Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
NYC mayor tests Elon Musk's offer to make ventilators during the coronavirus crisis

Get ready for another state of production hell.
This one could be a win, win, win...

The one guide we have is the Thai sub, that was a fairly simple design, but Tesla/SpaceX can move fast when they are motivated.

And making Ventilators may be a useful way of giving employees useful work when factories would otherwise be shut.

So if anyone can ramp this quickly, your money would have to be on Elon/Tesla/SpaceX.

I'm getting pretty annoyed at these people at this point. I have coworkers that are chatting on online about scenarios using this type of language to base their opinions. They are literally talking about how there will be a bank cash crunch because everyone's going to rush to withdraw money. Just ridiculous

Edit: I get its fear mongering to get people to listen.....but as someone above said, there's good and bad. And lots of unintended consequences for people and their finances(not talking about shareholders or investors)

I was stung very badly by the Savings and Loan Crisis in Maryland in 1985. I had many thousands of dollars in the S&L when the Government shut them down. It was almost 2 years before I got access to that money, less interest. I didn't pay attention to all the people taking their money out of the S&L banks. Thankfully, I was making enough income to live without that money. My daughter had her life savings in that bank. If something similar happens now, I will be first in line to move money to safety. Even now, we keep our liquid assets in several banks so if one goes belly-up, we will have other source of money.

Shanghai makes a big difference now. You can imagine they are building the expansion crazier than ever during the next months. Probably biggest concern is the remaining supply-chain from US. Was it 50% of parts or so?

Fremont probably opens only when local infection rates get lower. That can take weeks or months. It's not realistic sooner unless Elon produces space suits for everyone. He could though...

Some here say it's stupid to compare US to Italy situation... It's even more stupid to compare to China situation. They handled things better because they shut everything down in the hit areas immediately. Europe and US didn't. Lingang area was never properly hit by the virus because of just-in-time shutdown and that's why Shanghai factory is now running again. Fremont doesn't have this advantage and disagree buttons don't change this reality. Luckily part of Tesla operations are now in China unlike last year.

Of course the US situation could end up being much better than in Europe and Fremont could open after few weeks, but it's really optimistic to count on that. The only real advantage US has now are the examples from various countries to learn from.

I have a son being born into this craziness... Due May 11,. I proposed to my wife we name him Covid. She was not a fan of the idea.
She is going to want to kill you while she is trying to give birth anyway... :eek: so you may as well press for it now! Same odds..:D

PS: Talk about a major squeeze in a stock market thread. o_O

Last edited:
The one guide we have is the Thai sub, that was a fairly simple design, but Tesla/SpaceX can move fast when they are motivated.

And making Ventilators may be a useful way of giving employees useful work when factories would otherwise be shut.

So if anyone can ramp this quickly, your money would have to be on Elon/Tesla/SpaceX.

On the flip side, you can expect TONS of attack articles about it, to make sure everyone hates him for it, just like with that sub.

I was stung very badly by the Savings and Loan Crisis in Maryland in 1985. I had many thousands of dollars in the S&L when the Government shut them down. It was almost 2 years before I got access to that money, less interest. I didn't pay attention to all the people taking their money out of the S&L banks. Thankfully, I was making enough income to live without that money. My daughter had her life savings in that bank. If something similar happens now, I will be first in line to move money to safety. Even now, we keep our liquid assets in several banks so if one goes belly-up, we will have other source of money.

The 2008 financial crisis was the closest we'll get to questioning the liquidity of banks and their ability to pay out to people trying to take money out. That was exacerbated by the fact that the financial crisis came out of nowhere because people weren't aware of how badly leveraged the banks.

This is not that situation. Banks were required to go through much stricter stress tests since 2008 and they are in a very good state to handle this. Combined this with the fact that this is a slow moving situation where governments around the world have time to assess the financial viability banks as we go forward means there is absolutely no threat to someone's money and their ability get access to it.

Talk of not being able to withdraw money is fear mongering that is not backed up by any facts.

IT'S ON!!! Tesla just opened up a New Design Studio for Model V!!!

Surprising options!
  • One unit can ventilate up 5 patients, optional 7.
  • Standard version has battery backup good for 24 hours with 3.7 kW of solar power included.
  • Or upgrade to Long Life for 42 hours of operation.
  • Performance version to accelerate to healthy enough to climb two flights of stairs, if you know what I mean.
  • Pricing starts at $37k, comparable to Model 3.

/s

The FDIC was born from that debacle. So a bank run isn't needed, as you now have recourse. Now a government shutdown on the other hand ...

SP can shoot up by 20% if that happens, as many shortz will be scrambling to cover
Not going to happen. Shorts (i.e. brokers) own the politicians. I'm looking forward to seeing GS and JPM's earnings for Q1. Bet they didn't suffer a bit. In fact, made a lot during this 30% market "revaluation". Guess how!

Shanghai makes a big difference now. You can imagine they are building the expansion crazier than ever during the next months. Probably biggest concern is the remaining supply-chain from US. Was it 50% of parts or so?

Fremont probably opens only when local infection rates get lower. That can take weeks or months. It's not realistic sooner unless Elon produces space suits for everyone. He could though...

Some here say it's stupid to compare US to Italy situation... It's even more stupid to compare to China situation. They handled things better because they shut everything down in the hit areas immediately. Europe and US didn't. Lingang area was never properly hit by the virus because of just-in-time shutdown and that's why Shanghai factory is now running again. Fremont doesn't have this advantage and disagree buttons don't change this reality. Luckily part of Tesla operations are now in China unlike last year.

Of course the US situation could end up being much better than in Europe and Fremont could open after few weeks, but it's really optimistic to count on that. The only real advantage US has now are the examples from various countries to learn from.

No ones's saying to expect China results in the US when it comes to infection rates and mortality rates. But I would definitely argue that Italy is way....way far to the extreme side in worst case scenario vs china being way far to non-severity side. Again, there are very key reasons as to why Italy's situation is so much worse than other countries, not just China. Many other countries have handled it better than Italy.

I'll reiterate again, unemployment equals deaths. That has been statistically shown and proven. A government hand out of $1,200 a month is not going to do much. The unemployment situation will get to a breaking point much faster than this virus. Governments and people will come to this realization that you have to open the economy back up.

BTW, at the moment I've seen anything that actually explains the high mortality rate in Italy.
Pollution is bad, old population, stressed health system: ok.
But numbers still don't add up, and the scientific community still doesn't know for certain.
One of there scary reason, probably, is that the virus is much more widespread and we are counting just the the positive andvery critical cases that reach the hospitals. My family physician friends tell me they have probably dozens of positive patients but they have to tell them to stay at home, without a test.

This means the virus can spread wide and fast, so it's a big uncertainty.

Meanwhile, Musk tweets that in a month USA will be without cases....