Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On a Norwegian forum someone said Tesla is upgrading their 2018 Model S to HW3 tomorrow.

So could this let Tesla release more of their FSD money for Europe?

Many of us promised HW3 will fork out additional $$$ to get the MC2 upgrade at the same time. That is what I will do. Possibly some time in May.

Source: Tesla tilbyr ikke HW3-oppgradering foreløpig
Well, tomorrow is already next quarter, so that one car does not improve numbers for Q1. If many others are upgraded, that might move the needle a bit ;)

Well S**T! I've been stuck indoors for so long that I thought yesterday was the end of Mar!

My apologies to the forum for being ... words fail to even describe how utterly dumb this mistake was!
Don't feel bad... I thought yesterday was Tuesday all day long and woke up this morning thinking it was April... but I was just fooling myself...

People disagreeing with this post: it is not an opinion. It's a fact. The burden of proof is on you to show manipulation is taking place. If you have such evidence, present it. But a stock going down is not in and of itself proof that it is being manipulated, sheesh.
Agreed. It's disappointing that full on FUD/manipulation is seen as the default position and used as a catchall explanation for anything that can be perceived as negative without justification of the magnitude of the impact.

While it's clear that FUD and manipulation are factors in market movements, the extent of the impact needs to be supported with evidence.

Tesla is at one of its lowest % of shares sold short ever, and the extreme FUD compared to early/mid 2019 has also died down.

Haven't seen this posted here yet, and haven't yet had a chance to preview, but Sandy Munro has posted a series of videos on the Model Y here: https://munrolive.com/munrolive

EDIT: Just a short 3 video series, but so far so good. He seemed pretty positive on the fit and finish for an early run car.

Teslarati article with a bit more information: Livestream of Tesla Model Y teardown is coming from industry expert Sandy Munro

Evidently the teardown will be livestreamed April 2 at the website above, with a rapid disassembly livestream scheduled for April 6

Last edited:
Well this is nice. TSLA beating the market by 5% on the last day of the quarter. I think (and it's not just confined to today's situation) that the industry accepts Tesla is in a much stronger position than the rest of the USA auto industry and indeed is in a great spot globally, with Shanghai back to as-you-were functionality.

All vehicles destined for non-USA delivery were already in-country prior to the explosion of COVID19. With the exception of Italy, Spain and some other places, I think those nations will have seen the majority of their Q1 shipments delivered successfully.

There probably would have been an upside surprise on deliveries IMO without COVID19. I'm of the opinion that only USA will see a major deficit, as that is the last market to get vehicles. My global guess is no lower than 85,000 vehicles. Anything higher than 90,000 will be a great surprise for the stock IMO.

Shorts got wiped out? What do you call the people/organizations doing all the Tesla short selling nowadays, which is around 60% of all trades on a daily basis?
It’s not 60% of all trades, it’s 60% of trades hitting the bid (sell orders). It’s called short selling volume. In fact think about it, higher short selling volume is bullish, as that means a smaller % of actual longs are selling to the bid. Also, short volume accounts for HFT market makers shorting, then covering, which is common in all stocks

Not talking about FUD. Nice try at misdirection. I'm talking about illegal market manipulation by Market Makers, in violation of SEC Regulation SHO.

No one was complaining here about a single 1% move in the Pre-Market: it is the pattern of manipulation by market makers that is so obviously and routinely happening, which you seem steadfast to diminish in severity.

Setting up a strawman then ridiculing it as delusional makes it clear you have chosen to bury your head in the sand. Perhaps you're making money now, but if this continued abuse eventually causes the entire market to collapse, money will NOT be your immediate concern.

We will have an actual EXISTENTIAL battle on our hands. And a few rich, bought lawyers will be of no help in that future (wrong kind of ammunition).

But here's the problem today: Maker Makers get bolder and more audacious with each scheme they are able to perpetrate. There are no checks and balances in the System. Why? The Market is out of balance and it will either implode or explode. It will not stop.

It's fitting that the market's main concern right now is with logarithms, because this is another symptom of the underlying problem. Equities listed on the NASDAQ are (were) worth about $7 Trillion USD. The FED is going to start buying ETFs. How many rounds of bailouts until the FED owns a controlling interest? See? There're worse sharks in these waters than even the MMs.
This only matters if you are a day trader. If you believe in Tesla’s future, you simply buy and hold for x years. Do you think Ron Baron and Baillie Gifford obsess over the market makers every single day? Stocks don’t go up in a straight line. End of story. Stop pulling your hair out with this insane conspiracy theory that market makers are going to cause Tesla damage. They sure didn’t cause Tesla damage when Elon raised capital at $767, which was a very generous valuation

The line of thought is, "if Tesla is in financial trouble, why is it giving away ventilators?" :p
Sometimes when you do good things you just trust that you’ll get something back. If it’s simply goodwill towards Tesla, or a government credit for helping out this will be good for all of Musk’s brand, going to the negotiating table during a crisis would not have been the way to go.

What about now? Up $40. You guys keep blaming shorts and manipulators. Those days are over. The shorts clearly got wiped, they are only 12% of the float which is at all time lows.

I would say some big traders may be making complex trades buying and selling the stock with options on the other side. Manipulating the market may be more a byproduct of this work, where they are finding models to profit from high volatility. I agree that shorts like Chanos are not relevant anymore, there are twitter trolls and such, but as a market force, team tslaq is not relevant. Market makers using complex models selling on the open market, buying black pools in a high volatility stock like TSLA is probably a relatively easy target to pick up millions to ticks using high frequency trading. If there is an enemy, its more likely an algorithm then tesla polls and diogenes.
That's my opinion anyhow, I have no idea how much skin Chanos or the other hedge funds still have in the game, but most of them have lost billions the last 5 years, while the rest of the market has been making new highs.