Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

As early as this week, Tesla plans to expand its lineup in China by offering a locally built Model 3 sedan with a range of more than 650 kilometers (404 miles) on one charge. That compares with about 450 kilometers for the current most basic version that starts at 323,800 yuan ($45,800). The variant would start at about 350,000 yuan before rebates, though exact pricing has yet to be decided.

Isn't the base version sold for a little under 300k yuan? I thought the ~25k yuan on top of it was a subsidy paid to Tesla.

Well here's an idea for the MODS: put your egos aside and remember that it's those that post that make a thread of value.

Seeing as how Karen and FC added massive value to the thread, an apology and an invitation to "please return" is in order (and overdue).
It isn't overdue, it happened within seconds of some of the moderators seeing her post. It is also why I resigned and RSF stepped back.
Edit: to be clear, I resigned due to workload in real life and in protest, not because it was my mistake.

It isn't overdue, it happened within seconds of some of the moderators seeing her post. It is also why I resigned and RSF stepped back.
Edit: to be clear, I resigned due to workload in real life and in protest, not because it was my mistake.
I haven't commented on this issue until now. Karen liked to go off topic, it was part of her charm. I made a concerted effort in 2019 to see off-topic (or tangentially related) comments go into the "General" thread, to preserve this one for Market related comments. This effort was unsuccesful, and in 2020 a decision was made to drop the "General" thread altogether. IMHO, with predictable results.

Some of the problem is structural:
  1. People can't see replies to a comment until they wade through all other comments in order of posting until they get to that reply. NO ONE DOES THIS (not even the MODS). A 'threaded' newsreader solves this, but TMC forum software isn't set up that way (I'd like to know if it could be done)
  2. Moderator "inline" comments do not appear when a member logs in. IMHO, there should either be:
    1. a sticky thread with all MOD comments, or have MODs send a "Group Message" to a everyone who has subscribed to a particular thread
    2. give a POPUP msg notification like the "Alert" notification you get when somebody 'Likes' your comment, but for those MOD messages.
  3. make it mandatory to read/acknowledge the "MOD Alert" before you can post again
  4. that will make it unnecessary for any particularly 'peeved' MOD to lock down this thread during the middle of a trading day to make a simple point (which should always be handled routinely) :oops:
  5. The 'Search' feature is barely usable and needs to be improved so people don't have to ask the same question repeatedly
  6. Their should be a "MODERATOR" account, so ordinary / new Users can see plainly who is posting a comment as a MOD. As it is now, it's not even possible to use 'Search' to say, Find all MOD comments posted Today, or "Since my last Login"
  7. Folks, this is a clumsys setup, and its structural, unrelated to the quality of the members who contribute to this fine Forum.
As far as @KarenRei and @Fact Checking returning, hate to say it folks, but the simplest explanation is one or both of them sold their stake due to the market impact of the global CV pandemic, and them staying away is a personal choice when they are not invested.

I know some of you won't want to entertain this idea, but other long time / senior members or MODS here have sold during this crisis, only to buy back. Swing trading is alllowed, y'all. :rolleyes:

In the mean time, let's all try to focus on adding value to this forum with each comment we make, and just one more thing: EFF da SHORTZES. :p

CH33RS!

Last edited:
Isn't the base version sold for a little under 300k yuan? I thought the ~25k yuan on top of it was a subsidy paid to Tesla.
If volume is down, or growth less then planned, spare battery capacity may be available to increase range more this year. Seems like China will be making over 3000 a week by end of this quarter and Karen is probably right about exporting in APAC region from Shanghai. Fremont can adjust production to meet 3Y demand for USA and Europe and Shanghai can take Asia Pacific region. If Fremont only built 300,000 cars this year, Tesla could still double volume.

It would be nice if Tesla made cars that actually got their supposed range. There are any number of threads on this subject. The class action suit will be a fudsters dream. Check current thread in Model S driving.

I actually have been averaging almost exactly the rated range on both my Model S 70D and my Model 3 LR. About 292 wh/mile for the S, and 242 wh/mile for the 3. But, I don't drive 15 mph over the limit like everyone else.

Here's some quotes that also indicated some pay cuts:
The email, provided to Protocol by two workers at the company's Fremont factory, said the company will begin furloughs on Monday and expects to resume normal production at U.S. facilities on May 4, "barring any significant changes.
Tesla will temporarily reduce pay for salaried employees through the second quarter of the year, the email said. Executives at the vice president level and above will see a pay cut of 30%, directors and above will see a 20% cut, and "everyone else" will be docked 10%. The company will also pause its merit review cycle, pay raises and stock grants.

