Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here’s a bit more on California’s plans. I’m cautiously optimistic about Tesla Fremont in early May.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article242004001.html

Newsom says his team is looking at six key parameters to determine when to start reopening the state’s economy:

• Expanding testing
  • Protecting high risk groups, including seniors, the medically vulnerable and people in facilities like nursing homes
  • Ensuring hospitals have enough beds and supplies to care for patients
  • Progress in developing treatments
  • Ability of schools and businesses to support physical distancing
  • Ability to decide when to reinstitute stay-at-home orders if needed
“The most important is our ability to expand our testing,” Newsom said.

[...]

The reopening of the state will be less like flipping a light switch, and more like adjusting a dimmer, Newsom said.

Newsom has said he does not yet plan to announce a “pin-pointed date” for reopening. Instead, he’s focused what evidence state officials will need to see that danger from the virus has waned before they make changes to the orders.​

Sold 105 shares at 573 on Friday, confident that I would be able to pick them up 30 or 40 dollars cheaper after the weekend.

LOL f**#ing rocket ship. Goddamn Space X.

This is a small percentage of my overall holdings but goddam lost a quick 150 bump. See, should have sold TODAY confident I could get those 105 shares back at a lower price.

Anyway....plan to get them all back plus. Soon. Maybe learn my lesson this time. NEVER SELL ONLY BUY o_O

Have to admit if it was anything more than a fraction of my ownership would have lost my mind, so I feel for you. As it is I am OK if it continues to go up 10% a day for the next few weeks.

If it makes anyone feel any better I bought $120K worth of shares at $573 on Thursday right before market close. I was feeling really bullish after a positive week. During the weekend I read so much negative economic news about the economy that I was afraid the stock was going to plummet Monday morning. So Monday morning comes and I'm so relieved that the share price is up $10 at open that I sold it all, went for bike ride to calm my nerves after a fretful weekend. Boy what a mistake, do I feel dumb. I get the prize for dumbest member of TMC.

I'm thinking if the stock continues on this tear Tesla should perhaps raise more cap to swoop up any factories that might become vacant from zombie ICE firms....
There are way too many disadvantages. Among others is that they are very dirty (e.g. contaminated sites) and so have no or negative value at end of life.

Sold 105 shares at 573 on Friday, confident that I would be able to pick them up 30 or 40 dollars cheaper after the weekend.

LOL f**#ing rocket ship. Goddamn Space X.

This is a small percentage of my overall holdings but goddam lost a quick 150 bump. See, should have sold TODAY confident I could get those 105 shares back at a lower price.

Anyway....plan to get them all back plus. Soon. Maybe learn my lesson this time. NEVER SELL ONLY BUY o_O

Have to admit if it was anything more than a fraction of my ownership would have lost my mind, so I feel for you. As it is I am OK if it continues to go up 10% a day for the next few weeks.

In my opinion it doesn't make sense to try to sell TSLA shares on a rally to buy them back at a lower price because of the extremely high short interest. The whole reason Tesla is so volatile is because shorts have to trim on the way up, and they attack on the way down. If I was going to try to sell and buy back later I'd do it in a downtrend, not an uptrend. Smarter yet just leave those shares be.

It's very unlikely that those factories are set up to make Tesla cars.

So before they can build any Teslas they will have to get rid of all the junk from the previous owner. And then the buildings may not match the Gigafactory setups. So they would have to upgrade the buildings.

Sounds like a lot of extra work to me.

Its more work to restructure a factory into a Tesla production line like GF3 and 4 compared to build a new one.

To give an example, you need a special foundation for the large press Tesla is using and thats usually not available. I could continue with a ton of examples why it makes no sense for Tesla to buy an existing facility even if they get it for free. Fremont (Nummi) was an exception in the early days and now a pretty messy area (think about the spring tents) but I don't expect Tesla to do it again.

Almost instantly after the close, back up another $5. Someone was working very hard to push the closing price down.
I am betting a close above 10% would have caused the typical Short margin call tomorrow morning and Market Makers do not want that. Let them boil on a medium heat. I am actually hoping for a little consolidation. Get the Shorts nice and comfortable before the next leg up.

