Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay, I dealing with a lot of crises at the moment. They have come in this sequence.
  1. Brexit - 3 years and hasn't really happened yet
  2. Climate change
  3. Covid
  4. TSLA halving in price
  5. Panic shopping fallout
  6. Karen leaving
  7. FC leaving
What is interesting is that each of these is worse than the previous... Factchecking is the best poster here bar none.

What's next? Actual zombies?

Lodger - I really treasure your aftermarket reports and short exempt reports so please keep providing this valuable service. However you keep misrepresenting what "short exempt" means. It does NOT mean NAKED SHORT SELLING!
The term comes from 17 CFR § 242.200 (g) (2) which says:

17 CFR § 242.201 (c) says:

which are both unrelated to the naked short selling exception (Not exemption) described in 17 CFR § 242.203 (b) (2) (iii)

Basically short-exempt means either that the broker-dealer (market makers and others!!) is exempt from the uptick rule either because (c) they swear that when they entered the order it really, really! was above the best national bid - but just in case by marking it exempt it will execute even if for some reason it's not (above the best national bid) when it actually gets to the "market" 70 microseconds later or (d) it's part of some basket transaction or various other unlikely conditions.

So short-exempt is specifically "exempt" from the up-tick rule (and thus only meaningful when the up-tick rule is in effect) usually because the broker-dealer decided themselves that it met the rule so NASDAQ or various ECN's can skip the up-tick rule check and just go ahead an execute it anyway.
Thank you for explanation, it looks like the short exempt may have an additional source, if a broker-dealer choses to check that box voluntarily, looks like to save them grief in HFT.

Factual - yes, but i doubt this act of self-marking is prevalent and meaningful, as we are observing a correlation that this % spikes with atypically down days.

• Helpful
Reactions: humbaba
Futures opened and immediately on the forth candle went to limit down - another very bad Monday is upon us

upload_2020-3-22_19-7-5.png

If I am interpreting it correctly, The S&P made it for 4 minutes, the DOW made it to 7 minutes, and the NASDAQ got all the way to 32 minutes before hitting limit down.

EDIT Looks like it will be a good day to buy !

Last edited:
Money rotation into America 2.0 tech stocks
Tbh I don’t expect Tesla to crash in multiples of the market down days anymore, as it is more well positioned than others to handle this downturn.
Tesla is not depending on bailout grants or loans; thus, this package doesn’t help them as much as it does other companies. Plus, it is geographically hedged and capable of socially distanced business (via touchless deliveries).
Anyway, I hope I’m right. But to be safe, I transitioned out of shorter term calls end of last wk to be safe. Will possibly make short term plays on any dips into late Tuesday or Wednesday.
However, I expect other stocks I’ve entered into positions on recently (except maybe Google and Zoom) will dip though - including LULU, MGM and NRG.
Edit: yes, I’m not longer 100% Tesla after all these stocks have presented discounts for us....

Futures opened and immediately on the forth candle went to limit down - another very bad Monday is upon us
What is really disturbing is that it appears that the reason the US markets are not shut down is that major brokerages and large hedge funds are, once again, being allowed to try to get out of their 10 to 15x-leveraged, losing positions at the expense of the retail investor.

Tbh I don’t expect Tesla to crash in multiples of the market down days anymore, as it is more well positioned than others to handle this downturn.
Tesla is not depending on bailout grants or loans; thus, this package doesn’t help them as much as it does other companies. Plus, it is geographically hedged and capable of socially distanced business (via touchless deliveries).
Anyway, I hope I’m right. But to be safe, I transitioned out of shorter term calls end of last wk to be safe. Will possibly make short term plays on any dips into late Tuesday or Wednesday.
However, I expect other stocks I’ve entered into positions on recently (except maybe Google and Zoom) will dip though - including LULU, MGM and NRG.
Edit: yes, I’m not longer 100% Tesla after all these stocks have presented discounts for us....
I think there will be a margin call domino effect combined with delta hedging put squeeze, plus the dumb shorts that love to sell low, which is the complete opposite of what we experienced in early February. I’m expecting $1xx as the bottom. Good for opportunists, bad for leveraged gamblers

... I got absolutely screwed last Monday when I had to quickly put in a Market order for FCAU Puts before I scrubbed into surgery, only to see them filled at SEVEN times the Bid/Ask price. The trade was supposed to cost around $20k, instead Fidelity forced it through and I was instantly down over $100k after the trade (I have never had that happen before with a Market order)! Day trading when you can't watch it is dangerous. :(
I've been trading options for 30 years. Only once did I ever place a market order for an options contract. It was a near-expiration (few days left) SP500 index contract that had huge volume (huge for options, like nearly one trade a minute) and I still got screwed by about $10k because it didn't execute for over 2 hours, even though it was a market order. I'm certain E*trade front-ran me; they were never able to explain why a market order took over 2 hours to fill with literally thousands of trades printed between order entry and execution and they refused to compensate me. Needless to say I dropped them as a broker right away (this was in the era of dial-up). Learned my lesson and I never, ever, ever use market orders on options contracts. I very rarely use them for stock orders. Brokers and MM can't be trusted.

A worthy discussion to have.

One thing to be mindful of is that Tesla is firmly in the premium car segment. It would be good for anyone who had data about how the premium segment of new car sales has held up in previous economic shocks, to share it here.

• Helpful
Reactions: FrankSG
@KarenRei and @Fact Checking, please come back.:eek: It's really boring without you. My body is wasting away. Brain ok so far, but it needs exercise too.

Yes, I hope they come back both are informative, interesting and just about always factually correct.

My understanding is Karen is not banned, it is mostly a "strong disagreement" with a mod, so she is free to come back and I hope she does.

I think we all need to do more to help mods, that is posting less and using Like and Dislike more.

So if I think a post has nailed 90% of the argument, I'll give it a like and not bother attempting to add the other 10%,
I'll give many more dislikes, especially if I consider a post "narrative framing" or off topic.

I'll also try to refrain from engineering and technical type posts or look for a better thread for them.

Mostly, I'll try to ensure posts are better quality and may contain some new information...

I'm also ditching lame attempts at humour and will not use the Funny rating... I'll use Like instead.,

My suggestions, lift our game, and beg Karen to come back.

Think about how wild this week should be. To start off we have absolute peak hysteria with half the nation on complete shutdown. By the end of the week we should have a grasp of CV mortality rate.

Literally anything could happen from down another 20% to up 20%. Maybe even a more moderate version of BOTH.

I stick by my initial feeling that we have an unprecedented amount of cash already on the sidelines and not even in bonds. Don't want to mention too much stuff outside the CV thread, but IF we see a slower spread than predicted and sharply lower mortality, this cash will flood back in an instant. Computers don't wait and see when FOMO sets in.

There is no way Warren Buffett didn't spend the weekend working on buying into Boeing and the like. Berkshire will halve their cash pile before April is out, perhaps sooner.

Last edited:
I think there will be a margin call domino effect combined with delta hedging put squeeze, plus the dumb shorts that love to sell low, which is the complete opposite of what we experienced in early February. I’m expecting $1xx as the bottom. Good for opportunists, bad for leveraged gamblers
$100’s would be craazy to me. I wouldn’t be surprised at 200’s, but I was personally thinking low 300’s

A worthy discussion to have.

One thing to be mindful of is that Tesla is firmly in the premium car segment. It would be good for anyone who had data about how the premium segment of new car sales has held up in previous economic shocks, to share it here.

Also a good amount of the Tesla customer pool are in the group that can work from home and thus are not part of the groups experiencing the income loss right now.