being updated because they are limit down.

the other place to check with be European markets or Asian markets.

edit: I was corrected that it is the old data so please ignore. I just quoted what was on cnbc tv.

Last edited:
I've bought 6 Teslas, and I can tell you that upgrading my wife's X is now off the table, because they are stopping all elective surgical cases at our hospitals here and my income is going to take a big hit. Yes, Tesla will do better than Ford, but I'm really mad I didn't buy Puts last week....
You can still buy puts Monday morning. The 1999 "dot-bomb" and the 2008 "Great Recession" had market drops larger than what we've had so far.

• Informative
Reactions: Dare

Again as mentioned in another thready, you will have to work 200% of your normal hours in 2 weeks and will probably make more than before. Don't see why you would be put on leave status being the most critical person of anyone the coming months.

Again as mentioned in another thready, you will have to work 200% of your normal hours in 2 weeks and will probably make more than before. Don't see why you would be put on leave status being the most critical person of anyone the coming months.
I only get paid when I do surgery. Taking care of ICU patients is something I'm not trained for, or would get paid for.

MOD: No more. End of discussion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seeing how most business are going to be severely affected, and incomes will be impacted, the sales of new cars might take a hit....

I mentioned it a few weeks ago. People seem dismissive that having your brokerage accounts go down by 30-40% wouldn't affect sales since any money you have to buy a car would be in more liquid account.

I don't think so. Paper losses makes you definitely feel a bit more poor and with potential layoffs coming, people are going to tighten their belts a lot more.

But maybe those people have several million dollars in their investment accounts and don't mind losses like me.