Ya know.... It's kinda funny I consider a $60 rise a slow boil! LOL

If it makes anyone feel any better I bought $120K worth of shares at $573 on Thursday right before market close. I was feeling really bullish after a positive week. During the weekend I read so much negative economic news about the economy that I was afraid the stock was going to plummet Monday morning. So Monday morning comes and I'm so relieved that the share price is up $10 at open that I sold it all, went for bike ride to calm my nerves after a fretful weekend. Boy what a mistake, do I feel dumb. I get the prize for dumbest member of TMC.

Two sides to every coin!

I'm simultaneously a member of the "never sold a share of TSLA" club and the "never realized any TSLA gains" club.

That being said, never selling has let me accumulate at a nice low basis without worrying too much about timing my buys correctly. Only issue is I only ever see an upside, so I have no exit strategy. Why sell at $700 when it could be $1,400 by the end of the year? Why sell at $1,400 when it could be $2,800 after that... :confused:

Here’s a bit more on California’s plans. I’m cautiously optimistic about Tesla Fremont in early May.
https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article242004001.html

Newsom says his team is looking at six key parameters to determine when to start reopening the state’s economy:

• Expanding testing
  • Protecting high risk groups, including seniors, the medically vulnerable and people in facilities like nursing homes
  • Ensuring hospitals have enough beds and supplies to care for patients
  • Progress in developing treatments
  • Ability of schools and businesses to support physical distancing
  • Ability to decide when to reinstitute stay-at-home orders if needed
“The most important is our ability to expand our testing,” Newsom said.

[...]

The reopening of the state will be less like flipping a light switch, and more like adjusting a dimmer, Newsom said.

Newsom has said he does not yet plan to announce a “pin-pointed date” for reopening. Instead, he’s focused what evidence state officials will need to see that danger from the virus has waned before they make changes to the orders.​

He said he thinks in two weeks he can have a date for the beginning of reopening. That will be April 28 so hopefully he decides reopening can begin on May 4. I think it makes sense for the most essential of the now closed businesses to reopen first and that would I think include Fremont. Ideally workers could tested first with the negatives allowed to return to work.

Reactions: engle and mblakele
Dumbest? This barely gets you into the top 5,000!

I was so sure 1Q deliveries were going to juice SP that I bought a bunch of $500/$600 calls for the day after. SP barely moved......til a few days later. I bought so many far out of the money SolarCity LEAPs in 2015/16 the market makers must've thought I was clinically insane!

Pull this buy high, sell low stunt again a few times then get back to me for your ranking.

Two sides to every coin!

I'm simultaneously a member of the "never sold a share of TSLA" club and the "never realized any TSLA gains" club.

That being said, never selling has let me accumulate at a nice low basis without worrying too much about timing my buys correctly. Only issue is I only ever see an upside, so I have no exit strategy. Why sell at $700 when it could be $1,400 by the end of the year? Why sell at $1,400 when it could be $2,800 after that... :confused:

If you haven't figured out your exit strategy 10 years from now, let me know. I'll help you to create an exit plan. I always make sure to do what's best for me.

You get no prize because some of us have made much dumber mistakes but haven't posted them on the forum.

I'm one of them.

Tornados are scary, but do surprisingly targeted damage.

I live in the bay and was there during the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake but am from the midwest and am currently in "tornado alley" right now. Earthquakes worry more more than tornados.

Also worth noting that the biggest insurance claims by tornado are 1/5th the largest claims for an earthquake.
There was a rare (thankfully) tornado that went through Rockville, Maryland that yanked an oak tree out of the ground, (4-5ft diameter). It passed about ~2 miles south of Gude Drive Tesla store going west to East.
(and a bunch of others)

• Informative
Reactions: wipster
Not TSLA but FUV got a nice little bump today due to their earnings.
Two sides to every coin!

I think we will know when Tesla starts to hit the low growth phase. That's when you start peeling shares away and selling to buyers who want to buy a blue chip/stable company. ;)

Indeed. I briefly lived in Joplin in the early eighties. During the spring we were constantly under tornado alerts. In 2011 my apartment building was blown away along with many others.

2011 Joplin tornado - Wikipedia

I concur that the tornadoes and severe thunderstorms in Missouri can be a serious threat. I was flying into St. Louis and Kansas City often as an airline pilot during the late 1980s. My way of avoiding the tornadoes when airborne? Radar was essential for remaining 20 miles away from the worst thunderstorms, but never, ever, fly over a trailer park. Those places just suck the tornadoes in, I'm telling you. Just watch the news. /s