Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks, just added two May 15 $900 calls after reading this and the posts by @BenPrice. Don't worry, if it doesn't work out the blame is all mine. :)

Get paid sir.

I will be too.

Cannot wait for earnings now...too many heavy hitters propping us up. Anybody short must close now given macro environment.

Attachments

• FC2A51A2-613F-4323-B483-0D98F043EBA7.png
    FC2A51A2-613F-4323-B483-0D98F043EBA7.png
    272.9 KB · Views: 67
Wonder whether yesterday's hitpiece from the Sacramento Bee editorial board is related to Mclatchy's buyout offer from a couple of hedge funds today. Seems fishy... The string of hitpieces based on the Bee editorial seems very similar to something that would come out from Definers Public Affairs.

McClatchy Gets Takeover Offer From Chatham, Brigade Capital
Bid from hedge funds would allow newspaper publisher to leave chapter 11 bankruptcy this year
By Jonathan Randles
April 16, 2020 2:19 pm ET

McClatchy Co. said Thursday it has received a takeover offer from two hedge-fund managers—and senior debtholders—that would get the newspaper publisher’s business out of chapter 11 bankruptcy this year.

Hedge funds Chatham Asset Management LLC and Brigade Capital Management LP have offered to forgive $263 million in McClatchy senior debt in exchange for purchasing the assets of the publishing business.

McClatchy Gets Takeover Offer From Chatham, Brigade Capital

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: AZRI11
Yes, the After-hrs climb started moments after this CNBC report was posted:

Trump issues guidelines to open up parts of US where coronavirus cases decline, testing ramps up | CNBC.com
  • President Donald Trump is set to unveil broad new federal guidelines laying out conditions for parts of the U.S. to start relaxing the strict measures imposed to try to slow the spread of the coronavirus.
  • The new guidance will identify the necessary circumstances for areas of the country to allow employees to start returning to work – but the decision will ultimately be made by state governors, two sources told CNBC.
  • The new guidance ramps up pressure on governors to loosen their restrictions, even as health experts and business leaders alike warn that widespread testing systems are needed before Americans can safely start returning to their normal lives.
Dow futures rip 800 points higher amid report Gilead drug showing effectiveness treating coronavirus | CNBC.com

"U.S. stock futures surged on Thursday night after a report said a Gilead Sciences drug was showing effectiveness in treating the coronavirus. The move pointed to a jump for the stock market on Friday.

"Dow Jones Industrial Average futures were up 800 points, or about 3.4%. S&P 500 futures gained 3.2% while Nasdaq 100 futures were up by 2.1%.

"Gilead shares jumped by 14% in after-hours trading after STAT news reported that a Chicago hospital treating coronavirus patients with Remdesivir in a trial were recovering rapidly from severe symptoms. The publication cited a video it obtained where the trial results were discussed."​

Last edited:
I won’t hold you to it, but is it still worth buying calls tomorrow? haha

I’m trying to stick to the trading thread now - so to respect the nice members who asked for momentary advice to be in that thread I will be doing that.

I expected to lose a tiny bit on my decision today given max pain and potential for manipulation but the Recent cap raise, news from China, and likelihood of Fremont re-open should protect near term decisions to a degree. I also believe most big money shorts have either closed or must close near term due to the weird global situation. Lastly the Munro news and customer news on Model Y certainly support it being highly competitive.

I think short term moves are “safe” but also no out of the money option is anything besides risk.

I may add tomorrow if we dip to facilitate max pain, but it seems out of control at the moment.

Last time I’ll use “round table” for momentary stuff. Apologies to the members who this upsets - simply replying to a direct question.

Last edited:
I'm 99.9% sure that this blog has previously made some complete garbage "articles" on SpaceX hirings. It's been a little while, so I can't recall all the details, but it was also thinknum, and the layout looked identical to this one. The so-called data they presented on SpaceX was completely useless.

Actually, make that 100% sure - It's the same blogger and everything.

I haven't looked closely at this article, but just maybe keep it in mind.

As to what this means, I think IT, Engineering and Manufacturing staff are the staff competitors are most likely to poach, a downturn is a good to to acquire or re-acquire talent, when competitors may be cost cutting and have their eye off the ball.

I also think they want to fly out of the blocks with Q2 production when Fremont re-opens for the following reasons:-
  • In case there is a V shaped recovery
  • In case there is a delayed reopen, or a later shutdown.
  • To get inventory on the boat to Europe ASAP.
  • They can always shut later in the quarter for retooling if demand is an issue.

So production is a bigger unknown and a bigger risk than demand at this time, that might flip, but only after at least 3-4 weeks of solid production.

It is always worth acquiring and retaining scarce talent, people remember who gave them a job in tough times and might be a bit more loyal.
Talent is probably the biggest issue constraining the Tesla rate of growth long term, not capital, raw materials, parts, production or demand.

(EDIT:: Or if the article is garbage I retract some of that, but the need to fly out of the blocks Q2 remains a constant).

After-action Report: Thu, Apr 16, 2020: (Full-Day's Trading)

VWAP: $737.44
Volume: 20,664,504
Traded: $15,238,827,847.91 ($15.24 B)

Closing SP / VWAP: 101.24%
(TSLA closed ABOVE today's Avg SP)​

FINRA Short/Total Volume = 60.4% (53rd Percentile rank Shorting)
FINRA Volume / Total NASDAQ Vol = 52.4% (58th Percentile rank FINRA Reporting)

Comment: "After-hrs macro boost"

TSLA - SUMMARY TABLE - 2020-04-16.png

Last edited: