Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's the timing on testing being more widespread? Will those tests be available at all? Do you know those facts, or do you trust your president on this matter to resolve the "Chinese virus" and his beautiful white boats with red crosses on them?
Politics aside that's a good question. It's kind common sense I guess, if you test then you know what you are dealing with. Unfortunately in my state of over 4 million people, there are only 40 tests per day for now. You have to wonder how accurate of a picture you are getting with so few tests, especially if 80% of people show no or mild symptoms.Coronavirus: Experiment in northern Italian town halts all new infections after trial
Ackman was calling to shutdown everything for 30 days and that sounds pretty reasonable until our testing gets up to speed and they have better numbers.

Over 350 have signed the petition already. Their goal is to get 500 to sign. I reported it, stating that it intends to supercede Federal law denoting automotive production and delivery as critical process.

View attachment 523139

500 Sigs is such a low bar. Even Tesla made more Sigs than that!

Contrast: Last week when DeBlasio was being an arrogant, obstinate idiot, parents circulated a shut down the schools petition in NYC with a goal of 150K sigs. They were collected in a matter of hours. Not exactly apple to apples but still, 500 sigs? 500 internet sigs and still not getting it?

A little dramatic??? We all understand that this is a VERY serious event. No need to get hyperbolic about it.

The virus surely is hyperbolic. Who goes to a restaurant in a major city? Who travels for fun? Movie theatres are closed. Bars are closed. Countries in the EU are in lockdown. If I go out walking in a city with more than 3, I get fined. If I go out cycling with 2 other friends, I get fined. These things will come to the US too. Your freedom will be limited. Government does it in baby steps, not to cause panic (every Trump speech limits you a little bit more, have you noticed?)

And this is me, not going into the whole issue of a lot of people in the US owning guns. Really! I'm not going into gun ownership and the resulting mayhem. Really not!

Don't you expect the infection rate to "blow out" next week? I do. But I'm not sure that's what will drive stock prices because a "blow out" in the infection rate might already be largely priced in.

Here's what I do know: Market bottoms are largely unpredictable even if you have an above-average ability to connect the dots and you have a lot of information to work with. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate news like this - I do and, if it happens, it could very well be the catalyst that precipitates the market bottom. But we won't know until after the fact.
I agree. I think the uncertainy right now is "when will cases blow out and we reach Italy levels" and "ok, that was bad, how fast can people get back to work?"

Anyone who gives money to the Saudis and Russians after their massive contributions to the global crisis is an idiot.

Been flipping through pics of Fremont production areas. Can someone show me a more optimal social distancing environment? As long as meals/breaks are taken in isolation, working at Tesla Fremont is probably as safe as it gets.
I got the same impression from my tour about 3 weeks ago. No stuffed air, everything is spaced out. The only closeness I remember would be at a stamping press where several people were somewhat close to each other. I think that can be worked around...

Extrapolate the Italian daily death rate to the US. Imagine pictures of the hospital ships being full and refusing extra patients. Restaurants and hotels will go out of business, people will loose their jobs and houses. Construction halts. The service industry halts. Travel is dead. Banks will be in worse shape than in 2008. Companies will be valued accordingly. The Model Y launch did nothing for the share price. Nothing. So will battery day (for which I was very excited!) Nothing matters at this point, only the health of those close to you. The only thing which will move the market is death counts, riots and medical shortages.

I was long TSLA in shares until the return to 600. The US pandemic is bigger than everyone imagines, it will be equal or worse than Italy. Now I'm short on companies which are impacted (long list to choose from)
Why is that? If you extrapolate the same rate then the impact should be about the same.

With how things have shaped up for TSLA, anybody buying calls close to P&D report or earnings. Or do you think it's better to wait until next week?

I mean all these people on TV crying like the world is coming to an end have probably set panic levels to all time highs so I feel like we can only go up from here, especially if there is any sort of positive news on treatment and signs that social distancing is working.

With how things have shaped up for TSLA, anybody buying calls close to P&D report or earnings. Or do you think it's better to wait until next week?