Tesla announces pay cuts, furloughs, and aims to get back to production by May 4 - Electrek

This article has a copy of the email that was sent to employees. Can’t wait for FUD articles tomorrow morning lol.
I would say buy the dip unless macros completely nosedive. US factory was already expected to be offline in near future with China factory taking majority of production workload. This just decreases costs in the meantime. I don’t see any permanent losses unless the furloughed workers find jobs elsewhere or are unwilling to come back May 4, and those are not too probable at the moment.

Reading between the lines, they are extending these cost cuts thru 2Q even though covid shutdown will end before then. That plus the reference to long term plan, I assume Elon is trying to hit a profit target still for 2Q with S&P inclusion in mind...

Last edited:
I see this as good news. We have a likely date to restart by. However, no doubt the negative articles will come on strong tomorrow and the next. I'm guessing Thursday late afternoon will present a solid buying opportunity. I'll probably dive in deep as it could potentially be the last time it's near these prices. Never advice!

It would be amusing if Q2 ends up a record quarter in spite of COVID.

Posting full email here. No need to click off thread.

"
Hi Everyone,

Thank you for your continued commitment to Tesla and our mission during this unprecedented time. We know that the uncertainty has not been easy, and we are doing everything we can to keep you safe and informed while also navigating the changes around the world.

While we are continuing to keep only minimum critical operations running, we expect to resume normal production at our U.S. facilities on May 4, barring any significant changes. Until that time, it is important we take action to ensure we remain on track to achieve our long-term plans. Starting Monday, April 13, we are implementing the below actions as part of a broader effort to manage costs. This is a shared sacrifice across the company that will allow us to progress during these challenging times.

• Pay will be temporarily reduced for salaried employees.
  • For U.S. employees, these reductions are 30% for Vice Presidents and above, 20% for Directors and above, and 10% for everyone else.
  • For non-U.S. employees, there will also be comparable reductions, of which the specifics will be communicated by the local leadership team in accordance with local laws and works-councils.
  • These reductions are expected to be in place until the end of Q2
  • Employees who cannot work at home and have not been assigned to critical work onsite will be furloughed.
  • Under furlough, you remain an employee of Tesla (without pay) and retain your healthcare benefits. You will not report to work until the furlough ends and you are directed to return by management, which we expect to be May 4.
  • A furlough notice will be emailed to you in the coming days with additional instructions on how to apply for unemployment benefits through your state agency.
  • For the vast majority of furloughed employees, unemployment benefits will be roughly equivalent to normal take home pay.
  • Certain employees will be assigned to critical functions and they will continue to report onsite. Those employees will be communicated to directly by their manager or HR partner.
For the merit review cycle:

• Salary and hourly rate adjustments will be put on hold.
  • Equity grants will be on hold as well.
If you would like to take a voluntary leave of absence, as some have reached out to request, please discuss with your manager and HR partner.

We continue to monitor the situation closely, and our top priority is to ensure the safety of our employees. As usual, for those who are onsite, if you are sick or are uncomfortable coming to work, please contact your manager and stay at home. We respect your decision and you will not be penalized. For HR-related questions, contact your HR partner or email [redacted].

Thank you all so very much for everything you do to ensure the success of our company.

Valerie

Valerie Capers Workman | North America HR + AU/NZ/JP/KR Registered In House Counse"

I would say buy the dip unless macros completely nosedive. US factory was already expected to be offline in near future with China factory taking majority of production workload. This just decreases costs in the meantime. I don’t see any permanent losses unless the furloughed workers find jobs elsewhere or are unwilling to come back May 4, and those are not too probable at the moment.

Even with all the vertical integration Tesla has mastered I think the supply chain impacts is what I would be most concerned about. I think Q2 could be mostly Model Y production in Fremont and Model 3 production in Shanghai.

I realize EV-CPO is at best directional in terms of inventory numbers but I have seen US and ROW inventory drop gradually this month. Assuming they sell all of the Q1 inventory I can see deliveries of 14K Q1inventory+35K model 3s in China+ 20-25K new Q2 production inventory; 70-75K deliveries.

So a full 6 weeks of shutdown, with gradual restart of a few weeks at best... does someone a has model to estimate impact on production for 2020? Looks in the ballpark of -80k...
Technically they are making <7.5k a week. So 6 week is only 45k. Ramp up slowness can be covered over time, given they will add some efficiency. Yes Q2 can be slow, I guess 70-90k deliveries (from the inventory 20k, and new production from China GF3 20-30k, and Fremont 45k).

Reactions: Sudre and 2virgule5