I mean all these people on TV crying like the world is coming to an end have probably set panic levels to all time highs so I feel like we can only go up from here, especially if there is any sort of positive news on treatment and signs that social distancing is working.
On TV there is likely to be as much positive news about social distancing as there is to be positive news about Tesla. Media thrives on negativity.

Been flipping through pics of Fremont production areas. Can someone show me a more optimal social distancing environment? As long as meals/breaks are taken in isolation, working at Tesla Fremont is probably as safe as it gets.

not unless they are disinfecting cars after every workstation touches it. Hundreds of people touch the same car in the course of its run through the factory, so one person exposes them all.

People finally figured out that hedge funds simply take fees and in the long run low fee investment in the broader market shows a greater return. Now all they can do is manufacture volatility and take advantage. What exactly did we think was going to happen?
"We" didn't have much say in it.

Reactions: UncaNed
The virus surely is hyperbolic. Who goes to a restaurant in a major city? Who travels for fun? Movie theatres are closed. Bars are closed. Countries in the EU are in lockdown. If I go out walking in a city with more than 3, I get fined. If I go out cycling with 2 other friends, I get fined. These things will come to the US too. Your freedom will be limited. Government does it in baby steps, not to cause panic (every Trump speech limits you a little bit more, have you noticed?)

And this is me, not going into the whole issue of a lot of people in the US owning guns. Really! I'm not going into gun ownership and the resulting mayhem. Really not!
Smoke a Cohiba and Chill!

not unless they are disinfecting cars after every workstation touches it. Hundreds of people touch the same car in the course of its run through the factory, so one person exposes them all.

honestly I think Tesla is doing more harm than good to its brand by trying to fight a shutdown put in place due to a public heath emergency.

Extrapolate the Italian daily death rate to the US. Imagine pictures of the hospital ships being full and refusing extra patients. Restaurants and hotels will go out of business, people will loose their jobs and houses. Construction halts. The service industry halts. Travel is dead. Banks will be in worse shape than in 2008. Companies will be valued accordingly. The Model Y launch did nothing for the share price. Nothing. So will battery day (for which I was very excited!) Nothing matters at this point, only the health of those close to you. The only thing which will move the market is death counts, riots and medical shortages.

I was long TSLA in shares until the return to 600. The US pandemic is bigger than everyone imagines, it will be equal or worse than Italy. Now I'm short on companies which are impacted (long list to choose from)

US Americans are tougher and used to _much_ more risk in their lives than Europeans. Look at all the (common) natural disasters in the US, tornadoes, wild fires. People there pick up their pieces and go on with their lives as best as they can.

So while I think a _lot_ of older and weaker people in the USA will likely die in the coming weeks and months, I think the country as a whole will soldier on.

Does anyone know if anyone at GF3 was confirmed to have CV-19? What is their process if someone is determined to have CV-19?

As has been previously stated, Tesla is better suited than pretty much any other large US corporation to handle this due to their experience at GF3. It might be more hectic since Fremont doesn't have as clean of a floor plan as GF3, but I am confident in the creativity of Tesla's engineers to modify GF3's CV-19 plan to work within the Fremont building.

I don't think highly automated production has this concern. They're not handing parts to/from one another.

I would be willing to wager Elon knows how to create and maintain a sterile manufacturing environment.

Let alone the fact that these healthy 20-50 year olds are in absolutely no danger whatsoever. Monitor, test, and quarantine....just like Korea did.

I don't think enough people have realized that most Americans are going to get the virus and that we are just trying to slow it down. I assume most of you realize, but we are living through history. Just like 9/11 changed the US, so will this, perhaps in larger ways. I believe Tesla and companies like it are poised to take advantage.

Because nobody gives a f*ck about the Italian stock exchange nor their economy, and everyone looks at the S&P 500, Nasdaq, Dow Jones.
Oh, I meant on the people side, not the market side. It will likely get like Italy here, where health professionals have to choose who lives and dies.